Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tax deductible as Business Entertainment I hope.

I’m sure [MENTION=32795]Normski1989[/MENTION] has a less obvious category. Business development maybe?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I don't get to be smug... I'm the mug accountant that's still got way too many to do because people don't give it to me until the last minute! [emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I feel your pain mate, my missus is a tax consultant and as such, I seldom see her during January except when I take cups of tea up to her office.
She had 2 of her clients turn up last week with the “I know I’m a bit late, but any chance?”

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I feel your pain mate, my missus is a tax consultant and as such, I seldom see her during January except when I take cups of tea up to her office.
She had 2 of her clients turn up last week with the “I know I’m a bit late, but any chance?”
It's those clients that come in every year and say "Sorry, I would of come in sooner but I've been ill'.

Certain clients seem to be ill from 6th April to 30th January... every year. Poor sods.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Did mine AGES ago because (a) I'm an accountant, (b) I'm boring and (c) I knew I'd get a rebate. If it were not for (c), I would be doing it next weekend.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m pretty sure my accountant did mine months ago, but I now have that slightly panicky feeling that means I’m now going to go and check.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
He is a small accountant and my monthly figures are sent over on a spreadsheet, not a shoebox full of KFC stained receipts.

I did an internship at a Norfolk based accountants called Larking Gowen a few years ago. Working in the Business and Private section, specifically for farms. I fetch a box full of an old farmer's invoices, receipts etc etc and it had this awful stench. I dare think what caused it.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Very smug.
Accountant is a friend of Mrs Chopper so i get some money off.
He is a small accountant and my monthly figures are sent over on a spreadsheet, not a shoebox full of KFC stained receipts.
He does my self assessment and everything else and saves me a lot of money.
Best thing i done was to not go with a big expensive accountant where i would be a very small fish in a big pond.
All I do is pay the tax bill right on the cusp of when it is needed.

Note to tax people. Please stop taking my money not only from previous business but business going forward,I am a small business, not Apple, and I dont know how the next 6 months is going to go, you are like spoiled children who want it all your way and it can cripple the small businessman. Take your tax from money I have earnt, not money I may earn.

THIS :moo:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Indeed, I'm an accountant and had two of those clients over the weekend and two more this morning in the post.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Tried doing it with my brother this weekend. He logs in via Experian. They wanted proof of ID from a passport or driving licence. But....in order to get a tax return you need an NI number and to get an NI number you need a passport. Ridiculous.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Note to tax people. Please stop taking my money not only from previous business but business going forward,I am a small business, not Apple, and I dont know how the next 6 months is going to go, you are like spoiled children who want it all your way and it can cripple the small businessman. Take your tax from money I have earnt, not money I may earn.

Surely by 31st Jan you must have a pretty good idea if you have had a better or worse year than the one before, after all there are only two months to go. If its a worst year then just reduce the payments on account or make sure you do your return before 31 July then you won't pay a penny too much.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove

Your tax is due by 31 January, which is 10 months into the next tax year. So you've earnt the money that they are taxing you in. If anything, you're still four months behind.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well as I understand it for those who’s turnover is £85k plus from April it’s quarterly returns of some sort and the rest of us self employed non limited company from April next year ..unless it gets delayed again

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Genuine question, I used to have to do them due to some BIK type things about 6-7 years ago. They told me I could stop but I've changed job a few times this year due to acquisitions etc, which resulted in a few months on weird tax codes and it has changed a few times since.

Do you think I should use my P60s / P45s etc to fill in a tax return to see if anything is owed to me? Or best off ignoring it in case I owe them ? :)

*edit* just realised that job changes since April won't apply for this period... but question still stands?

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
For those who still have to complete, these are some of the reasons already offered to the HMRC in the past. You might need to be even more imaginative as these ones have been nabbed.

My wife has been seeing aliens and won’t let me enter the house

I spilled coffee on it

My business doesn’t really do anything

My ex wife left my tax return upstairs, but I suffer from vertigo and can’t go upstairs to retrieve it

I’ve too busy touring the country with my one-man play

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Genuine question, I used to have to do them due to some BIK type things about 6-7 years ago. They told me I could stop but I've changed job a few times this year due to acquisitions etc, which resulted in a few months on weird tax codes and it has changed a few times since.

Do you think I should use my P60s / P45s etc to fill in a tax return to see if anything is owed to me? Or best off ignoring it in case I owe them ? :)

*edit* just realised that job changes since April won't apply for this period... but question still stands?

You aren't required to do one, but it's possible that you might be owed some money back. Either way, if there's something not quite right, it's likely that HMRC will pick up anything in the next few months and let you know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here