Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stronger squad than Poyet's?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
25 Man squad...

GK: Kuszczak, Stockdale, Walton.
FB: Bridge, Bruno, Rosenior, Bong
CB: Dunk, Duffy, Greer, Upson, Goldson
CM: Bridcutt, Kayal, Stephens, Crofts (First half of 2013-14).
RW & LW: Knockaert, Buckley, Skalak, Vicente.
FW: Ulloa, Murray, Baldock, Barnes, Hemed.

This squad would walk the league IMHO

Agree with most of that although can't remember every player as such. Skalak & Crofts the only dubious ones IMO....

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Agree with most of that although can't remember every player as such. Skalak & Crofts the only dubious ones IMO....

Crofts was, as they say, on fire in 2013-14 until he unfortunately got injured, then injured again the following season, and never really got back into the team last season.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
For me I think Poyets team was better but squad no
All time amex 11

kuszczak
bruno dunk greer bridge
buckley stephens kayal knockhart
murry ulloa

7 of the 11 played for poyet so he edges it. but its a team game and that includes the squad and CH blows Poyets away

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
As much as I love Hughton, this team, managed by Poyet, would be something really special. The only thing this current team is missing from that era is a Bridcutt-class player.

Bridcutt was outstanding in a very defined role in Poyet's system - but do you seriously think he is of the same class as Kayal or Stephens? Or for that matter Sidwell who went on to have a far more successful career at Prem level that LB did.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You don't think this team is better than the one of Poyet's era? That's an interesting one - who would you have out of Poyet's squad of 13/14 in the first team? Obviously Bridge & Vicente but who else? Ulloa possibly? Even Bridcutt, who was out most important player wouldn't get in ahead of Kayal & Stephens for me..!

Sheebo. #writeagain

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Are the fans stronger.
Is the league stronger or weaker
Is are luck Stronger or worse.
Do we get better referee decision or more bad decisions.t
All these factors affect our season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As much as I love Hughton, this team, managed by Poyet, would be something really special. The only thing this current team is missing from that era is a Bridcutt-class player.

But it wouldn't be this team as Poyet played a very different system. We wouldn't be playing 442 so the players we have wouldn't work so well.

Hughton is clearly the better manager for me (and I was a big fan of Poyet). He has a plan B and has made us less rigid as we're now happy to play the ball long if needed rather than just build from the back.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
How can you miss out Barnes (still the leading scoring in the Amex era)...?

And you've got three left-backs and one right-back. To balance that out, I'd have Calderon for Ward.

Good case for Rosenior instead of Ward to give the squad more flexibility.
Barnes - since when was there ever a rational way of talking about AB on NSC :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I've counted 25 there mate :lolol:

I'd make a few changes from that, but not many. It would have to be based on a mix of past performance and potential too. But, for me:

GK: Stockdale, Kuszcack,
FB: Bridge, Bruno, Bong, Rosenior (based partly on having equal cover on right and left, Jem had three left backs whereas Leroy CAN play on either and is a leader almost at the level of an assistant manager)
CB:: Duffy, Dunk, Greer, Upson - no argument at all there
MF:Kayal, Stephens, Bridcutt, Spanish Dave - (the latter can be considered a MF rather than a winger, despite being played wide IMO)
Wingers: Knockeart, Skalak, Murphy, Buckley (Vicente isn't a winger and didn't play enough. Buckley was a criminal omission from Jem's squad IMO, Murphy is far more an all round player than March)
FW: Ulloa, Murray, Baldock, Barnes, (You CANNOT leave out Barnes. Barnes not as good as Vokes? :nono: )

So I make that the same split of positions but 14 current players (tho Bruno and Dunk played for both)

Rosenior is a good shout. I can leave out Barnes and I did!, Buckley in his pomp (but how often was that ?) also threatening to be in there. Vicente did play on the wing a bit i think when his legs worked. Risky only taking 2 keepers to a tournament :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Rosenior is a good shout. I can leave out Barnes and I did!, Buckley in his pomp (but how often was that ?) also threatening to be in there. Vicente did play on the wing a bit i think when his legs worked. Risky only taking 2 keepers to a tournament :)

True, but I couldn't bring myself to choose a best second choice keeper - also I initially had 24 players and the third keeper was easier to cut :lolol:

Buckley in his pomp would get in to our starting 11 today at the expense of Skalak / Miurphy / March. You're right though, often injured and occasionally sulky. He'll always have my heart for that goal against Donny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here