Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To my eternal shame

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
The first ever football match that I attended was at Selhurst Park. I went with Bevendean Badgers to see Palace vs Tottenham. Spurs won 3-2 and Nigel Martin made his debut.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
As a punishment for your heinous crime you must return to Selhurst Park, you must go into the HOME dressing room, you must have an enormous dump on the floor, and you must leave without telling anyone of your act of contrition.

One major fault in this strategy, it's Selhurst, you would only notice it if you slipped in it. And if their Coachdriver had been on the premises there might not be room for another dump!

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I used to go to Selhurst park to watch football. Yes, that ground!

Before I get dismissed as a heretic let me explain.

I am going back to 1970 and I have two older brothers, one who is a Leeds fan and the other Spurs, I was a bit of a closet Liverpool fan too. They used to take their little brother to Selhurst Park to see the big boys play and to get autographs of some of the stars of the day - when players happily signed autographs on the way back to the team coach!

I remember seeing the original fat boy slim Tommy Lawrence playing in goal for Liverpool and seeing Crazy Horse and Roger Hunt score against the Palace.

I must reiterate I wasn't ever supporting Palace, just going to their ground to see some stars of the day!

Can I ever be forgiven for this lapse of judgement, to be fair, I was only 10 and star struck...

Anybody else have a secret shame....?
You shall forever be tainted I'm afraid, not much you can do about it

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
I used to go to Selhurst park to watch football. Yes, that ground!

Before I get dismissed as a heretic let me explain.

I am going back to 1970 and I have two older brothers, one who is a Leeds fan and the other Spurs, I was a bit of a closet Liverpool fan too. They used to take their little brother to Selhurst Park to see the big boys play and to get autographs of some of the stars of the day - when players happily signed autographs on the way back to the team coach!

I remember seeing the original fat boy slim Tommy Lawrence playing in goal for Liverpool and seeing Crazy Horse and Roger Hunt score against the Palace.

I must reiterate I wasn't ever supporting Palace, just going to their ground to see some stars of the day!

Can I ever be forgiven for this lapse of judgement, to be fair, I was only 10 and star struck...

Anybody else have a secret shame....?

No excuse for this big bro

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Eh? Exactly how many clubs have you supported?

I have only ever supported Brighton. As a 5 year old with a big brother who was a Leeds fan I picked the "other team" in the 1965 FA Cup Final - Liverpool. I followed Liverpool's results after that game. As soon as I was allowed and able to go to watch football on my own or with mates I watched my local club, Brighton and have supported them through thick and thin ever since. I was there in the 33,000+ crowds in the third division days and the lows at Priestfield and Withdean.
The Sheffield United shirt was a present from my Mum, who never really has understood football...

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I have only ever supported Brighton. As a 5 year old with a big brother who was a Leeds fan I picked the "other team" in the 1965 FA Cup Final - Liverpool. I followed Liverpool's results after that game. As soon as I was allowed and able to go to watch football on my own or with mates I watched my local club, Brighton and have supported them through thick and thin ever since. I was there in the 33,000+ crowds in the third division days and the lows at Priestfield and Withdean.
The Sheffield United shirt was a present from my Mum, who never really has understood football...

This, I've never understood anything but follow your local team. All these southerners supporting Man U etc, I just find it all completely bizarre

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This, I've never understood anything but follow your local team. All these southerners supporting Man U etc, I just find it all completely bizarre

No weirder than people supporting Barcelona when they live in England and the extent of their Spanish is Dos cervezas por favor!

Cut me some slack too... I was FIVE I probably didn't even know Brigton existed...

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Well I know why because these twunts are glory hunters. A few seasons ago I was at the Brighton v Blackburn game. Afterwards I was with some Blackburn fans who are actually from Uckfield like me. 4 or 5 of them. After the game I was questioning them in the pub as to why they were Blackburn fans even though they are Sussex boys born and bred. I couldn't get my head round it. You know why, Blackburn were successful in the mid '90-s and that fits our age group of around 40 years old. I honestly find it pathetic. Theres a whole rash of Sussex boys that support Liverpool because they were good in the 80's when we were kids. What sad pitiful fools, growing up to support a team just because they were the best when they were kids. Twats

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well I know why because these twunts are glory hunters. A few seasons ago I was at the Brighton v Blackburn game. Afterwards I was with some Blackburn fans who are actually from Uckfield like me. 4 or 5 of them. After the game I was questioning them in the pub as to why they were Blackburn fans even though they are Sussex boys born and bred. I couldn't get my head round it. You know why, Blackburn were successful in the mid '90-s and that fits our age group of around 40 years old. I honestly find it pathetic. Theres a whole rash of Sussex boys that support Liverpool because they were good in the 80's when we were kids. What sad pitiful fools, growing up to support a team just because they were the best when they were kids. Twats

I repeat I was FIVE when I had my aberration! Your mates would have been around 18, slightly different scenario...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
May 1983 i was taken to see Pompey beat Walsall 1 0 to get promoted to Division 2 in front of 36000 .At the time i would get taken to Aldershot a couple of times a season . My next game was opening day of the season Aldershot 1 Hereford 4 and i was hooked. I still shudder at the thought that i almost took a dark path.
Did a Pompey fan tell you that was the crowd? In reality it was 22,000.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

I understand it.

I went to school when we were at Priestfield and the early years at Withdean.
Barely and kids in my school supported Brighton.
I'm guessing this was because the only evidence that the club would have existed to us was if our Dad's took us to games. Which mine didn't, and none of my mates were taken.
Boys naturally love football, we played it every day and watched it whenever it was on TV, usually the Champions League games on ITV or MotD.
We collected Panini stickers and World Cup coins/cards.
Brighton barely existed to most of us in my age group.

Luckily for me, my Dad took me to the last game at the Goldstone, and I was hooked. Most of my mates weren't so lucky, and grew up watching Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal on the TV and ended up favouring one of them.

Why would your average 10 year old kid support a team which he has no real connection to, not seeing games, no TV coverage, no parent supporters? Totally understandable imo.

I've mentioned it in a previous thread, we've got a 'lost generation' of fans between 1997 and 2011. Young and old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here