Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

Kudos to all who took part. I was shattered from just clapping (non stop, for two hours) as the runners passed me at then bottom of Beacon Hill in Ovingdean. So you lot must be utterly exhausted.

Brilliant.

Thank you so much for the support. I have ran all 6 Brighton Marathons & am amazed as to the support from the locals. Given that I have ran marathons all around the world, Brighton is truly the best given our size of population for support. That's why I keep doing it!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Dear god that was hard work. First marathon 5:43:36.

Just a little shout of appreciation for anyone who was out and shouted names of runners as we came past, you really have no idea how much that helps, particularly for us slower runners.

Well done everyone who took part

that's a long time on your feet so well done you should feel immensely proud of yourself. Do you still have that silly grin of satisfaction on your face??

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done.

Agree about the cups, I carried a camel back but had a couple of cups and either spilt them or choked, also they seemed to be quite a hazard when running through the empties.

By the way we're there any pacers this year, didn't see any?

Yes there were pacers. I was talking to the 3:45 pair with pink balloons in the pen. I thought easy, stick behind them and get the sub 3:45. Easy running to 14 miles. 16 miles my legs did not like it but still on course. After that it was hard and from the power station I had to WALK for a minute every mile (where I knew my friends or family would not be).

So started feeling well up for beating last years time and finished just in 3:57 something, 7 minutes out. First time in my life my legs have failed to get my planned target. You must have Steve Ovetted me between the Lagoon and finish. I had nothing left and you missed an opportunity to laugh as you went past.

Well done all runners today and I am glad some of you enjoyed it! Had a good pub crawl home though to stretch the legs.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did anyone else get a Gatorade passed to them by Paul Barber?

PB was on a water station today.

Dear god that was hard work. First marathon 5:43:36.

Just a little shout of appreciation for anyone who was out and shouted names of runners as we came past, you really have no idea how much that helps, particularly for us slower runners.

Well done everyone who took part

I've just realised who you are!

IndianaPaul

Kingdom Of Withdean
Dec 19, 2008
First marathon in 4:56:42. Suffered massively in the second half, especially around shoreham and had to walk. Great effort from everyone who ran, cheered, clapped, shouted and gave up their time for a brilliant event.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Did anyone else get a Gatorade passed to them by Paul Barber?
Yes, I did. Saw Paul Rodgers first at the waterstation, the Barber in front of him. So went to him for a Gatorade. Asked if Tony Bloom had been past, and he said yes.

Average day at the office for me. But just glad to start, get round and finish. And didn't Brighton look resplendent in the spring sun?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Yes there were pacers. I was talking to the 3:45 pair with pink balloons in the pen. I thought easy, stick behind them and get the sub 3:45. Easy running to 14 miles. 16 miles my legs did not like it but still on course. After that it was hard and from the power station I had to WALK for a minute every mile (where I knew my friends or family would not be).

So started feeling well up for beating last years time and finished just in 3:57 something, 7 minutes out. First time in my life my legs have failed to get my planned target. You must have Steve Ovetted me between the Lagoon and finish. I had nothing left and you missed an opportunity to laugh as you went past.

Well done all runners today and I am glad some of you enjoyed it! Had a good pub crawl home though to stretch the legs.

Sorry mate, did n't find you (or the pacers) at the start. Did n't know after that whether you were in front of me or behind, kept looking at all the up and down areas but without success. Maybe you were just weighed down with your national winnings! Back to PR Saturday.

Great day, just enjoyed a post run curry cooked up by our friends for us.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
3:39 for me. Was on for 3:20 and feeling pretty good but got horrible cramps at 23 miles and had to walk/jog the way in. Not dissapointed though as never done one before so was going to be a PB whatever!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good first half but something went wrong (suspect it was a reaction to the gels) and I became very nauseous. Was gibbering and incoherent by the end as [MENTION=3788]Barrel of Fun[/MENTION] will testify.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good luck to everyone taking part.......and the many hundreds of volunteers and helpers, without whom it wouldn't be possible to have an event that raises so much in money, awareness of those less fortunate than ourselves and fitness levels for participants.

Superb.

A big thank you to the generosity of the good folk of NSC. Raised nearly £2,300 for Alzheimer's Society and I'm overwhelmed by your kindness.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Was gibbering and incoherent by the end

Or as it is better known, a mild case of Poyet syndrome.

(Congratulations btw. A fantastic personal achievement and a fantastic total raised, which I will gladly add to tomorrow).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Congratulations to all runners, and a massive thank you from me to all those who came out to support. You can't imagine how humbling and touching it is that so many turned out to cheer us all on. Amazing scenes, in an amazing city.

It was my first Marathon, and I helped myself to a very cheeky 3:37:55. I was over a minute up on my target of 3:30 at mile 20, but my legs caved in a touch and I had nothing left really.

Also a big thank you to whoever the Anonymous donator was on my justgiving page, I am close the £500 target which I hope to achieve in the coming week!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here