Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Countdown to 10 more wins / 90 points (from 1st Feb).......

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I have no doubt that the team have the mental strength. No doubt at all. My concerns are that you don't always win games you deserve to win, you can get bad decisions against you, or injuries.

But we're winning games we deserve to lose: see Fulham twice, Birmingham. If that continues, we'll make it. And even if we don't, we still have the capability to step up and improve. In past seasons, the squad has been primed to attain peak fitness in the second half of the season. I'm hoping that will pay off. I'm also happy with the size, quality, injury and booking situation, and character of the squad.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Isn't this a bit billy-big-bollocks? One game at a time, focus on ourselves and how we do as a team. Anyone can beat anyone in this league.

This. We are in a very good position but the resumption by many that we're already as good as up is wrong. Things can change very quickly especially as we're not playing well.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
But we're winning games we deserve to lose: see Fulham twice, Birmingham. If that continues, we'll make it. And even if we don't, we still have the capability to step up and improve. In past seasons, the squad has been primed to attain peak fitness in the second half of the season. I'm hoping that will pay off. I'm also happy with the size, quality, injury and booking situation, and character of the squad.

Oh noooo all of that can change, you also allude that we have won games through luck..... I am not liking the undertones in your synopsis

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i dont, but a lot will be decided in the games between the promotion challengers as 6 pointers. The games against Huddersfield, Reading and Leeds etc, draws will be good results imho. At this stage gap to 3rd is all that matters

That is my view and take each game as it happens with no silly slip up like last year at Rotherham.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
But we're winning games we deserve to lose: see Fulham twice, Birmingham. If that continues, we'll make it..

I'd take issue with that assessment, on two of those three games.

Fulham away, fair enough.

Fulham at home, they 'won' the first half, second was all us, and only one team trying to win it.

Birmingham away, we played poorly for at least an hour, but were so massively on top by the end, that we did actually deserve what we got from that game.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There are no gimme results in this division. It is a relentless slog to get in the top two spots as we found out last year. Reading and Leeds are indeed in good form but all their hard work has done is get them to within 5 and 6 points of where we are, playing two additional games with six fewer points available to them.

This will be a grim fight, I am not expecting much pretty football between now and the end of the season, but we are in a position to press home our advantage. It's looking like there is a lot of nervousness about tonight's game but can you imagine how disheartening an Albion victory would be to the renewed hope of Reading and Leeds fans, not to mention Newcastle.

Traditionally an unhappy hunting ground for us (draws or defeats in recent years) the Huddersfield game now presents a tremendous opportunity to put our foot on the throat of our promotion rivals. I am expecting a very tough game against a quality opponent boosted by a big crowd, but rather than being nervous I am now looking forward to it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But we're winning games we deserve to lose: see Fulham twice, Birmingham.
There's no way we deserved to lose those games. The lateness of the winner against Birmingham made it look like we'd stolen it, but we certainly didn't deserve to lose. And while Fulham played well against us, they crumbled a bit when the pressure was on, it wasn't a complete fluke. Draws woudn't have been unfair, but we didn't deserve to lose.

If that continues, we'll make it.
And that's the second point - winning games that could have gone the other way in the past (inc Shef Wed) is no indication of the future. It goes without saying the we'll be top two if we keep going as we have. If our next 19 games match the previous 19 games we'll finish on 106 points.

In past seasons, the squad has been primed to attain peak fitness in the second half of the season. I'm hoping that will pay off. I'm also happy with the size, quality, injury and booking situation, and character of the squad.
Sounds good, although I don't know what the injury situation is. We've been missing Bruno, Rosenior and Baldock - how are they doing?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are no gimme results in this division. It is a relentless slog to get in the top two spots as we found out last year. Reading and Leeds are indeed in good form but all their hard work has done is get them to within 5 and 6 points of where we are, playing two additional games with six fewer points available to them.

This will be a grim fight, I am not expecting much pretty football between now and the end of the season, but we are in a position to press home our advantage. It's looking like there is a lot of nervousness about tonight's game but can you imagine how disheartening an Albion victory would be to the renewed hope of Reading and Leeds fans, not to mention Newcastle.

Traditionally an unhappy hunting ground for us (draws or defeats in recent years) the Huddersfield game now presents a tremendous opportunity to put our foot on the throat of our promotion rivals. I am expecting a very tough game against a quality opponent boosted by a big crowd, but rather than being nervous I am now looking forward to it.

I repeat what I said on the Championship midweek thread. Win, lose or draw tonight, we will still be top of the league.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This. We are in a very good position but the resumption by many that we're already as good as up is wrong. Things can change very quickly especially as we're not playing well.
I agree with everything except the not playing well part. I think we're playing just fine.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Optimist - Beat Huddersfield, match Newcastle's results and then beat them = 7 points clear at the top.
Pessimist - Lose tonight, drop more points, lose to Newcastle = go into complete breakdown mode.

Probably looking at something in between

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There's no way we deserved to lose those games. The lateness of the winner against Birmingham made it look like we'd stolen it, but we certainly didn't deserve to lose. And while Fulham played well against us, they crumbled a bit when the pressure was on, it wasn't a complete fluke. Draws woudn't have been unfair, but we didn't deserve to lose.

And that's the second point - winning games that could have gone the other way in the past (inc Shef Wed) is no indication of the future. It goes without saying the we'll be top two if we keep going as we have. If our next 19 games match the previous 19 games we'll finish on 106 points.

Sounds good, although I don't know what the injury situation is. We've been missing Bruno, Rosenior and Baldock - how are they doing?

I will have to disagree with you and [MENTION=29900]Exile[/MENTION] about Fulham x2 and Birmingham, all of which I was at. Birmingham we only had a few chances and, I think, two shots on target. At home, Fulham did batter us in the first half, we were better in the second, but not overwhelmingly so. Away at Fulham, we turned it on for five minutes, which proved to be enough. Stockdale made at least one blinding save in all of those games.

Don't think we're sparring on the second point.

Bruno due to play tonight according to CH. Baldock is being 'managed' back. I suspect he won't even make the bench tonight, but might be involved on Sunday -- if not, it seems highly likely he'll be available for Burton. Rosenior had a set-back, but it's not as bad as initially reported. I suspect he ought to be available later in the month. Again: all this injury situation is encouraging at this stage. Our rivals have bigger problems than us. And we've got an extremely solid squad with cover in all positions, and variety too. Again: it's only Dunk that really concerns me re bookings, and I suspect he'll get a further five this season, and pick up a three match ban in the process; Knockaert is a slight concern, if he gets stroppy -- but he's got 11 games in which to avoid getting 3+ yellows.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I will have to disagree with you and [MENTION=29900]Exile[/MENTION] about Fulham x2 and Birmingham, all of which I was at. Birmingham we only had a few chances and, I think, two shots on target.
Not according to the match report.

At home, Fulham did batter us in the first half, we were better in the second, but not overwhelmingly so. Away at Fulham, we turned it on for five minutes, which proved to be enough. Stockdale made at least one blinding save in all of those games.
That's his job.

Bruno due to play tonight according to CH. Baldock is being 'managed' back. I suspect he won't even make the bench tonight, but might be involved on Sunday -- if not, it seems highly likely he'll be available for Burton. Rosenior had a set-back, but it's not as bad as initially reported. I suspect he ought to be available later in the month. Again: all this injury situation is encouraging at this stage.
Our club are being a bit more cagey about injuries this season, so it's difficult to know the truth. People said Bruno would play against Cardiff, as they'd seen him and he said he was. He lied. It seems that it's become club policy to keep the opponents guessing. If we told them Bruno was out and we had a make-shift right back, the opponents might plan to exploit that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My mate is a Leeds supporter (from Leeds so excused). We done some quick sums and our game at Leeds could be for top spot.
I said it here first.

I can see Leeds pipping Newcastle for the top two.

Leeds are on a great run. Believe we will do it but like my scorecast bet on Zaha first scorer Palace 0-2 bet have placed £20 on Leeds outright. 33-1 is a nice price.
Come on Brighton I want to lose that bet!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I will have to disagree with you and [MENTION=29900]Exile[/MENTION] about Fulham x2 and Birmingham, all of which I was at. Birmingham we only had a few chances and, I think, two shots on target. At home, Fulham did batter us in the first half, we were better in the second, but not overwhelmingly so. Away at Fulham, we turned it on for five minutes, which proved to be enough. Stockdale made at least one blinding save in all of those games.

Birmingham stats. I know the BBC stats aren't 100% accurate, but we had 14 shots with 4 on target.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38271714

Fulham 8 shots with 4 on target.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38433191

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here