Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dartford Crossing Cashless From November 30th

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
From November 30th all payment booths at the Dartford Crossing will be closed.
All payments will from then on be cashless.

Charges for cars will rise from £2 to £2.50.

Methods of payment will be:
Prepaid Account
Online at www.gov.uk/dart-charge
Over the phone by calling: 0300 300 0120
Via a payzone retail outlet
By post (in advance only): Dart Charge Customer Services PO Box 842 Leeds LS1 9QF

See https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/dart-charge

Fines for non payment will be up to £105

It's gonna be carnage.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
That seems a bit ridiculous for people who don't use it regularly, particularly tourists in rented cars etc...

It will be no different from Uk tourists experiencing the same driving abroad

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would assume that all vehicles will be subject to cameras and number plate recognition to ensure payment. Does that more foreigners will go to Dover owing money. Why they cannot link fines etc to departure computers at ports etc to ensure nobody leaves owing money I dont know.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Wonderful, a number of people lose their jobs which we'll now have to pay benefits to, and the price goes up as well, even though it only went up a couple of years ago. Lucky we own it so the money will go into the tax take...........oh no, hold on, we sold it off

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Casting my mind back to a two hour queue to get through the tunnel I was caught up in trying to get to Stanstead for a flight last summer this seems like a pretty good idea to me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How many people drive through that tunnel without prior thought or route planning, very few I would say unless problems at Blackwall Tunnel are reported, so it is not a problem to prepay.

I would think there will be many heading south to Dover who wont pay and just drive straight through. Possible the increase in tariff is to pay for them.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Can anyone who was around at time of Tunnel opening remember that there was only to be a toll until the construction costs had been covered? I'm sure a relative told me that the toll wasnt to be permanent

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can anyone who was around at time of Tunnel opening remember that there was only to be a toll until the construction costs had been covered? I'm sure a relative told me that the toll wasnt to be permanent

That was what was said at the time, who brought about the change I wouldnt remember Ken Livinstone possibly?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

Can you imagine in any conceivable world that being honoured when it generates that much cash (or should I say revenue).

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
From what I can gather, if you haven't set up the payment in advance, you'll still be able to go through the barrier, and you'll have until midnight the following day to pay up. That's similar to the congestion charge in London. People will adapt, it won't be carnage, and it will probably help with traffic jams.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
From November 30th all payment booths at the Dartford Crossing will be closed.
All payments will from then on be cashless.

Charges for cars will rise from £2 to £2.50.

Methods of payment will be:
Prepaid Account
Online at www.gov.uk/dart-charge
Over the phone by calling: 0300 300 0120
Via a payzone retail outlet
By post (in advance only): Dart Charge Customer Services PO Box 842 Leeds LS1 9QF

See https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/dart-charge

Fines for non payment will be up to £105

It's gonna be carnage.

Thanks for reminder/link. Just signed up for pre payment with auto top up. A simple process, registered both our cars, and £1.67 instead of £2.50 per trip. Best of all, no need to worry about forgetting to pay. Wont suit everyone, but if you are a fairly regular user got to be a good option.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Hopefully it will be just as effective as it was when they did the same thing to the M50 around Dublin. When the booths were there, the whole thing could be completely gridlocked for much of the day. It's transformed since they went to a cashless system.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The price certainly shouldn't have gone - ANPR is cheap as chips compared to employing real people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here