Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Friday debate - Would you give up your UK passport?

Could you give up your U.K. passport?

• Yes - I don’t mind giving up my U.K. passport

Votes: 55 47.4%
  • No - Rule Brittania etc etc.

Votes: 61 52.6%

• Total voters

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
America is the only country I have visited where I was truly interrogated at immigration. It was almost funny in a 'am I in a comedy sketch here' kind of way.

Been there 4 times , first 2 times immigration were so unsmiling and hostile i felt like turning round and getting back on the plane .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Entering Japan was quite amusing. I got rather drunk with a band which was on my flight. I walked up to the desk and conducted all the interview wearing shades and smelling of booze. At one point I was politely asked to lift my glasses for the photo, I duly lifted them an inch or two, lowered them again and was let in.

:lolol:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why is taking a passport that might enable you to work in a different country capitalism at it's finest? When is your contribution to society through work considered capitalism? I honestly don't understand your view point.

You can work in a different country without giving up a British passport and taking a new one. I have done so in three stints working abroad. My reference to capitalism was the idea expressed on this thread that people would make their passport decision basis whatever is in their best economic interest rather than see a British passport as simply a document that comes with their personal circumstances. A bit like choosing to support Man Utd because they win rather than your local/family team. These days a passport is actually rather more useful as it acts as an ID card. I have used mine as proof of identity for jobs and finance more than for foreign travel in recent years. To give it up for reasons such as 'not liking what it represents' or for the next job opportunity when that is actually unnecessary seems to me like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face or a rather pure form of capitalist self interest where people are willing to reject something given to them by society and for which many people abroad would literally die to have.
Anyway, interesting to exchange such differing views even if it is on a thread where the OP derides anyone in disagreement as believing in 'rule Brittania etc.'

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'd much rather keep my British Passport, but I might have to accept the inevitable and have a Russian one when they come knocking.

I’ll just swap sides and get my Italian one ready. Ruskies don’t have any problem with Italy do they Veg ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Pretty depressing result really to the poll, but hardly surprising really.

When push comes to shove many people will place freedom over patriotism, the UK passport will soon no longer be Premier League

or many readers of this thread haven't voted because of the patronising description of those who would vote 'no' ? who knows, who cares but don't be depressed about it.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What are you talking about, a document doesn't define who I am or my nationality. I made my hypothetical point quite clear, so if there is no advantage to another passport – I wouldn't take it would I. You've jumped in with your size 10s on. Interesting you mention the US, when only 36% of the population even have a passport, so 64% don't think its even worth having one at all!

What you are basically saying, is that unless I have a British passport, I'm not British, which is frankly ridiculous.

he isnt saying anything of the sort , how on earth have you arrived at that conclusion?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
1. Thatcher probably largely caused the Death of Society with the emphasis on greed and selfishness which came from her leadership, whether she intended it or not.

2. And my own personal response had nothing to do with not accepting a democratic vote.

thatcher emphasised self reliance , greed and selfishness ? grow up.....

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Great post (Neville’s breakfast) also though there is also an ideological element here where being ‘European’ implies a worldliness and cosmopolitan element to you when in reality the vast majority of British passport holders do not currently use their EU status for the benefit of free movement of labour. Brits working abroad are for the most part in former colonies that don’t allow them unfettered access but they still manage just fine.

Not many people are going to have their life choices dramatically hindered by any change in status, the current status is a very recent thing anyway and not taken up by the vast majority of British citizens.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
All of my most interesting experiences entering the US seem to come at the Detroit border. Very weird, all things considered.

That said, I was asked whether I spoke English at the Buffalo border once, while the agent was holding my British passport.

plenty of british passport holders cant

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Look at the amount of British people living in the US,Hong Kong Singapore etc. Before we even start on the antipodes. This belief or rather middle class affectation that we will not be able to work in Paris or Milan any more is just nonsensical as a) most British migrants will go to English speaking countries to work and b) very few people have the language skills to work in mainland europe anyway

This EU passport stuff is utter guff. If you get a job in Paris post brexit making artisan bread or curating an art gallery I am pretty sure residency and visas will not be a problem

quality stuff as usual

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'll give you a clue. Have a look at the picture in post #39.

No they are not.None of those are issued by 'Europe',so can't possibly be a European passport,they are British passports.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No they are not.None of those are issued by 'Europe',so can't possibly be a European passport,they are British passports.

European passport is valid to work, holiday, and health in Europe, not issued by Europe. Stop splitting hairs.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
quality stuff as usual

It’s true mate as you know.. Most Brits go to work in these places they are not grape picking in Bordeaux even though you can drive there. The things that influence British migration for work are not defined by physical proximity but rather related to historical, familial cultural etc links to countries that are genereally not EU. There is no chance of that changing any time soon. No matter what a nice idea the EU is. This is not British exceptionalism or a desire to paint the world pink again it’s just a fact.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It’s true mate as you know.. Most Brits go to work in these places they are not grape picking in Bordeaux even though you can drive there. The things that influence British migration for work are not defined by physical proximity but rather related to historical, familial cultural etc links to countries that are genereally not EU. There is no chance of that changing any time soon. No matter what a nice idea the EU is.

totally agree mate , getting off the subject went to bordeaux last year , lovely , lovely place , pains.me.to say it but we could.learn a lot from the french , im used to be a strong proponent of anglo.saxon capitalism , not so.sure now , how you keeping anyway ?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
totally agree mate , getting off the subject went to bordeaux last year , lovely , lovely place , pains.me.to say it but we could.learn a lot from the french , im used to be a strong proponent of anglo.saxon capitalism , not so.sure now , how you keeping anyway ?

France is a wonderful wonderful country - my idea of heaven is a marmite dieppois in dieppe or a weekend in Le Touquet (things I have done before and will continue to do after “EU” citizenship) doesn’t mean I have to subscribe to EU nationality to do so. I love a laksa in geylang but I don’t need a Singapore passport for that.

I can cut out ferry coupons from the Argus but Singapore airlines demand hard cash, but the point remains. When brexit hits, am I gonna get binned off at dieppe? I don’t think so.

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
European passport is valid to work, holiday, and health in Europe, not issued by Europe. Stop splitting hairs.

How about a part of Europe passport (soon to be a smaller part),but issued by home country?:lolol: not.png

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here