Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spain v England on FRIDAY

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
18.jpg

Taking place here in Alicante, at the Estadio José Rico Pérez, home of Hércules CF (Seguna B). 29,500 capacity. Quite impressive for an old-style stadium - can't beat a stadium with proper STEEP sides IMO - that's something that's always mildly irked me about the Amex, the shallow rake of the seating. Anyway, I'd assume this'll be a full house. Should be worth a sniff.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I understand that but that is not what the paying public want to see. They want our best to compete with Spains best to see how we stand as regards our chances as possible winners of the Euro next year.

You're paying to go to Spain to watch?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My son is going to Spain for the weekend and says he may go. This time net year we may be saying " we werent as good as our qualifying lead us to believe hence we got knocked out early but our back up players were good".

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Benidorm will be HEAVING this weekend. Sticky Vicky will be playing in front of full houses.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My son is going to Spain for the weekend and says he may go. This time net year we may be saying " we werent as good as our qualifying lead us to believe hence we got knocked out early but our back up players were good".

Don't we know this already? Is there anyone in England truly believing that they will actually do well at a major tournament?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We've already qualified. What better time to try out newer players?

I'm not so sure. Clearly there are some players that have had good starts to the season that we should be having a look at. However, Hodgson has been in the job for 5 years now, I'd like to think that he realistically knows who 20 or so of the squad will be (injury permitting.)

The key for me now it to give the first 11/18 a chance to gel play together and gain confrdence, especially against top class international opposition. We did brilliantly in the group but it wasn't particularly challenging.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
18.jpg

Taking place here in Alicante, at the Estadio José Rico Pérez, home of Hércules CF (Seguna B). 29,500 capacity. Quite impressive for an old-style stadium - can't beat a stadium with proper STEEP sides IMO - that's something that's always mildly irked me about the Amex, the shallow rake of the seating. Anyway, I'd assume this'll be a full house. Should be worth a sniff.

Been right at the top of the big STEEP with [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION] a few years ago. Stadium seen better days but the PA really does BELT OUT sound.

Hercules have a great badge AND they play in Blue and White stripes, albeit the wide variety like Hartlepool

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This round of friendlies is little more than a necessary evil as the Euro play-offs (and various other confederation qualifiers I suspect) need to be played.

As for the game itself, it should be of interest to Roy Hodgson, but personally as a fan I really cannot be arsed with it.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I understand that but that is not what the paying public want to see. They want our best to compete with Spains best to see how we stand as regards our chances as possible winners of the Euro next year.
I'm not sure whether I'd qualify as a member of the paying public as I'm not sure what criteria you're using to talk on people's behalf but I personally get enjoyment from friendlies because it's where the fringe players get a run out and a chance to make an impact.

I'm sure most on here could name the strongest England squad with very little variation amongst the guesses, as could any other international coach (presumably). We're hardly awash with talent after all.

If one of those players on the edge (Vardy, for example) turns up and plays well against quality opposition then we've suddenly got a legitimate new option for next summer that we wouldn't have had if it was Rooney up front for the 4 millionth time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is it on t' telly?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We need to play our best 11 so we can actually see where we are at having not played any meaningful opposition in qualifying !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ordinarily I'd be a bit 'meh' but I actually think England have got the germ of a decent side in the making and I'd be interested to see the following line-up:

1. Butland. 2.Clyne. 3.Bertrand. 4.Stones. 5.Cahill. 6.Carrick. 7.Alli. 8.Barkley. 9.Vardy. 10.Kane. 11.Sterling.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Been right at the top of the big STEEP with [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION] a few years ago. Stadium seen better days but the PA really does BELT OUT sound.

Hercules have a great badge AND they play in Blue and White stripes, albeit the wide variety like Hartlepool

The game should really not be held there. The stadium is a semi-crumbling wreck with a capacity too small for this type of fixture.

It should be being played at nearby Elche, however the Spanish League and F.A. have it in for Elche (having been challenged in the courts because of their forced demotion from La Liga) so they decided to give it instead to their arch-rivals.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ordinarily I'd be a bit 'meh' but I actually think England have got the germ of a decent side in the making and I'd be interested to see the following line-up:

1. Butland. 2.Clyne. 3.Bertrand. 4.Stones. 5.Cahill. 6.Carrick. 7.Alli. 8.Barkley. 9.Vardy. 10.Kane. 11.Sterling.

Would be good to see, but surely Smalling over Cahill ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here