Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My grammar was sloppy - what I meant to comment on was the poster's absolute certainty that Brexit will not cause a downturn. The other events that might cause problems are generated outside the country; Brexit is home-grown... as someone else put it, the greatest act of national self-immolation since who knows when.
Weird that you apply a reasonable amount of doubt about another posters absolute view and then write one yourself.

What on earth?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You have completely avoided my question. You said the U.K. economy was strong. I simply asked by what measurement. Play the ball, not the man.

Quite simply comparably our economy is the 5th largest economy in the world, its stronger compared to every other economy from the 6th downwards and not as strong from the 4th upwards.

Whats not strong about being the 5th largest economy in the World, if not why should we be expected to £12 billion over seas aid, why should we have been expected to contribute £13 billion to your beloved EU whereas other countries contribute significantly less, I cannot recall you ever commenting on these payments that would be astonishingly illogical if we were not deemed 'rich' by any measure you care to mention ......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite simply comparably our economy is the 5th largest economy in the world, its stronger compared to every other economy from the 6th downwards and not as strong from the 4th upwards.

Whats not strong about being the 5th largest economy in the World, if not why should we be expected to £12 billion over seas aid, why should we have been expected to contribute £13 billion to your beloved EU whereas other countries contribute significantly less, I cannot recall you ever commenting on these payments that would be astonishingly illogical if we were not deemed 'rich' by any measure you care to mention ......

"Largest" is a reference to the size, GDP, of the economy. This isn't a measure of strength is it? Big doesn't necessarily mean strong. For example if you start applying the size (GDP) to factors like capita the UK drops away quickly ie having the 5th largest economy doesn't mean as much if you have 60m people to service.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But if you do want to play the man I suggest you open your eyes and read my many posts on Greece and the Syrian refugee crisis. It's all here in this chat room.

Without trolling your posts, I cannot recall you ever laying any blame at the EU, certainly not the power driver of Germany for the difficulties with Greece or the crisis of refugees from Syria, but somehow you can readily lay blame at the UK for nearly all of its actions towards those issues, it just seems you default position.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Sensationalist BS however you appear to believe that sincerely. Why don't you move to the home of the EU? Crass statement.

As I say, it was a quote. It has a ring of truth though - coming as it did from one of very few party leaders to have behaved with dignity and honour in decades. You obviously believe the predictions of a painless new dawn brought to you by our free-tradin', tax-reducin', asset-floggin' heirs to the Queen of South Kesteven though so good luck to you.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You have a strange relationship with your home country, you sit in the centre of Europe, hardly offer any comment on the basket case economies of the EU and its associated issues including the immigration crisis that grips the continent, whilst casually dismissing UK's 5th position in the worlds economies, there is nothing particularly unique about the UK's interest rates or our policies towards QE nor should it invalidate our standing, you seem to nearly yearn for the UK to fail at almost anything.

To be fair any of HT's post that predict UK failing seem firmly tongue in cheek.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

That's like me saying my Skoda is better than a Porsche. It's bigger after all.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Without trolling your posts, I cannot recall you ever laying any blame at the EU, certainly not the power driver of Germany for the difficulties with Greece or the crisis of refugees from Syria, but somehow you can readily lay blame at the UK for nearly all of its actions towards those issues, it just seems you default position.

As I recall (in previous debate with HT) it was apparently all Greece's fault and the Greek people willingly voted for enforced austerity, mass (50%) youth unemployment, poverty/suicide rates rocketing, huge contraction in the economy etc etc

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As I recall it was all Greece's fault and the Greek people willingly voted for enforced austerity, mass (50%) youth unemployment, poverty/suicide rates rocketing, huge contraction in the economy etc etc

I think you will find that our very good friends at Lehman Brothers did their best in the Greek tragedy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Largest" is a reference to the size, GDP, of the economy. This isn't a measure of strength is it? Big doesn't necessarily mean strong. For example if you start applying the size (GDP) to factors like capita the UK drops away quickly ie having the 5th largest economy doesn't mean as much if you have 60m people to service.
I think in the context of what BigGully was trying to say, 5th largest and 5th strongest are interchangeable.

That said, I think people trotting out the fact that we have the 5th largest/strongest economy as proof that we will be well equipped to deal with Brexit are mistaken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

If you look at the top 15 largest economies in that list, how many of them aren't members of Nafta or the EU? China's is bigger than ours Japan's is bigger than ours, India's is poised to overtake us. That leaves Brazil, South Korea and Australia in the list of top 15 industrialised nations that are probably in a weaker trading position than ourselves.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
yesturday ECB's Draghi spoke of redistribution of wealth across the Eurozone, today the EU's president Juncker called for a central EU military headquarters and military hardware purchasing. i wonder how many remainers support steps towards a european state?

Makes sense to me, well a Federation of states does. I do not get what is so scary about it for you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I recall (in previous debate with HT) it was apparently all Greece's fault and the Greek people willingly voted for enforced austerity, mass (50%) youth unemployment, poverty/suicide rates rocketing, huge contraction in the economy etc etc

Thanks. See [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] I have posted comment about wider Europe and specially the "basket cases" you suggested. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Juncker also mentioned racist attacks since Brexit even sighting the murder in Essex and quite rightly that is disgusting,bit odd though that we never hear of what is going on in other EU countries from the asaid person.
Since things are obviously much better in Germany...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Juncker also mentioned racist attacks since Brexit even sighting the murder in Essex and quite rightly that is disgusting,bit odd though that we never hear of what is going on in other EU countries from the asaid person.

I didn't realise that Juncker was in Essex on the night in question. The worst of the migrant-bashing newspapers is surely the Express, which for day after day through the referendum campaign, and since, has run with inflammatory front page headlines. The editor could say, and probably does, that his newspaper has never suggested that English people attack foreigners. He's right, but he does stand guilty of helping create an atmosphere in which the dogs run wild. Other newspapers, including the unpleasant Paul Dacre's Daily Mail, aren't far behind.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Maybe he should see the statistics where eastern europen migrants clog up our prison system with thousands of murderous, rapists and violent burglars. We've 17,000 eastern European migrants in our prison syetem and 99% are against British citizens but you'll never see that on Skynews or BBC as it doesn't fit their agenda.

I would like to see those stats, and the source, I wonder what the agenda was of whoever told you that?
As far as I can find out there are about 4500 EU nationals total in UK prisons, which if you take the demographics into consideration is about what you would expect.
If the prisons getting clogged up concerns you, ask the Forces to do a better job of preparing their lads for civilian life, 10% of prisoners are ex forces.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
As I say, it was a quote. It has a ring of truth though - coming as it did from one of very few party leaders to have behaved with dignity and honour in decades. You obviously believe the predictions of a painless new dawn brought to you by our free-tradin', tax-reducin', asset-floggin' heirs to the Queen of South Kesteven though so good luck to you.

Wow! I do not think this brexit will be painless. I do not think it will be quick. I do not think it's the promised land or the new Nirvanha. However I do believe in self control, determination and our own laws. The alternative? well I do not need to extrapolate on that load of trash in the EU commission. I am happy, contented and sure that we have hurt the EU with our decision. Win win, whether I am a political or royalist sycophant or not. That is irrelevant. The EU and it's ideals are buggered. It may take another 5yrs but the ideology will be irrelevant eventually. I am happy in the morning, are you? Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here