Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Direct, the "scar on British business”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure most people will start to moan when they put their prices up to ensure better working conditions.

Personally, I won't.

They are not made to work like this. They would be presented with a job offer and working conditions and they accepted them. I am not condoning the working conditions, just pointing out that they are not forced to do it.

No. They were presented with a job offer that promised that they would be paid the national minimum wage for the time that is at their employer's disposal. And then they are obliged to make their own time available for their employer to search them before they are allowed to go home.

That's illegal.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No. They were presented with a job offer that promised that they would be paid the national minimum wage for the time that is at their employer's disposal. And then they are obliged to make their own time available for their employer to search them before they are allowed to go home.

That's illegal.

A shop where I worked once had the rule that everyone had to be ready to work at 08.25 and on the shop floor 5 minutes before opening, additionally if a customer was taking their time making a purchase, all staff had to wait til the transaction was complete, sometimes 15-20 minutes after the 5.30 closing time. Needless to say, staff were never paid for that extra time.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
A shop where I worked once had the rule that everyone had to be ready to work at 08.25 and on the shop floor 5 minutes before opening, additionally if a customer was taking their time making a purchase, all staff had to wait til the transaction was complete, sometimes 15-20 minutes after the 5.30 closing time. Needless to say, staff were never paid for that extra time.

My wife is a nurse and similar will happen. If beds haven't been made they will be told to at the end of the shift despite the fact another is coming on and they have been swamped, the handovers will get longer and longer, they are forced to work through lunch making it a 12.5 hour shift with no break. They don't get paid for that time, get told they 'owe' hours.

To add insult to injury she has then had to fight to get her incremental rise because she completed training late due to her hospital cancelling it time after time

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

That's illegal.

If that is the case, I am sure it will be stopped. The unions must be all over Sports Direct like a rash after all of the newspaper stories and TV documentaries. However, the original point I was making was that they are not forced to work, it is still their choice. No one should be made to work in illegal conditions and if they are, they are free to leave.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

That's illegal.

Are you saying the searches are illegal or out of hours or both? I know someone who pulls that crap with staff at a tescos and would dearly love to get him done.:)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My wife is a nurse and similar will happen. If beds haven't been made they will be told to at the end of the shift despite the fact another is coming on and they have been swamped, the handovers will get longer and longer, they are forced to work through lunch making it a 12.5 hour shift with no break. They don't get paid for that time, get told they 'owe' hours.

To add insult to injury she has then had to fight to get her incremental rise because she completed training late due to her hospital cancelling it time after time

It's only the unsung dedication of most of the staff, including your Mrs,that the NHS runs at all. :angel:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well whilst your link and thread are shocking revelations as always you then ruin it with your fake brand of shock and social compass. THEY ARE NOT MADE TO WORK, ITS NOT COMPULSORY.

You are joking. It may be the only job in town. You think people choose this sort of life? We now have an economy that is so skewed toward this sort of high profit low wage work, that some people do NOT have a choice as the options are limited elsewhere.

If that is the case, I am sure it will be stopped. The unions must be all over Sports Direct like a rash after all of the newspaper stories and TV documentaries. However, the original point I was making was that they are not forced to work, it is still their choice. No one should be made to work in illegal conditions and if they are, they are free to leave.

In Mansfield?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Zero hour contracts should be illegal. They've been abused so much by unscrupulous employers that I don't think I'd trust ANY employer using them and as for all the other humiliating and bullying actions by Sports Direct and their outsourcers, this is the reason why there should be union representation in the workplace.

Don't think they should be illegal. Lots of people working in restaurants/pubs (for example) like the flexibility. I have friends who love it (which clearly the people who thumbed up your posts don't). But clearly something does need to be done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here