Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
And here's a quick question:
What do you get if you allow Amazon to operate from your country while evading paying hundreds of millions of Euros in taxes?

Answer: You get to become president of the European Commission.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41484025

Nice work if you can get it and yet another reason why I want out of this den of thieves and chancers.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And here's a quick question:
What do you get if you allow Amazon to operate from your country while evading paying hundreds of millions of Euros in taxes?

Answer: You get to become president of the European Commission.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41484025

Nice work if you can get it and yet another reason why I want out of this den of thieves and chancers.

...and a second question... what organisation is about to sting the culprits with huge fines?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
...and a second question... what organisation is about to sting the culprits with huge fines?

Do you mean the same organisation that's still trying to get over £10 billion from Apple? I would think that the best thing to do is just not let it happen at all?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Do you mean the same organisation that's still trying to get over £10 billion from Apple? I would think that the best thing to do is just not let it happen at all?

Yes, would be easier if we all had a unified corporation tax structure, a good argument for closer union.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Thanks for calling me a "nut", why don't you explain why you would be bothered (and I'm not suggesting there is no reason to be, just that whatever the challenges, they are not insurmountable).

WTO rules are related to trade (clue is in the name), and there are good reasons to be confident that under WTO rules (which I still think we should do everything we can to avoid short of making concessions on our independence (a preferential deal would be best for us and the EU)), we would still enjoy a healthy trade relationship with the EU.

I am not bothered by the WTO, but we currently have a far far superior arrangement with the EU, so it is a backwards step. The point you are missing, or sidestepping, is that an unelected body will be dictating the minimum terms on which we can do business, it means the UK cannot set a tariff above what the WTO says, this is a terrible thing for many leavers, as it is a give away of some of our sovereign powers, and in this case to an organisation that none of us can elect the members of, unlike the EU.

A deal would not just be best for both us and the EU, it is of high importance for the EU and vital to us. To walk away is to bring project fear into reality. No one as Prime Minister will do this, not even Johnson, because they all know that it would be catastrophic to this country, there is no bluffing to be done, we are all in, the EU has 27 other chips left to play with, only a couple as valuable as ours, but it will still be in the game and we will be trying to buy a seat at other tables, mostly where the EU already has a decent hand in play.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

As it is following due process in law. By the way, it is not after the money for itself, it is trying to get Apple to pay to it the Irish treasury

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am not bothered by the WTO, but we currently have a far far superior arrangement with the EU, so it is a backwards step. The point you are missing, or sidestepping, is that an unelected body will be dictating the minimum terms on which we can do business,

you referring to WTO or EU? we dont elect members to the government of EU, only the parliament, that has no say on such matters as tariffs. yes, we have a superior agreement with EU currently, at the expense of an inferior agreement with the rest of the world. rest of world is larger than EU, rest of world is growing more than EU. do you see why some think that maybe we're better to be out, i mean at least recognise where the argument is coming from?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
As it is following due process in law. By the way, it is not after the money for itself, it is trying to get Apple to pay to it the Irish treasury

As I'm sure that they are trying to get Amazon to pay back to Luxembourg. But the fact remains that these deals were done to bribe global corporations into setting up business in their countries to the exclusion of others. How much benefit will any of the other member states get from this? I just hope that none of our contributions are going to either, and that the money recovered is spread evenly between all the members - I won't be holding my breath though.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Yes, would be easier if we all had a unified corporation tax structure, a good argument for closer union.

I wonder if anyone - even the most ardent EU lover - will ever believe this will happen. There are too many vested interests to allow it. In this nest of crooks everyone has their noses in the trough but also is looking out for themselves (difficult, I know, but it happens).

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I am not bothered by the WTO, but we currently have a far far superior arrangement with the EU, so it is a backwards step. The point you are missing, or sidestepping, is that an unelected body will be dictating the minimum terms on which we can do business, it means the UK cannot set a tariff above what the WTO says, this is a terrible thing for many leavers, as it is a give away of some of our sovereign powers, and in this case to an organisation that none of us can elect the members of, unlike the EU.

A deal would not just be best for both us and the EU, it is of high importance for the EU and vital to us. To walk away is to bring project fear into reality. No one as Prime Minister will do this, not even Johnson, because they all know that it would be catastrophic to this country, there is no bluffing to be done, we are all in, the EU has 27 other chips left to play with, only a couple as valuable as ours, but it will still be in the game and we will be trying to buy a seat at other tables, mostly where the EU already has a decent hand in play.

Catastrophic for their careers not for this country, but yes a backwards step and not at all ideal.

I would have no tariffs if it was up to me, why set up barriers to trade? But what you say about us not being able to set our own tariffs isn't true, we could set our own tariffs and requirements for the import of goods. The EU does it's trade arrangements through the WTO as a bloc, by convention, but we are members of the WTO in our own right. The WTO is really just a forum for bilateral negotiations, which is basically how our trade arrangements will be conducted after we leave the EU.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Read that this morning and thought what an absolute non story.

I really don't care which way any of my friends or family voted let alone those that follow the same football club as me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here