Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Cardiff (home)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Stockdale = 6 If not for the howler would of been a 7 , much better distribution than of late .
Bennett = 8 *MOM Best ive seen from him so far .
Greer = 7 Good game dealt with Jones prety well
Dunk = 6 Quiet game still did the important things well .
Bruno = 6 Did ok nothing spectacular - Oh
Holla = 7 Put himself about some nice link up play going forward .
Gardener = 7 Much better from him tonight
Teixera = 5 Tried to take on the world and ended up beating himself all night long .
JFC = 7 Nice steady game would of been a 8 but woeful finishing im afraid .
Lualua= 7 Ran his socks off all night again let down by his finishing
Cms = 6 Usual huff n Puff little end result

O Gravy =7 Looked very good most things that were sent his way he held on to , a bit early to be writing him off .
Mc Court = 6 Worth at least another 15 minutes of playing time

Stumpy Tim

Stockdale - 5 - Utter howler, but faultless apart from that including one great save
Bruno -7 - lovely goal & solid.
Greer -7- did well marking Jones
Dunk -6- Hard game against Jones, but one back-header aside was good
Bennett -8.5- MOTM. Gets better every game
Holla -6 - Didn't notice him, but he's not there to be noticed
JFC -7- Doesn't lose the ball, tidy in possession, & got stuck in
Tex -6.5- Excellent in the first half, ran out of steam in the second
Gardner -8 - Second to Bennett for MOTM.
Kaz -7 - Thought he played well all game
CMS -4- Rubbish as usual. I loved that bit of control when the ball came over his head & pinged off 20 metres away. COG was better

O'grady - 6- An improvement on CMS
Paddy -6- Didn't have enough time again - give him half an hour at least

Stockdale 7, one mistake, costly but just one

Bruno 5 or 7, depending on which position he was actually supposed to be playing.
Greer 8, Very good
Dunk 6, got bossed by Kenwyne Jones
Bennett 7, solid

Gardner 7, looks good
JFC 6, tries hard
Holla 7

Tex 7
Lua lua 7

CMS 1, would have been 0 but he has nice hair.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Stockdale 5 Could easily have been given at least a 7 without the howler
Bruno 6 The fluke goal came to his rescue. Many other times he makes the wrong decision in good positions
Greer 6 Sorted Jones out eventually but had a Charlton moment in the first half when he got absolutely goosed in the box
Dunk 5 Another problem game for him, can be so good
Bennett 8 MOM
Holla 6 Tired too soon
Gardner 7
JFC 7 Thought he was better today
LuaLua 7
Texeira 6 Stop drifting out of games and you'll be good. Also his languid style gets caught out by aggressive defence as we saw from Fabio last night. Looks like a lazy player to me.
CMS 4 Given so many good chances and can't get close. Maybe an injury saves us having to cut our losses?

O'Grady 6 Time to try him starting
McCourt 7 Should have been given so much more time

It was obvious Tex had to come off after 60 mins, can McCourt's legs only stand 10 mins?

We were very good in the first 20 and good in other patches. However the game plan relies on the team really working hard and when we don't, through players having a rest or switching off, it falls apart. I wonder whether this is the reason we keep getting caught out. Both March and Stevens have a good engine so when they are fit they will suit this style.

Cardiff were awful. Winning the Championship to Premiership to route one game to big lump upfront only. There are some decent players in that side and they look disillusioned.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I did initially as I didn't know Stockdale had shouted, but he did so he has to carry the can.

While it was Stockdale's error and fault I still think a better (and possibly more experienced centre-back) would have dealt with it

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
We were behind the goal & didn't hear a call. If there was, Stockdale's dropped a huge bollock. If not it's down to Lewis, whose body language kind of looked that way
You obviously know better than Stockdale himself, who has admitted it was his mistake.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
You obviously know better than Stockdale himself, who has admitted it was his mistake.

Don't be a prat. If you bothered to read, there were two 'ifs' in my post. I didn't say I knew anything, just that we didn't hear a call (but if there was one, he'd dropped a huge bollock)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Although Stockdale has taken the blame on this one and rightly so, there is a part of me that says Dunk could have done a bit more, he clearly got the shout and left it, however I am off the opinion that if its there to be headed you take command and clear it yourself...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I haven't had a chance to check out what everyone else is saying, going by those around me I might be in a minority here, and maybe it's just my frustration talking and I'd rate differently in the morning, but I think a good goalkeeping performance from Marshall masked a team that still has a long way to go.

Stockdale 4 - his relecklessness cost us two points. Sure he made a save in the second half, but it was straight at him, hardly enough to redeem him. I'd expect most keepers to save it
Bruno 6 - great goal bumps his up a bit, but he seems to lose his footing a bit too much, kept trying neat little tricks that were easily predicted.
Greer 6 - Decent
Dunk 5 - almost cost us the point with whatever he was trying to do when Stockdale made his save
Bennett 8 - rightly given man of the match, positive, dangerous play, thwarted by Marshall
Holla 5 - seemed to constantly play with his back to the opponent's half of the pitch
JFC 6 - Decent, but lacks creativity. For someone who supposedly wants to play an attacking role, whose supposed best position is supporting attack, he seems very toothless when we do attack
Gardner 5 - Grew more wasteful as the game went on.
Teixeira 5 - mixed bag. Looked strong early on, showing some of the dazzling form from his first couple of games, then seemed to fade, then had a bit of a resurgence, before fading again.
Lualua 6 - seems unaware of what is around him at all times, has his threat reduced by playing so narrow, but a decent shift and one of his better performances as a starter
CMS 4 - I want to show him patience, I want to get behind him and encourage him, but he is just so frustrating at the moment. He has such a poor first touch, on the rare occasions he manages to control the ball he seems to have no idea, his playing off the shoulder demands too accurate a ball when we play so narrow that whoever is passing has to pass the ball at such a sharp angle it will almost always go through to the keeper. I heard a few people moan because other players didn't pass to him when he was in a good position, but it has been too long since he last showed an ability to do something when he receives the ball that it is really no surprise his teammates are appearing increasingly reluctant to pass to him even when he's in a good position.

O'Grady - Showed a better first touch than CMS, which is a little surprising because the last few times I've seen him O'Grady's touch has been worse.
McCourt - Why is he getting so little game time when he has shown so much quality?

Incredibly harsh IMO. If it weren't for Marshall we would've won 4-1 and your scores would be higher. Best performance of the season that I've seen.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't be a prat. If you bothered to read, there were two 'ifs' in my post. I didn't say I knew anything, just that we didn't hear a call (but if there was one, he'd dropped a huge bollock)

With or without a call it was a MASSIVE misjudgment and a massive howler.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Oh dear, I interpreted your "I didn't hear a call" to mean you didn't think there was one. Silly me.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I haven't had a chance to check out what everyone else is saying, going by those around me I might be in a minority here, and maybe it's just my frustration talking and I'd rate differently in the morning, but I think a good goalkeeping performance from Marshall masked a team that still has a long way to go.

Stockdale 4 - his relecklessness cost us two points. Sure he made a save in the second half, but it was straight at him, hardly enough to redeem him. I'd expect most keepers to save it
Bruno 6 - great goal bumps his up a bit, but he seems to lose his footing a bit too much, kept trying neat little tricks that were easily predicted.
Greer 6 - Decent
Dunk 5 - almost cost us the point with whatever he was trying to do when Stockdale made his save
Bennett 8 - rightly given man of the match, positive, dangerous play, thwarted by Marshall
Holla 5 - seemed to constantly play with his back to the opponent's half of the pitch
JFC 6 - Decent, but lacks creativity. For someone who supposedly wants to play an attacking role, whose supposed best position is supporting attack, he seems very toothless when we do attack
Gardner 5 - Grew more wasteful as the game went on.
Teixeira 5 - mixed bag. Looked strong early on, showing some of the dazzling form from his first couple of games, then seemed to fade, then had a bit of a resurgence, before fading again.
Lualua 6 - seems unaware of what is around him at all times, has his threat reduced by playing so narrow, but a decent shift and one of his better performances as a starter
CMS 4 - I want to show him patience, I want to get behind him and encourage him, but he is just so frustrating at the moment. He has such a poor first touch, on the rare occasions he manages to control the ball he seems to have no idea, his playing off the shoulder demands too accurate a ball when we play so narrow that whoever is passing has to pass the ball at such a sharp angle it will almost always go through to the keeper. I heard a few people moan because other players didn't pass to him when he was in a good position, but it has been too long since he last showed an ability to do something when he receives the ball that it is really no surprise his teammates are appearing increasingly reluctant to pass to him even when he's in a good position.

O'Grady - Showed a better first touch than CMS, which is a little surprising because the last few times I've seen him O'Grady's touch has been worse.
McCourt - Why is he getting so little game time when he has shown so much quality?

CMS - Pace is all but gone, can't finish, has no first touch, can't hold the ball up, has no positional sense, doesn't head the ball, always offside. At the risk of starting another Spanish Dave thread - what does he actually do? We might as well have Mo Farrah upfront - he's got a good engine.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Stockdale - 5
Bruno -7
Greer -7
Dunk -6
Bennett -8
Holla -7
JFC -7
Teixeira -6
Gardner - 7
LuaLua -7
CMS - 5

O'Grady - 6
McCourt -6.5

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Did anyone else think we should have had a penalty before Bruno's goal? Thought one of their defenders handled the ball in the goalmouth.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Stockdale 4
Bruno 6.5
Bennett 8.5
Greer 8
Dunk 6.5
Holla 7
Gardner 7
JFC 6.5
Lua Lua 7.5
Tex 6
CMS 6.5

O'Grady 6
Paddy 7

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Incredibly harsh IMO. If it weren't for Marshall we would've won 4-1 and your scores would be higher. Best performance of the season that I've seen.

Whilst I agree it was our best performance and [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] was being incredibly harsh, I don't think it was Marshal who cost us the game. Most of his saves were straight at him and I would expect most keepers to save them. Only once did I think he made a great save (From Bennett's shot. that he tipped around the post). It just seems that we have not got a goal scorer. If we had Ulloa last night we would of won. Great performance though, first 20 minutes was the best I've seen us since Gus.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here