Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best strike partnership at the Albion?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We had a couple of loan strikers really hit it off for about a dozen games, Steve Cotterill and .... I just can't think. Can anyone help?

Ok, hardly the best ever, but they were a refreshing break, from lower league mediocrity. In fact, that early 90's was littered with brief optimism about a striker, as it was the era of Mark Gall, Bryan Wade, and Kurt Nogan, who all flashed (on the pitch, rather than the Dean Saunders team photo kind of way) briefly, but it wasn't to last.

Overall though. I was too late for the Ward Mellor partnership, so my money has to be on Ritchie and Robinson.
Paul Moulden.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Sorry but I'm going to cast serious doubt over Zamora and Steele. They barely played together at all.

Oct 25, 2003
Sorry but I'm going to cast serious doubt over Zamora and Steele. They barely played together at all.

my memory must be playing tricks on me then. I know we often played with 1 up front under Taylor, but Steele scored a reasonable amount that season so must have played a decent amount?

how often did they play together?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
my memory must be playing tricks on me then. I know we often played with 1 up front under Taylor, but Steele scored a reasonable amount that season so must have played a decent amount?

how often did they play together?

I'm sure someone will have the stats in full, but Steele scored 12 over a 2 year period in 70 games.. I might be wrong but in my mind's eye, a huge chunk of those games were from off the subs bench.
He DID play up top with Zamora on occasion, but I'm fairly sure it was infrequent.

Of course he's best known for that injury time offside winner against Bristol City - but I think Zamora was out injured anyway!

Edit: 30 of those 70 games were starts, 40 as sub appearances

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Prior to Locadia signing I'm almost convinced Byrne and Small would have been the answer to this seasons woes.

God, me loves Micky Small.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
see my username.

certainly in my time of watching The Albion.

Brighton and Hove Albion v Walsall, 05 October 1976
Score 7-0 to Brighton and Hove Albion
Competition League Division Three

Byrne and Small
Nelson and Bremner
but for those who were there - it could only ever be Mellor and Ward. Legendary game, all goals in 2nd half. Mullers earnt his money at HT.

PG

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
O'Grady & Fenelon. Saw that and wet myself*

*with fear

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here