Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

March for England 2014

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Let them carry on. I like the fact the only message their demonstration gets across is that they are minority group of knuckle-dragging goons which no one gives two hoots about.

I know what you mean, but some poor copper risks having his jaw punched, some poor business owner risks having their window put in and some passerby risks being the victim of affray. Sort of had enough.

Perhaps it's time to invite another council in England to hold the march.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Lucky that people can have the freedom to voice their opinion, or lucky that those opposed to freedom of expression are able to 'protest' under the banner of anti-fascism?

Neither. Lucky that we live in a society where the police or military are not politically involved. i visited Chile a few months after Pinochet's regime and Cambodia years after Pol Pot. The atmosphere of fear was still present in both societies. One once Fascist Right and the other once Fascist Left.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Lucky that people can have the freedom to voice their opinion, or lucky that those opposed to freedom of expression are able to 'protest' under the banner of anti-fascism?

I don't think the anti-fascists are opposed to freedom of expression but rather being opposed to the message those cretins are spreading using their freedom of expression.

Which is fine. Both sides using their right to say what they want even though they disagree. That's most definitely something which makes this country great.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Correct me of I am wrong, but I read somewhere that the council do not charge the protesters for the march and do not try to claim for any monies for damage caused as a result of the march like some councils do. If this is true this will explain why they march here other than they know it will make the news and there will be a fair amount of opposition which is what they want.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I went along to express my displeasure at the MfE yesterday along with many other people. Not all the antis were black hoodied agitators looking for a fight, many were just people letting the 'marchers' know that they are not welcome in this town. Personally I think we are too deferential to this event, it is clear that this is not a legitimate demonstration with an actual point, or even a celebration of St George. It is a deliberately provocative act in a town with a reputation for being 'liberal'. It is nothing more than a pointless exercise in shameless exhibitionism by a bunch of the ugliest people I have ever had the misfortune to see gathered in one place. There was no noble motive behind this march and I think it is right to challenge it and let these people know they are not welcome.

I support freedom of speech, but to exercise that right you actually have to say SOMETHING, which the MfE people do not. Their march has nothing to do with Brighton, it is only held here to cause disruption and a breach of the peace. I cannot see why businesses have to lose a days takings, or the general public get subjected to intimidatory behaviour just so the marchers can have police protected day out in Brighton. If this event is to go ahead next year it should be held away from the seafront and from busy business streets, and the 'marchers' bussed away as soon as possible so a repeat of the 'afters' can be avoided.

FWIW I thought the police did an excellent job yesterday, and kept any violence down to a minimum.

As a side note, some pictures of a rather fun looking St Georges day parade in Hastings appeared on my Facebook timeline this morning showing how it is possible to show pride in your country without acting like a knuckle-dragging moron.

D

Deleted member 22389

I went along to express my displeasure at the MfE yesterday along with many other people. Not all the antis were black hoodied agitators looking for a fight, many were just people letting the 'marchers' know that they are not welcome in this town. Personally I think we are too deferential to this event, it is clear that this is not a legitimate demonstration with an actual point, or even a celebration of St George. It is a deliberately provocative act in a town with a reputation for being 'liberal'. It is nothing more than a pointless exercise in shameless exhibitionism by a bunch of the ugliest people I have ever had the misfortune to see gathered in one place. There was no noble motive behind this march and I think it is right to challenge it and let these people know they are not welcome.

I support freedom of speech, but to exercise that right you actually have to say SOMETHING, which the MfE people do not. Their march has nothing to do with Brighton, it is only held here to cause disruption and a breach of the peace. I cannot see why businesses have to lose a days takings, or the general public get subjected to intimidatory behaviour just so the marchers can have police protected day out in Brighton. If this event is to go ahead next year it should be held away from the seafront and from busy business streets, and the 'marchers' bussed away as soon as possible so a repeat of the 'afters' can be avoided.

FWIW I thought the police did an excellent job yesterday, and kept any violence down to a minimum.

As a side note, some pictures of a rather fun looking St Georges day parade in Hastings appeared on my Facebook timeline this morning showing how it is possible to show pride in your country without acting like a knuckle-dragging moron.

Did the MFE express any forms of racism on the march because on the radio I heard people from the other side shouting and calling the MFE nazis?
Why are the MFE Nazi's, that's a pretty bad word to use.

What makes the MFE bad people, because the guy on the radio Sussex said they came down not to cause any trouble, they have no links to the EDL or any other group like that, they even spoke to the Police and said they didn't want to cause any disruption to local traders.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Did the MFE express any forms of racism on the march because on the radio I heard people from the other side shouting and calling the MFE nazis?
Why are the MFE Nazi's, that's a pretty bad word to use.

What makes the MFE bad people, because the guy on the radio Sussex said they came down not to cause any trouble, they have no links to the EDL or any other group like that, they even spoke to the Police and said they didn't want to cause any disruption to local traders.

Well I think the chanting of EDL, EDL! would have been a give away as to their links to the EDL, as was the Brighton Infidels banner (wow someone local actually turned up!). They know they are going to cause disruption, that is why the come here. I also saw a splinter group breakaway from the Brighthelm walk down West Street calling everyone out for a fight. Make no mistake, this was not a 'celebration' of St George. it was a group of people celebrating themselves and their own obnoxiousness. You cannot dress this up as a noble demonstration of patriotic sentiment, there are plenty of St Georges day events should you want to join them.

D

Deleted member 22389

Well I think the chanting of EDL, EDL! would have been a give away as to their links to the EDL, as was the Brighton Infidels banner (wow someone local actually turned up!). They know they are going to cause disruption, that is why the come here. I also saw a splinter group breakaway from the Brighthelm walk down West Street calling everyone out for a fight. Make no mistake, this was not a 'celebration' of St George. it was a group of people celebrating themselves and their own obnoxiousness. You cannot dress this up as a noble demonstration of patriotic sentiment, there are plenty of St Georges day events should you want to join them.

Ok fair enough. On the radio the organiser said half of the people from MFE where from Brighton and the surrounding areas.
Both sides do seem as bad as each if I am honest with you. Was EDL, EDL the worst thing they chanted? To hear Nazi being shouted out from the other side is not something people visiting Brighton would like to hear either.
I really don't get why the MFE are Nazis thou. Does that mean anybody who has an opinion to that other group is a Nazi.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

I saw the same group, and exchanged words with them when I was outside restaurant by the Town Hall...They were chanting EDL...i basically enquired if they had forgotten they were not EDL, but MFE.....they then headed up Duke Street...when they got to the top....they realised some antifa were coming around the corner at the bottom of Duke street...turned, and ran down to attack them...... about 10 nitwits.
antifa threw chairs at them...police came and held most of the EDL....lets not even try and pretend it wasnt an EDL march now...

I believe the majority of arrests were from the 'nationalists' this year....so that little argument put forward previously about arrests is obsolete.

The march shouldnt be allowed...it has no political intent....the only intent is to bring violence to Brighton.....
No nitwits bringing violence to Brighton....no nitwits opposing with violence.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Knuckle dragging right wing morons versus knuckle dragging left wing morons. Same story different year. Both should be banned.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ok fair enough. On the radio the organiser said half of the people from MFE where from Brighton and the surrounding areas.
Both sides do seem as bad as each if I am honest with you. Was EDL, EDL the worst thing they chanted? To hear Nazi being shouted out from the other side is not something people visiting Brighton would like to hear either.
I really don't get why the MFE are Nazis thou. Does that mean anybody who has an opinion to that other group is a Nazi.

Difficult to make out a lot of chanting due to the general noise, but that is kind of missing the point. What we had was an extremely unpleasant group of people looking for conflict (of course there were people willing to oblige) and revelling in their freedom to be abusive to those opposed to them. There was no doubt from what I saw that the marchers were up for a fight, constantly gesturing and calling people out.

I positively support the right to march and the right to protest. However when an event is organised purely for pointlessly disruptive purposes it loses legitimacy in my eyes. The MfE is not about anything other than people on the march showing off. I attended the counter-demo as I did not want to leave that job to the Black-Bloc agitators, I felt it important that local residents were represented in their opposition to this costly farce. The time has come for this event to be questioned as the city does not deserve the inevitable disruption.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The march shouldnt be allowed...it has no political intent....the only intent is to bring violence to Brighton.....
No nitwits bringing violence to Brighton....no nitwits opposing with violence.

Agreed. A pointless exercise in witless vanity that has no right to disrupt the city. There should be a be enough grounds to ban it for next year.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
ooops

Attachments

• smeeton.jpg
    smeeton.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 203

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Created a separate thread that includes poll regarding future events

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
That is such a red herring. Mohammed is the only islamic first name in the top 100 boys names for 2012. It appears in three forms making a total of 7139 children and it makes up just 3.5% of the 200K odd births those top 100 names account for. The top ten boys names listed are Harry, Oliver, Jack, Charlie, Jacob, Thomas, Alfie, Riley , William and James, all traditional British names and together representing 55k children. The story of the top 100 is not one of a creeping islamisation of childhood, but of a curious absense of "ethnic" names in the data.

You can find the data for yourself here. http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/re-reference-tables.html?edition=tcm:77-318071

And taking the data for ENGLAND (and not including Wales as this thread is about March for England and not March for England and Wales) you have at number 1 Harry with 6893 registered births but when you add up the 3 listed variations of Muhammad, Mohammed and Mohammad you get a total of 7032 registered births. So tell me how based on those figures for England how Mohammed and its various *******ised spellings is not the top name for boys in England and its a red herring?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So tell me how based on those figures for England how Mohammed and its various *******ised spellings is not the top name for boys in England and its a red herring?

From the ONS figures, in all forms Mohammed accounted for 7139 boys out of a total of 203007 boys names listed in the top 100. This accounts for 3.5% of the total boy's names and is explained by the fact that muslims are not very imaginative when it comes to boy's names. The total number of muslims in the UK is around 4.8% so it really is a red herring.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
From the ONS figures, in all forms Mohammed accounted for 7139 boys out of a total of 203007 boys names listed in the top 100. This accounts for 3.5% of the total boy's names and is explained by the fact that muslims are not very imaginative when it comes to boy's names. The total number of muslims in the UK is around 4.8% so it really is a red herring.

But the original post was disputing the fact that it was the top boys name in England which is clearly is. And not only are muslims not very imaginative when it comes to names, they are not very good at spelling either :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But the original post was disputing the fact that it was the top boys name in England which is clearly is. And not only are muslims not very imaginative when it comes to names, they are not very good at spelling either :)

A bit like Garry Nelson's parents?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here