Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In Chris Hughton we trust

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Should have moved for a new scapegoat during the window -- it's not safe going into a relegation scrap with only one player at that position.

He might come good, and then where would we be?
Us fans could always buy the club. With the amount of tenners you've pledged I reckon you're half way there already.

:lolol:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'd have liked to have seen another striker with CMS replaced but that will have to wait until the summer I guess. On the plus side both Baldock and COG are looking capable which couldn't really be said going into the window.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
OK, so with regards to how we are playing can you explain that a little more. I'm assuming the ball is sticking upfront with COG, bringing the midfielders into the game much higher up the pitch. Is it as simple as that? Or are we also looking more organised in defence etc?

In part it's down to the ball sticking with COG and midfielders getting higher up the pitch, but it's also down to several players' form improving: COG being one, Tex too, and Ince especially. In terms of the defence, we began to look solid when Dunk and Halford formed a CD partnership, but have fallen away since Halford's injury and Greer's return. Greer, to my mind, played about his best football under Hyypia, but has been poor since coming back from injury, exposed for pace, and painfully slow on the turn, and even positionally poor.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Im worried about Millwall, I can see them going on a bit of a run now and getting out of it, we need to drag a few more teams into the mix as I think this is going to the wire.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We adapted by playing route 1 football to COG - it's a style of play that we're too small and lightweight to be effective at. Fortunately the pitches in this division (and several divisions below) are set up to allow technical teams to succeed. I think I'd stop going if we had to play that way on terrible pitches every week.

Butterfly...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
More spin, exactly how were/are we ahead of the game?

I expect some more smoke and mirrors over the next few days from Barber, telling us what a fine job we did in the window and how difficult everything is, but we came up trumps.

We have renewed a loan, brought in an out of favour forward with little game time and an injury prone midfielder. It may all work out but it's not really earth shattering business is it? In fact both permanents are a bit risky.

Both? Only 1, surely? But I agree with what you are saying...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He signed from a decent club as a first teamer, so his wages would've been in the region of 10K a week. Given that he has been here since June, and the probable signing fee that tends to accompany a 'free' transfer, I'd imagine that in total Toko has cost the club in the region of 500k, or, as you say, £20 per season ticket.

The above is an excellent example as to why the club should not be making panic signings that have to be paid for over the next 6 months, when, based on January's results, they can have a reasonable degree of confidence that the current squad are good enough to keep us up.

So many over-cofident complacent souls on here. Or are you just a club apologist?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
That's the spirit! All our woes are down to one 20 year old. Don't you just love one liners from "fans" that fixate on one of the best players that have come out of our academy. No he isn't another Rooney or Owen so he isn't good enough for us. Sheesh, give me strength!

THIS! Harry Kane was 'shit' a couple of years ago. Football is a game of opinions but, unless you're name's Neymar, very few 20 year olds can operate/flourish in struggling sides at this level. Injuries at the Albion has meant that the 'established' u21 international, from our academy, has been asked to play too much football (while Ince played too little). Hopefully with Kayal coming in and Stephens coming back, JFC can be used more sparingly.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think the club think there are more of us willing to just keep handing over money than there actually are. I predict a massive falling off in renewals next year. One because of the lack of ambition this season and two because it's dead easy to get a ticket with the size of the stadium.

The downside is that we"ll probably sell anyone we get an offer for and replace them with risks and kids or loans as the revenues will fall away dramatically. Just staying up will probably be our ambition until the academy produces.

Unfortunately, this seems to be our 'strategy'.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You made the trip and were there supporting the team on Saturday did you?

No. I wisely avoided that one (as I stated on here previously). And your point is? It was only a light-hearted comment. Get over yourself.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Another impressively managed transfer window - a big well done to the club. We are clearly going places and I'm glad to be aboard for the ride. I can't wait to see what we do in the summer.

Onwards and upwards.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I should imagine that CH is disappointed with the outcome of the January window. For what ever reason he has not been able to bring in his own players and therefore has to play his style with some players he would probably prefer not to have in his squad.

I've said before we are better set up under CH but I would have thought he was promised a bit of a war chest to sign new players to an already weak squad. I'm disappointed let's hope we sign a couple in the loan market and then give CH a few bob to spend in the summer.

"In Chris Houghton we Trust?", yes but the club needs to back him financially.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I think the club is aiming for a final league position of around 18th - this season is a complete write off and the goal - rightly - is just survival now. I imagine CH was told this when he signed up. We're in for a very sticky season and its a high risk strategy but we'll be ok. Either way i'll be there next season - it's the Albion, it's what we do.

As for signings/not signings with the focus on the development squad we need to be ready for a future of more selling than buying, and that seems sensible.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I should imagine that CH is disappointed with the outcome of the January window. For what ever reason he has not been able to bring in his own players and therefore has to play his style with some players he would probably prefer not to have in his squad.

I've said before we are better set up under CH but I would have thought he was promised a bit of a war chest to sign new players to an already weak squad. I'm disappointed let's hope we sign a couple in the loan market and then give CH a few bob to spend in the summer.

Kayal is a Hughton choice as he tried to buy him for Norwich.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Because, ignoring the Blackpool farce, we have taken 10 points in the 5 championship games since SH resigned: Reading, Fulham, Charlton, Brentford, Ipswich. And we also beat Brentford in the cup and pushed Arsenal close.

Even if you include the Blackpool result it's still 10 points from 6, which is play off form. It's been done to death, but anyone who went seems to agree that Saturday's pitch was so poor that the performance and result shouldn't be taken as any sort of indication of our current form.

Well I've heard all the apologists for Saturdays result ( incl Greer and Bruno )...so thats alright then!
Poor pitch and poor referee...so we can't perform. It'll all be better when we get back to our ' billiard table ' and can play proper football again. I'm sorry but I've seen Albion sides in the past grind out results on poor surfaces. This lot didn't fancy it! They had their excuses ready rather than rolling up their sleeves.
I've seen teams having to play on pitches that resembled ploughed fields/paddy fields. I've seen teams playing on plastic, with unpredictable bounce and I 've seen players in snow. I've seen matches in thick fog and thunderstorms. Blackpool's pitch was poor but lets not hide behind the excuse that it was unplayable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Like they backed Oscar and Hyypia you mean? They haven't got a great recent track record of backing managers have they? I wouldn't be too shocked if CH walked at the end of the season.

Never mind I'm sure we can use the loan window to strengthen rather than actually BUY some players. No doubt followed by a summer of waiting until the season is two weeks old before we make any moves for players not already snapped up by better prepared clubs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can see Chris Hughton being here for a few years. First level-headed manager we've hard in yonks. He will give the club some much-needed stability and allow for some proper team-building in the Summer rather than the usual managerial circus. Good appointment.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Like they backed Oscar and Hyypia you mean? They haven't got a great recent track record of backing managers have they? I wouldn't be too shocked if CH walked at the end of the season.

Never mind I'm sure we can use the loan window to strengthen rather than actually BUY some players. No doubt followed by a summer of waiting until the season is two weeks old before we make any moves for players not already snapped up by better prepared clubs.

Piss poor management as usual. I doubt anything will change anytime soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here