Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley...I mean Burnley for christ sake!

Apr 22, 2016
Why would nobody in their right mind want to live in Burnley ?

'I mean a glum northern town with no prospects..'- It's actually one of the fastest growing local economies in the UK backed by a large and recent investment in infrastructure work.

It's also rich in working class history and full of excellent post industrial revolution architecture. Splendid place to visit.

There are large parks and a very competitive sports scene. Music- Never heard of the Burnley Rhythm and Blues Festival ?

The one thing that bugs me on forums like this is disparaging remarks people make about places they are unlikely to have visited- or if they did were clearly unable to appreciate due to drunkeness, ignorance, stupidity or all three.

Threads like this are embarrassing.

Having defended your town, [MENTION=34175]Imploding Turtle[/MENTION] [MENTION=33670]ClaretMatt[/MENTION] [MENTION=28806]8th battalion East Lancs[/MENTION] -do tell me what that Singing Ringing Tree is all about. I just don't get it.

I haven't defended my town. I'm prtty sure i've accepted the description s of it.

However, since you've asked about the Singing Ringing Tree, i've no ****ing clue about that either.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Congratulations to Burnley. I'd love for the Albion to join you automatically, or via the play-offs.

Apr 22, 2016
Congratulations to Burnley. I'd love for the Albion to join you automatically, or via the play-offs.

I love underdogs. Partly because it's cool, but mostly because it's funny to take the piss out of losing favourites.

Despite the apparent efferts of some of your most terrible fans I still want Brighton to beat Boro this weekend. Sure, some, perhaps even most, of your fans are among the worst kind of human beings in existance, but Boro fans are still, somehow, worse.

Clampet

Apr 27, 2016
You know, i'd love to be in the Premier league, but at any cost?

Would anyone really swap the Amex, one of the best training facilities in the land, flowing passing football and living in and around Brighton to live in Burnley watching dogshit football in an old dilapidated ground, just for the privilege of watching a hoof ball team get being hammered by the countries finest?

Nah, think I'd actually prefer league 1 as a Brighton fan than anything related to Burnley.

Did you know Burnley were the first club in the world to have their own training ground and the first team to do worked free kicks. One of the founder members of the football league. Twice Champions of England, played in the European Cup and FA Cup winners. A small town club that has survived despite being close to Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds.

The idea is to get promotion from the Championship any way you can. Dyche knows how to. It's a hard, unforgiving division so being hard to beat and grabbing boring1.0 wins does the job. Do Burnley fans, some who do moan about the style of play, care now. Like hell they do as the aim was promotion. Do you honestly think the records will show that you played beautiful football if you get promoted?

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Got to disagree with the OP. Burnley are a true team who have budgeted sensibly and represent all that is good in football. They have an excellent manager and a good team spirit. Of course I would prefer to see the seagulls go up, but I'm far happier that we go up with Burnley than high spending ego-obsessed Middlesborough.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Got to disagree with the OP. Burnley are a true team who have budgeted sensibly and represent all that is good in football. They have an excellent manager and a good team spirit. Of course I would prefer to see the seagulls go up, but I'm far happier that we go up with Burnley than high spending ego-obsessed Middlesborough.

How so?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Hahaha!

Yet another thread with no purpose other than to pour scorn upon Burnley - Jesus, imagine thinking this is what your season would be reduced to but a matter of weeks ago.

I have never lived in Burnley, my parents live around 10 miles away, myself more than 120 - I was born there and followed my local team as my father, grandfather and great grandfather have done. I am proud of where I come from, a working class town where anything you make of yourself you have earned.

The continuous bile of this forum towards my hometown PURELY because we have bettered you, as we have for our entire history since 1882, is embarrassing. The hypocrisy surrounding slurs against Burnley, considering the shite Brighton has had thrown at it for years should also not be lost on any of you that actually possess common sense and/or reason.

Hopefully another Northern team (managed by an absolute ****, granted) will soon put you out of your misery, and we can all sit back and enjoy your combustion in the Play Off's.
What a nasty poster.

Adds nothing IMHO.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Not sure why there is so much animosity towards Burnley. They have got more points than us and fully deserve their promotion. You may not like the way they play, their manager or the thug that is their talisman on the pitch but it worked. We might still join them, we may even win the league (unlikely but possible). We may still be in the Championship next season, so let's show a bit of class and stop the sour grapes though?

If we'd defended better at the Amex we could have stopped them in their tracks....
All of this - plus give Burnley some credit for not splashing ridiculous sums of cash around (unlike some) and for having a squad that's predominantly from the British Isles. Fair play to them - still wouldn't want to pay to watch them regularly, but then again I don't have to.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Why Burnley? The more I think about it the more depressed I feel.

I mean a glum northern town with no prospects and not a lot of fans, David bloody Fishwick, dilapidated ground and a place no one in their right mind would want to go to.

Football gods, you have a strange way of dealing the cards!

That is all

You're posting this shite? Really? Rubbish like this makes us look like a bunch of twats.

Why Burnley? Well, just for starters:

- 22 game unbeaten record
- Incredible mentality (epitomised by Joey Barton)
- Andre Gray
- They stuck by a great young(ish) manager despite getting relegated
- They resisted the temptation to buy loads of players without hunger
- They invested the Ings money wisely

We should be considering what we can learn from Burnley rather than posting petty, north/south divide drivel like this.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hahaha!

Yet another thread with no purpose other than to pour scorn upon Burnley - Jesus, imagine thinking this is what your season would be reduced to but a matter of weeks ago.

I have never lived in Burnley, my parents live around 10 miles away, myself more than 120 - I was born there and followed my local team as my father, grandfather and great grandfather have done. I am proud of where I come from, a working class town where anything you make of yourself you have earned.

The continuous bile of this forum towards my hometown PURELY because we have bettered you, as we have for our entire history since 1882, is embarrassing. The hypocrisy surrounding slurs against Burnley, considering the shite Brighton has had thrown at it for years should also not be lost on any of you that actually possess common sense and/or reason.

Hopefully another Northern team (managed by an absolute ****, granted) will soon put you out of your misery, and we can all sit back and enjoy your combustion in the Play Off's.

Get a life. Why do you care what one person writes about Burnley on a football forum. I can't believe how many Burnley fans are sad enough to spend time on here.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool

They went up two years ago having spent virtually nothing. They budgeted sensibly and might easily have stayed up last year. They lost some key players, but have only invested according to their means this year. They have an excellent manager and good team spirit and a loyal fan base. They come from a part of the country where they are surrounded by bigger clubs, but have maintained their spirit and identity. Try visiting the area and you will find out how friendly the people are.

The only thing some people on here seem to know is that they are "up north". The only thing they have done wrong is to beat us to promotion -partly through a spirited last minute fight back and a late goal at the Amex. Congratulations to them and good luck to us at Middlesborough.

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
You're posting this shite? Really? Rubbish like this makes us look like a bunch of twats.

Why Burnley? Well, just for starters:

- 22 game unbeaten record
- Incredible mentality (epitomised by Joey Barton)
- Andre Gray
- They stuck by a great young(ish) manager despite getting relegated
- They resisted the temptation to buy loads of players without hunger
- They invested the Ings money wisely

We should be considering what we can learn from Burnley rather than posting petty, north/south divide drivel like this.

I agree with this burnley have secured promotion and well done to them I know their play isn't pretty at times but do they care now no way! all this slanging isn't great only thing I will say is sean dyche has no class as manager and human being unlike chris hughton lets hope we can join burnley on Saturday afternoon I have some kind of good feeling!

D

Deleted member 22389

They did it, the lucky b.....
What a dream ending it would be if we could do the same. Going out to Palace a few years ago hurt, may be it wasn't meant to be our time, things happen for a reason.

I'm positive, we not only have good players but we also have a fantastic team spirit, it's going to take both to win this game on Saturday.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Dear oh dear.
Why can't threads like this just be throttled at birth. It is embarrassing to read ignorant, immature and disparaging comments about a rival team that has deservedly won promotion. If they avoid defeat at Charlton, Burnley will have gone the whole second half of the season unbeaten and that, in a very competitive league, is a magnificent achievement. I would suggest that it is superior to our start to the season, when teams are still finding their way and squads are still not fully formed. From January onwards, it gets tougher and Burnley have knuckled down, toughed it out and seen it through. They have shown the character to come back late against their two biggest rivals and those draws have been decisive. Dyche knows his way around and he knows the formula to get out of this division. If you can't blow people away with a flood of goals ( e.g Bournemouth ) you need to keep it tight, steel up the midfield and have one prolific goalscorer upfront. It ain't rocket science but some managers and coaches overcomplicate and fall between the two. Burnley have pedigree and history, something that we are striving for, having spent 70% of our existence in the bottom two divisions.
A lot of the posters on here are fairly young and think it is clever to sneer, gloat and deride other clubs but they lack the experience, knowledge and maturity to back it up. They don't even bother to study their own club's history. They think that all football used to be clod-heavy boots, sodden leather balls and keepers wearing woolly jumpers. They talk as if it was Neanderthal and something out of the Ark. They think that the current crop of coaches and managers are incredible forward thinkers and that there has never been any tactics before. They think that current players are far more skilful than years ago. They haven't stopped to think about people like Chapman, Sebes, Guttmann, Greenwood and Michels who thought so far outside the box that the word revolutionary doesn't do them justice. They don't even know about the wonderful teams of the past like Austria pre-war, Hungary post war, Brazil ( 1970 ) the glorious Dutch of the 70's and the stifling Italian cattenaccio, designed to stop the artistic. They think Joey Barton is a thug but they didn't watch Liverpool win everything in sight with Souness, Case, Smith and Lee, who were so terrifying, you'd feel nervous just standing on the terraces. Or Revie's Leeds, to a man, far tougher and ruthless than Barton and arguably, for a few short years, the best team in Europe. Barton is a pussycat compared to those guys but it was a proper game then. Harder, no quarter given. Tackling was better, close control was better, heading was better and passing ( on worse pitches ) was better. The only thing different was the fitness and the science now involved. The honesty and respect amongst the players was better and the sight of Brighton and Derby players rolling about and trying to get each other sent off was sickening and demonstrates the levels to which our game has been allowed to sink.
Burnley, Boro and Brighton have been slugging it out for months now and respect should be given to all three. They all deserve it and it would be fitting if all three got promoted but life isn't like that and Hull, Derby and Wednesday are waiting to pounce. Well done to Burnley and good luck to the other two.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think too many people have taken the original post far too seriously.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Can we all just agree to not post any more here so this thread dies?

Burnley are in the premier league and bloody deserve it. It doesn't matter what the town is like FFS.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
What an embarassing thread.

To the Burnley fans reading, please don't tar us all with the **** brush. Congrats and good luck next season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here