Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed stamp [Charged, appealed, banned for 3 games]

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
Assuming the 3 match ban is applied, the irony is that had we managed to land a striker in the window, unlike the last few games where we were desperate for a different option up front, I think a new arrival would have had to wait on the bench. For the first time, Hemed would certainly have kept his place on current form.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Partly this.......it's turned into a big deal partly because we were the only game on Sunday, and it was the only major talking point so it's been discussed to death in the media because of the relentless need to fill column inches and airtime about the PL. If there had been other games, with bigger incidents, doubt there would have been anything like the same clamour.

Don't think he's got much hope of a successful appeal, and do think it was deliberate, but it's at the softer end of the scale (compared with what Barton did for example) - if the ref had seen it would likely have been a red ? Problem is the punishment (as we've seen with the assault by Britos) is the same.

And nobody in the press box spotted it at the time even though it happened only a few yards away. It was only when Sky highlighted it that anyone noticed.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This thread has got to be one of the most blinkered I've ever seen on NSC.

I know we're all biased fans - but come on! If that had been an opposition player we'd have been screaming for blood. I love all the intricate analysis of foot direction, where he was looking, Yedlin's reaction etc but three independent refs all thought it worthy of a charge and as Bozza said earlier in the thread 90% of us would have been exactly the same.

I know what I'd think if I was a Newcastle fan reading this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I watched it on sky last night and never at any point thought it was deliberate- even the commentator says it wasn't intentional- then the slo-mo comes out and every pundit starts wetting their pants - he trod on the guy - end of - how any 3 man panel can categorically state it was intentional is beyond me but that's what will happen cos i don't think we haven't ever won one of these disciplinaries

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know what I'd think if I was a Newcastle fan reading this.

Me too. I'd be thinking "thanks for noticing that Sky". Because at full pace Yedlin doesn't react, their fans don't react and the FSW doesn't react either. I'm in the WSU & had an excellent view & didn't even notice. Even [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] who I've disagreed with on this didn't notice till he got back to the pub and his seat's closer than mine.

All of which contrasts utterly with Barton on Kayal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Me too. I'd be thinking "thanks for noticing that Sky". Because at full pace Yedlin doesn't react, their fans don't react and the FSW doesn't react either. I'm in the WSU & had an excellent view & didn't even notice. Even [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] who I've disagreed with on this didn't notice till he got back to the pub and his seat's closer than mine.

All of which contrasts utterly with Barton on Kayal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Barton did to Kayal was nasty and vindictive - he was being outplayed and resorted to the only thing he knows.

I'm not comparing Hemed's stamp to that - but two wrongs don't make a right.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would look at everyone's reaction at the time - Yedlin didn't say anything, the other NU players didn't , the NU fans didn't the referee didn't. The only person who made anything of this was the Sky commentator. The three footballers on Sky channel I saw were not keen either although Curbishley was changing his mind between yes and no. Keep the faith.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Well the 3 referees on the panel have to unanimously agree it was deliberate. Hopefully at least 1 of them will have doubts and Hemed won't get a ban.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Well the 3 referees on the panel have to unanimously agree it was deliberate. Hopefully at least 1 of them will have doubts and Hemed won't get a ban.

It seems that being charged, they already have reached a unanimous decision. I'm not surprised because Brighton never get the benefit of the doubt, in these cases, unlike Barton or Shelvey.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I watched it on sky last night and never at any point thought it was deliberate- even the commentator says it wasn't intentional- then the slo-mo comes out and every pundit starts wetting their pants - he trod on the guy - end of - how any 3 man panel can categorically state it was intentional is beyond me but that's what will happen cos i don't think we haven't ever won one of these disciplinaries

To counter that, as I posted before, had it been truly accidental I think Hemed's natural reaction would have been 'whoops sorry', he'd have looked surprised at the very least having felt a leg under his foot. He reacts as if nothing was under his foot, which to me is pretty strong evidence that he knew what he was doing.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
For me he only has HIMSELF to blame, silly boy and stupid decision.

Plenty of time to avoid the leg on the way down.

Stupid, Just stupid.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It seems that being charged, they already have reached a unanimous decision. I'm not surprised because Brighton never get the benefit of the doubt, in these cases, unlike Barton or Shelvey.

Oh I thought that being charged meant it was being referred to them. He has until this evening to appeal/put his side across doesn't he?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
A 3 game ban is almost inevitable. (98/99%)

I actually think Hemed was trying to be cute, but has been caught out by the Sky microscopic camera / slow motion analysis.....what you may get away with in lower leagues, you wont in the Premier League.

Anyway, we shouldn't worry too much, as he was described as too slow and not up to this level before the West Brom game, now it appears we cannot survive without him lol.

Give Brown (if fit) his chance, and it is time to see what the record signing Izquierdo can do too! Would also help to see Knockaert more confident in using his tricks when attacking, as well as he is tracking back.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So the moral of the story appears to be, if you are going to tread on an opponents leg, whether accidentally or on purpose, make sure you stamp on it really hard and take the opposing player out of the game.

If you are going to get 3 games for treading on the leg, might as well go the whole hog.

The FA really are incompetent morons of the highest order

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So the moral of the story appears to be, if you are going to tread on an opponents leg, whether accidentally or on purpose, make sure you stamp on it really hard and take the opposing player out of the game.

If you are going to get 3 games for treading on the leg, might as well go the whole hog.

The FA really are incompetent morons of the highest order

I know you're being slightly flippant, but if he had done that he may have got a red card during the game itself, which would have been very bad for our chances of hold the 1-0 lead.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I would look at everyone's reaction at the time - Yedlin didn't say anything, the other NU players didn't , the NU fans didn't the referee didn't. The only person who made anything of this was the Sky commentator. The three footballers on Sky channel I saw were not keen either although Curbishley was changing his mind between yes and no. Keep the faith.

On the other hand, it doesn't look accidental when Hemed doesn't immediately turn to apologise / check the player is ok, which is surely the natural if it was an accident. Hands in the air, turn to acknowledge to the player, offer a hand to help him up. Yes sometimes that is done to cover up a deliberate act, but to NOT do it doesn't help his case IMHO.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I don't think that's true. Yes Barton escaped the Kayal incident but both him and Shelvey have had numerous bans from the FA, Shelvey this season for a similar incident.

I do think we're being a bit precious on this thread, the more I look at it, the more I think it's deliberate and he's only got himself to blame.

Our recruitment department have a lot to answer for again also, something like this was ALWAYS going to happen with our lack of strike force.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here