Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Old fashion school injustices

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
When I was in my final year at primary school (year5), in Northolt, we had weekly spelling tests. There were 20 words a week to learn. If you got 15 or less, you got the double ruler five times across the palm of the hand. Girls too. Needlees to say, I made sure I learnt those spellings each Thursday evening.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was about 14 when I was caught smoking by a prefect and was told to come and see him in his study that evening before prep.

I duly turned up and knocked nervously on the door, once inside the prefect was sitting in an armchair smoking a fag. He then proceeded to give me six pretty vicious strokes with a cane for breaking school rules and smoking. Didn’t cross my mind to whinge to the housemaster because I knew I get another caning. I was just more careful about smoking after that.

We also had a Latin teacher who would hang you out of a first floor window holding you under your armpits if you pissed him off.

Strangely I really enjoyed school :shrug:

What type of school was this you are talking about?
A prefect had a study and caned you. ???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I remember a teacher at a Horsham School who would arrange a punishment to be dealt out at break times in the changing rooms. He'd smack you on the backside after you'd changed into some rather fetching silky 70s football shorts!! I legged it out of school when faced with the "punishment", luckily my old man took me back to school and requested the Deputy Head give me the cane rather than this punishment (Thanks Dad!) ... only in the 70's!

Spackman his name by any chance

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
....and what about ‘arry Allt hanging a pupil over the wall of the quad?!

'''Arry Allt was seriously deranged. There was a story that he'd locked a boy in a cupboard for the afternoon: I never knew whether it was true or not but it was believable as it was the sort of thing he would do.

He was also a terrible teacher: there were some serious disciplinarians at the school - Spud, Teapot, Matt Bruce, Binky etc - but they were decent teachers. The Mad Axeman's history classes were deathly dull, a regurgitation of all his notes of the years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What type of school was this you are talking about?
A prefect had a study and caned you. ???

A boarding school in Dover, Simon Cowell, a pupil a few years after I’d left only lasted a term or so :smile:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
....and what about ‘arry Allt hanging a pupil over the wall of the quad?!

I was going to give 'arry Allt a mention. Going back to our Iranian classmate, on one occasion, during one of 'arry's history lessons, Farshad said something to 'arry's dislike. 'arry's reponse was to shout this at him, "I hate ****!" (rhymes with cogs)!!
Ah, the good old days!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Too ****ing right. My son was being bullied, verbally mostly, a few years ago, really knocked an intelligent confident boy back, I went to the park one day and gave him a god almighty mouthful. Little **** went home and told his mum I hit him, she called the pigs etc etc. Local copper was really good as was headmaster (albeit both of them very politically correctly, they knew the shit and his mum, no father!) I tried persuading Arthur to crush him like an ant, but he's a sensible sensitive lad. Thankfully, 2 months later they went separate ways to different schools.

When we were 10-11 it all got sorted on the playground or the way to/from school with hands fists and sturdy shoes. I dread to think what some of the less salubrious areas of Sussex are like for kids and young teenagers these days.

I think more people should be allowed to kick the shit out of kids. Maybe a few parents could do with a slap too.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Tripe for dinner, or liver, if you could afford it. Walk 2 miles in the rain to school, no central heating or hot water. AND blue passports.

Really looking forward to Christmas 2019 new eh.

Christ and people really call it the good old days!?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I generally managed to talk my way out of most situations (music teacher playing Plaistow Patricia as my chosen record at SGS to the rest of the class at the age of 12 wasn't best received by authority )

I did get whacked on the back of hand with a wooden ruler afew times at Victoria road primary school in the late 70's, for nothing significant enough for me to remember, got whacked with a big yard long ruler at Buckingham middles school very early 80's, for repeatedly ignoring lunch time rules. Once we got to Steyning the punishment was more mental than physical, reporting to head of year every morning at 8:55 for a month to check correct uniform ground me down, a bit.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
...then there was "Adolph" Eley!

I actually liked George Eley. When I was slipping behind in maths, he gave me loads of encouragement and helped me with stuff I found tricky. I did so well that I got the second highest mark in the class at the end of the year and George gave me a massive bar of chocolate as a reward. I was encouraged so much that I ended up doing maths A level.

He may have dressed like a Nazi officer - remember his leather overcoat - and had the attitude to match but he was a bloody good teacher.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Catholic School for me a Teacher call Turkewicz ,Polish resistance fighter . Now he would launch anything at you Tables,Chairs , the old school board rubbers . Seeing what he'd been through can't really blame him and he was a good teacher . The Nuns who taught us could dish out a fair bit of punishment .

Jul 7, 2003
Can't remember his name but as a young kid in a brief stint at John Selden Middle School in Worthing I remember being given the cane by the deputy head for picking up the wrong coat. In context, something had happened and they had piled all the kids coats up in one area and you had to find yours. This was when snorkel jackets had just become popular so there were about 50 of the things piled up. I picked up the one I thought was mine, realised it wasn't so put it back and somehow ended up being caned.

Also remember an English teacher at high school who didn't like me. During some bad weather we were told to amuse ourselves by writing a school based story. I wrote about the Dragon who lived in the English hut - not very subtle but it was written in humour. She didn't appreciate it and when it came to some English Literature tests to see who could take the O level, she set the pass mark half a point higher than my score which I am convinced was her revenge.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Attendees at Varndean Boys' School in the mid-sixties will remember a teacher called "Spud" Taylor, who kept a piece of wood on his desk called the "Trouncer". It used to be part of the piano. If the elected head pupil of the class thought any of us did something in his eyes he thought wrong, he would write your name on the blackboard.
When "Spud" arrived at the start of lessons, he would call out the names on the boards. These victims would then have to go to the front of the class, bend over, and "Spud" would wallop you on the backside with it. Quite painful!
If you got hit with "The Trouncer" on three occasions, you were rewarded the privilege of being able to carve your name on it. It was a badge of honour to do so. Yes, my name was carved on it, along with other miscreants going back a few years.
The life of "the Trouncer" sadly came to an end when "Spud" overdid his back-swing before walloping someone. As the lump of wood met this particular buttock, "The Trouncer" split in two and was binned.
Oh, the good old days.

I remember it well. Do I know you? When were you there? I went there from '66. I also remember the Sammy whack, but never experienced it and Screaming 'Arry Ault with board dusters and chalk flying at miscreants with unerring accuracy.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I was bullied badly buy a black kid at school for nearly 2 years. One day I snapped, turned round and battered him.

The kids dad pulled the racism card and got me kicked out of school 6 months before my gcse exams. Never mind the physical punishment, mental anguish and depression i suffered for years at the ***** hands. Which lasted well into my mid 20's.

Moved to Dorothy Stringer miles away from home. The school used different exam boards to my old one so nearly all my coursework was useless. And failed most of my exams. Had no mates any more.

I still think about that **** most days. And his **** of a dad.

Still haven't forgotten. Never will.

Will never forgive the school either for being so ****ing chicken in dealing with it. As soon as that wanker pulled the racist card I was ****ed.

Funny enough i had a problem with with an Asian lad a couple of years older than me until i kicked 7 bells out of him one lunchtime . The race card was played and i got the cane for it . The row stupidly over Football ,but he did support The Twats from Hampshire.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Oh, just remembered first year at HGS we had an ex soldier called Grant for PE. He used to either whack you with a plimsole or the leather bound bottom of a climbing rope of you did just about anything wrong or dodn’t follow instruction. Usual rules re showering - run through the cold showers in a line with the PE master watching every move.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Tripe for dinner, or liver, if you could afford it. Walk 2 miles in the rain to school, no central heating or hot water. AND blue passports.

Really looking forward to Christmas 2019 new eh.

We had a coal fire downstairs and a parafin heater on the landing upstairs heating the bedrooms. The crittal windows in my bedroom had ice on the inside in winter lol.
I used to lay on top of my bed covers face down, with my hands tucked under me, listening to music until my bed warmed up enough to climb in.
Funny enough it didn't feel like suffering, just the way life was at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here