Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Derby - Away Support

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The allure of away travel watching the Albion does seem to have diminished this season sadly.

To be fair we dont make any real cash unless we are on the box. If Barbs had his way every game would be at the Amex!

Anyway see you there im with [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
.......if not it'll be fingers crossed for a stream.

Certainly looks like there will be one for those unable to make it :thumbsup:

Capture.JPG

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Linked to the changes in the AMS when it went from lifetime to annual, I'll wager ....

Folk like me may only go to a handful of aways [yes, bad fan, I know], but now it's also constrained to POTG away days.
If Derby is POTG, I'll be there, if not it'll be fingers crossed for a stream.

It usually is, I think only once visitors have sold out this season, but you'll get the full allocation come what may so you should be able to buy from the south east corner......

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hemed will not be bullied or overrawed. Neiher will Beram or Greer. We will stand firm against the Rams.

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
Staying Friday night so what is there to do in Derby ?

I know nothing about what the younger age groups get up to in Derby these days, but if you like a pub crawl, good ale and a 1st class curry at the end of the evening, you can have a very good night in Derby. The pubs I'd advise you not to miss include The Exeter, The Brewery Tap, The Silk Mill, The Dolphin, The Furnace and The Flower Pots (who usually have live music on) which are all located within a quarter mile radius of the Cathedral. Further afield there's also The Peacock, The Bell & Castle, The Old Spa, The Last Post & Chester Green Ale House micropubs, Mr Grundy's microbrewery, The Greyhound, The Golden Eagle, the Falstaff and of course The Brunswick and Alexander near the station.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Alarming amount of knowledge on how to restrain rams/sheep :flounce: :hilton:

Lots of holidays spent in Wales perhaps ..

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
With reference to Roger Harris's and Tim Carder's book Seagulls: The Story of Brighton and Hove Albion, just reminding myself of the League Cup tie against Derby in 76/77.

There was so much interest in the original home game that the Albion sold tickets on the turnstiles of a reserve game v Charlton, the crowd for which was 17,554. The game was a 33,500 sellout and I remember Derby fans arriving just before ko on the chicken run (this was pre-segregation) to find it absolutely rammed (sic) and wandering the aisles trying to glimpse a view. The huge roar told them Peter Ward had scored after 37 seconds, following a 1 on 1 save by Grummitt from Charlie George.

The away support for the Monday night replay (just 2 days after beating Swindon 4-0 at the Goldstone) is not recorded but "3 charter trains, a plane and numerous coaches" are cited. As the trains alone held 700 each, I suspect there was a minimum 3,000 Albion in the 25,880 at the Baseball ground. A good number had travelled to Reading on the Wednesday previous to see us win 3-2 and to Northampton the Saturday before that to see a 2-0 win. Busy and expensive times for fans of a rampaging Mullery team that went on to finish 2nd in Div 3 (2 points above another promoted club, Cr****l P****e). Peter Ward won Div 3 Player of the Season for his 36 goals, 32 in the League.

PG

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm not convinced. Apart from local games and cup/play offs I can't remember us taking more than 2000 anywhere, which when you think we're getting 20000+ at home is disappointing. Especially now we're top of the league.

Our away support when we were at Withdean was class, relatively big numbers given the amount of supporters back then, lots of songs and lots of noise even if we're losing.

Now it's just a quiet block made up of drunks, supporters club, northerners, kids and a few people who like driving the M1 more than most. That's not a criticism of those groups, but it's a crying shame when you compare to most teams knocking around the top of the Championship.

What an odd post. So, you're moaning about not enough supporters going to away games and then you're slagging off the ones that do by putting them in to those weird groups.

We were always going to reduce the away following compared to home one when we moved. Withdean had 7,000 supporters, most of whom were very committed and more likely to follow us away too. At the Amex, we've got a lot more fans, many of whom didn't go to Withdean for various reasons so (overall although not always) are less likely to go to away games. It's so obvious I wouldn't have thought it would need pointing out.

And, considering how far we have to travel (the furthest in the Championship across the season), our away following is pretty good. We're never going to be a Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday but we're nowhere near the lowest either.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
With reference to Roger Harris's and Tim Carder's book Seagulls: The Story of Brighton and Hove Albion, just reminding myself of the League Cup tie against Derby in 76/77.

There was so much interest in the original home game that the Albion sold tickets on the turnstiles of a reserve game v Charlton, the crowd for which was 17,554. The game was a 33,500 sellout and I remember Derby fans arriving just before ko on the chicken run (this was pre-segregation) to find it absolutely rammed (sic) and wandering the aisles trying to glimpse a view. The huge roar told them Peter Ward had scored after 37 seconds, following a 1 on 1 save by Grummitt from Charlie George.

The away support for the Monday night replay (just 2 days after beating Swindon 4-0 at the Goldstone) is not recorded but "3 charter trains, a plane and numerous coaches" are cited. As the trains alone held 700 each, I suspect there was a minimum 3,000 Albion in the 25,880 at the Baseball ground. A good number had travelled to Reading on the Wednesday previous to see us win 3-2 and to Northampton the Saturday before that to see a 2-0 win. Busy and expensive times for fans of a rampaging Mullery team that went on to finish 2nd in Div 3 (2 points above another promoted club, Cr****l P****e). Peter Ward won Div 3 Player of the Season for his 36 goals, 32 in the League.

PG

So we managed over 3000 back then on a Monday night with worse road and rail infrastructure but will struggle to take 2000 on a saturday afternoon. It's not as if we've been overrun with away games either, in the five weeks we've had Shef Wed and Burnley which we probably took less than a thousand to in total.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Linked to the changes in the AMS when it went from lifetime to annual, I'll wager ....

Folk like me may only go to a handful of aways [yes, bad fan, I know], but now it's also constrained to POTG away days.
If Derby is POTG, I'll be there, if not it'll be fingers crossed for a stream.

Can you explain your logic here?

Why is it impossible to get tickets for away games now? I don't understand what you mean by "fans like me". Do you just mean you're not prepared to register for a FAN number? It doesn't cost anything, you know, and sometimes advanced tickets are cheaper.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove

PG

I could be wrong but i believe that we had 7,500 there that night. Was on first of 4 trains. I also believe it could have been the biggest official away support at the baseball ground. Great evening and the half time racket with their compare was brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here