Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorists may face penalty for overtaking cyclists on some city roads

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cyclist KSIs - mainly the motorists fault.

how can you say that outright, when out the first four columns (making up the majority of total), only one (opening door) attributes blame directly to the motorist?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
...or cyclists who ride down country lanes in groups of 3/4 instead of single file

There is nothing in the highway code preventing cyclists riding 2 abreast. In fact the highway code requires a driver overtaking to give a cyclists a full cars width anyway. In some instances it's also easier for a driver to overtake say 8 cyclists riding 2 abreast as they are effectively only 4 bikes long. If they were strung out at 8 bikes long, the overtaking opportunities would be reduced.

Most cyclists go faster than a group of horses, or similar to a tractor, I suppose drivers need to accept that country lanes are used by all sorts of people. If you're in a rush stick to motorways, dual carriageways and A-roads where you mostly have exclusive use. :thumbsup:

how can you say that outright, when out the first four columns (making up the majority of total), only one (opening door) attributes blame directly to the motorist?

Sorry, you don't think that a car turning across a cyclists path (whether left or right) is attributable to the motorist? Or a cyclist being hit by an overtaking vehicle is the mistake of the motorist? Really? Note that 'cyclist overtaking into path of right turning vehicle' is on the chart, on the far right, so any motor vehicle turning right across cyclist path is presumably hitting a cyclist coming in the opposite direction, or is swinging their back end into the cyclist going the same direction as they turn. How is that not the fault of the motorist?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Well the short answer is because I can read. But if you really want to break it down here's an easy one. Just look at the figures for disobeying junction control (i.e. ignoring red lights and similar) - twice as many down to motorists as cyclists.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Riding in to work the other day and here's what happend on the one journey!
Car stopped at traffic lights, no indicators on, majority of traffic at these lights would go straight on, so only a small chance of turning left. I rode directly behind the vehicle, in case he was looking in rear view mirror, then I went inside the car and got my front wheel in front of the car, so my bike and body is practically all in front of the driver. I pull of driver beeps, cause he was turning left! Try indicating w****r!

Get a bit further on and traffic built up with a car unable to turn left, I go down the outside (remember, we are told most accidents are vehicles turning left), and get to the bottleneck and slow right down, car coming out of said junction only looking left, slams her foot down without looking right or seeing me! Try looking both ways you stupid cow!

A little further on, 2 buses pulled in at bus stop, again I go down the outside (for same reason above). There is a gap of maybe 3 feet between the busses, two women walk between look left but not right! Aren't we all told never cross roads between parked cars let alone buses as children! Bloody idiots.

After that day I can't make up my mind whether I should ride down the inside and risk vehicles hitting me turning left or down the outside with cars coming at me at 30mph+!

There are dodgy cyclists but all drivers should remember their vehicles can kill instead of getting worked up over a few dodgy cyclists!

Rant over! :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After that day I can't make up my mind whether I should ride down the inside and risk vehicles hitting me turning left or down the outside with cars coming at me at 30mph+!
In congested traffic I always take the 'middle' lane option, when I'm properly riding, because I'll be going at a reasonable speed.

My thinking being drivers should be looking for motorcyclists there, not to mention removing the left turn aspect of safety.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
In congested traffic I always take the 'middle' lane option, when I'm properly riding, because I'll be going at a reasonable speed.

My thinking being drivers should be looking for motorcyclists there, not to mention removing the left turn aspect of safety.

This.

I will also quite often sit and wait in traffic when I think it is more risky to over/undertake cars.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There are a couple of books available from HMSO, They are called "The Highway Code" and "Roadcraft" both are very interesting reads which set out and explains the "Laws of the Road" If and it's a BIG IF all road users adhere to them we would not be having this discussion.
All road users will at times take a "calculated risk" but deliberately driving or cycling through a red light comes under the terms of "frigging stupid" This comes down to the motorist not paying attention or rather concentrating on his/her driving, and the cyclist being to lazy to stop and start off again. I belong to the IAM and the representative was correct, most drivers cannot read a road sign, passing a driving test in what ever form does not make one an expert or a latter day Nigel Mansell. Experience makes us a better road user (in some cases) but we all pick up bad habits. The IAM teach you good driving practice and bring you up to Police Driving Standards

I agree.

I see idiot people driving cars and I see some idiot people cycling. I think the linking word here is people.

I always remonstrate with fellow cyclists who disobey the rules of the road. They put themselves in harms way and put others at risk.

Equally, drivers that just don't understand the rules of the road will also get a word (if I can catch them). Unfortunately, you rarely read of the car driver being killed by a hit and run cyclist, which is why car drivers need to take more care.

...they should also remember that the roads were not put there for them.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Can't rely on reading ability

hc_rule_163_give_vulnerable_road_users_at_least_as_much_space_as_you_would_a_car.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here