Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor at it again

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was in the 50s.. and a civvy docker is a docker in either civil or military ports... I have seen it in several aticles I cant recall where.

I don't doubt that you have - I've read it lots of times too. Its just that all of the people I know, who support either club, deny there is anything in it. In fact their (football) rivalry really isn't all that old - much like ours it didn't really fire until the late 70s / 80's (when football naughtiness became a 'thing'). To try to base it on 1930s (or 1950s) industrial action just doesn't stack up.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I don't doubt that you have - I've read it lots of times too. Its just that all of the people I know, who support either club, deny there is anything in it. In fact their (football) rivalry really isn't all that old - much like ours it didn't really fire until the late 70s / 80's (when football naughtiness became a 'thing'). To try to base it on 1930s (or 1950s) industrial action just doesn't stack up.
The source of the main issue between the two cities, was the 1890 strike.... that was serious... whether that history was carried forward over generations with accumulated issues between them..who knows.... but I would guess that a combination and the 19 mile proximity would do it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

And it is amazing how quickly the Palace rivalry took off. I went to Selhurst Park for the Palace v Brighton fixture in the 75/76 season. It was a midweek game, quite early (it might even have been our first one). Brighton won 1-0 and when we scored whilst it’s an exaggeration to say you could hear a pin drop there were only a relative handful of Brighton fans there. I was sitting with in with the Palace fans (with my Palace-supporting Dad), cheering for Brighton and no one batted an eyelid. And after the game there were no road closures and no huge police presence to keep the vast hordes of passionate rival fans apart. Neither club gave a toss, it was just a bog-standard local-ish match. Fast-forward to the corresponding fixture the following season and the difference was incredible.
Was this the game when it snowed heavily and the trains were buggered. I remember getting to the ground half an hour or so after kick-off and sat in the seats (terracing turnstiles were closed when I got there) while my brother didn't even make it when the train he was on got stuck in the snow coming from Dover.

Last edited:

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
The 1-0 win that season was in August at home and at Palace in March.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Yeah, that or some reference to 1972. (Stoke's only major trophy).

Or something.

He's from Woodingdean.

IMHO, that only confirms my opinion of him as a ****. A "plastic" Stoke fan, probably doesn't know who their local rivals are.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Broadly speaking you’re correct. Prior to Palace in 1976 the general overall consensus was that Brighton didn’t have a real rival, clubs would come onto the radar and then drop off again. When we discussed it in the school playground, rather like this thread there was never any agreement. In our school Bournemouth and Fulham were the two names that cropped up the most with Portsmouth being a very distant third. In my youth the Bournemouth ‘thing’ seemed to be the biggest, but compared to Palace it was tinpot and it had fizzled out long before 1976.

And it is amazing how quickly the Palace rivalry took off. I went to Selhurst Park for the Palace v Brighton fixture in the 75/76 season. It was a midweek game, quite early (it might even have been our first one). Brighton won 1-0 and when we scored whilst it’s an exaggeration to say you could hear a pin drop there were only a relative handful of Brighton fans there. I was sitting with in with the Palace fans (with my Palace-supporting Dad), cheering for Brighton and no one batted an eyelid. And after the game there were no road closures and no huge police presence to keep the vast hordes of passionate rival fans apart. Neither club gave a toss, it was just a bog-standard local-ish match. Fast-forward to the corresponding fixture the following season and the difference was incredible.

Spot on. 1969-1976, when I went to see us, we had no rivals. Frankly, were were not sufficiently important to have any. FACT.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Andy Naylor is a 'local'.

He is apparently an example of someone who has disregared (I nearly typed 'pissed on') his heritage in pursuit of false and foreign baubles. The ****. :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some of the stuff on this thread is straight out of Compton. Sorry, I mean Narnia.

Moving on, our main rivals today are Newcastle, Reading and Leeds. And **** them all!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Was this the game when it snowed heavily and the trains were buggered. I remember getting to the ground half an hour or so after kick-off and sat in the seats (terracing turnstiles were closed when I got there) while my brother didn't even make it when the train he was on got stuck in the snow coming from Dover.

The 1-0 win that season was in August at home and at Palace in March.
No, it was September 23 1975 in the 75/76 season, so no snow!. You're thinking of the 74/75 season when we beat Palace 1-0 at home in August 74 and lost 3-0 away in March 75. (I've just looked it all up!)

Incidentally having looked it up I see that the infamous series of FA Cup games, culminating in the 'Challis of the Palace' affair at Stamford Bridge occurred in November 1976, which is why I saw such a marked difference between Palace away in 75/76 and Palace away in 76/77.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Naylor is a tw@t... it is NOT a manufactured rivalry... he shows a distinct lack of understanding of the history of our club...

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It was in the 50s.. and a civvy docker is a docker in either civil or military ports... I have seen it in several aticles I cant recall where.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
No mate , what youve seen is several articles peddling the same bullsh1t by sub editors to make a story more interesting, portsmouth werent even founded till 10 years after the strike ended.

Last edited:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Not really. Most older Albion fans also say the rivalry with Palace is a manufactured one. I've certainly never been fussed about their results

As BG points out, the real rivalry is with Portsmouth #twats

No the real rivalry was the animosity between Terry Venables and Alan Mullery which went back to their time together at Spurs in the mid- to late-1960's. Venables being the "wide boy" from Chelsea, and Mullers being the Johnny Haynes disciple at Fulham.

Haynes played his football by the book, Venables played HIS by the bookie...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
No, it was September 23 1975 in the 75/76 season, so no snow!. You're thinking of the 74/75 season when we beat Palace 1-0 at home in August 74 and lost 3-0 away in March 75. (I've just looked it all up!)

Incidentally having looked it up I see that the infamous series of FA Cup games, culminating in the 'Challis of the Palace' affair at Stamford Bridge occurred in November 1976, which is why I saw such a marked difference between Palace away in 75/76 and Palace away in 76/77.

Venables didn't manage Palace until late 1976 I think. Allison was still manager when we got to the Cup Semi-Final that year.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
He is apparently an example of someone who has disregared (I nearly typed 'pissed on') his heritage in pursuit of false and foreign baubles. The ****. :facepalm:

I don't think anyone supports Stoke City in pursuit of false and foreign baubles.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
178 posts later...I reckon Naylors doing his job quite well going by the volume of debate created on here! The lads doth protest too much?! :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
178 posts later...I reckon Naylors doing his job quite well going by the volume of debate created on here! The lads doth protest too much?! :)
So by that logic, Brighton fans think that Mike Dean also does a good job.

I think you might need to have another think on why he's generated so much interest.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well it depends on what you mean by 'doing his job' If his job is to be a sort-of souped up version of 'hove born and bred' and start debates on NSC then yes, he's done his job. If however his job his to make sure his newspaper articles have at least a nodding relationship with the truth then this thread is proof that he ISN'T doing it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

So by that logic, Brighton fans think that Mike Dean also does a good job.

I think you might need to have another think on why he's generated so much interest.

Well it depends on what you mean by 'doing his job' If his job is to be a sort-of souped up version of 'hove born and bred' and start debates on NSC then yes, he's done his job. If however his job his to make sure his newspaper articles have at least a nodding relationship with the truth then this thread is proof that he ISN'T doing it.

I think he (@portlock seagull , rather than Naylor) has a point. Naylor's job IS simply to sell papers / generate clicks on the Argus website. Thus, stirring up interest IS understandable, and despite what many suggest, he really doesn't do MUCH trolling.

The MiKe Dean comparison isn't fair - Naylor's role should include an element of attention-seeking, whilst Dean just thinks that his should.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here