Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The leader of The Scottish Anyone but England Party is beginning to look rattled. Her hand is no longer stuffed with ace's. Beads of sweat could soon start to glisten her brow whilst attempting double and tripple bluffs.

"Leader of The Scottish Anyone but England Party".........love it!

Lived in Scotland just long enough to know that that is exactly what the SNP is all about. And that's about as far as they get, really. Apart from thinking that the oil taken out of the North Sea by various multi-national companies is somehow 'their' oil. Best o' luck with that one, wee Krankie! Not that's there's much left, apparently.........

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
eh
when did i do that?
I cant imagine i seriously suggested we should not be allowed to move freely about our own country.
if i did it was either a huge drunk typo or a huge drunk typo

It was a while ago, bit of a difficult task to find old posts on this thread, but it was not a direct suggestion that you made, but rather a response to a question that implied it firmly.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That would be playing stone, paper, scissors. No. Won't happen. A potential deal (agreed by the EU) will be put on the table. Sadly, there are still some who believe that a 'No' vote will mean we just cuddle up back in the EU as before........
That's not going to happen.

Parliament may decide to throw it back to the people, quite likely I think. If the EU were agreeable, it would make sense to ask the question of whether to reject and remain as one of 3 options. Reject the deal and leave anyway, reject and remain, or accept. I am sure the clever chaps at the electoral commission could find a way to hold a fair 3 way referendum, that gives weight to peoples preferred alternative if their first choice option is not backed by enough other citizens to make it actionable.
I think that as Parliament is largely against leaving, but are not really able to block it without risking a back lash from you leave nutters, they are likely to put it to us and will want to include the option to remain, if it is possible. The possibility of that option would be down to the members of the EU, but I think they would be agreeable given the disruption and difficulties Brexit will cause for them.

This is my opinion, I know yours differs, but can we agree that it is a possibility, for you a slim one, for me a bit closer to 50/50?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As long as you are happy to pay higher shop prices, fine, and are also happy to see crops rotting in the fields if they are not picked.

How can you possibly offer unqualified and unskilled migration from within the EU to the UK as either viable or desirable.

To cite the farmer who you suggest could either not survive or us the UK consumer should subsidise his own business by duly buying his products at a higher price really is the race to the bottom.

Why not go one step further by scooping up a few 1000 poor Africans and get them over working harder for less than their current eastern europeans counterparts, whilst the farmer enjoys subsidised profits and restricts use of UK labour so that you and I can buy our asparagus 20p cheaper.

No thanks.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
As long as you are happy to pay higher shop prices, fine, and are also happy to see crops rotting in the fields if they are not picked.

So do you support the undermining of a decent living wage. Unbelievable. This is where the race to the bottom starts. People like him using it to maximise profit and to put into simple terms use slave labour

D

Deleted member 22389

HSBC has announced 1000 jobs moving to Paris taking 5% of their turnover

2015/2016 tax year the UKs banks provided 25% of the U.Ks disposable income

Just imagine that all the UKs banks follow the lead of HSBC and take 5% of the tax out of our system

I don't care, fing banks. They are one of the big reasons everything went to pot in the first place. Not hard to forget the hundreds of people trying to get their money out Northern Rock.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How can you possibly offer unqualified and unskilled migration from within the EU to the UK as either viable or desirable.

To cite the farmer who you suggest could either not survive or us the UK consumer should subsidise his own business by duly buying his products at a higher price really is the race to the bottom.

Why not go one step further by scooping up a few 1000 poor Africans and get them over working harder for less than their current eastern europeans counterparts, whilst the farmer enjoys subsidised profits and restricts use of UK labour so that you and I can buy our asparagus 20p cheaper.

No thanks.

So do you support the undermining of a decent living wage. Unbelievable. This is where the race to the bottom starts. People like him using it to maximise profit and to put into simple terms use slave labour

As long as you are both happy with higher prices then all is OK.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

What I should of added to the original post was that said owner used to employ locals at the going rate. However when the migrant influx started he employed them and dropped the wages . So making more profit. He is now complaining because the migrants are now going home to better paid jobs. Meaning he now has to pay the going rate again.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
HSBC has announced 1000 jobs moving to Paris taking 5% of their turnover

2015/2016 tax year the UKs banks provided 25% of the U.Ks disposable income

Just imagine that all the UKs banks follow the lead of HSBC and take 5% of the tax out of our system

I suspect just as prior and during the referendum debate this is more a political gesture rather than a business decision, if you recall most big business served up political posturing up until the leave vote and generally carried on with business decisions thereafter which saw our economy remain positive.

All big business cozys up to political big hitters both here and within the EU, I have no doubt that the EU would prefer a business lead punitive actions agianst the UK rather than a political one, so more pressure would come to bear on some wavering corporate big business.

That is why I particularly liked Hammonds ineterjection last week saying that if the EU wishes to be punitive then we will similarly become tax competitive to fill any void.

HSBC can squirt out a thousand jobs to curry favour with a couple of EU beaurocrats, but just think of the many global non EU financial services that would willingly take on a favourably priced lease on a swanky office block in the heart of the globally acclaimed City of London.

The UK will remain more flexible and just as effectively retalitory if necessary.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

That's the crux of it.

To some people independence is so important they'd rather go through financial hardship to get it back.

The majority couldn't give a toss about independence but have to suffer when they won't feel any benefits of it at all. They'll just be poorer and more insular.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That's the crux of it.

To some people independence is so important they'd rather go through financial hardship to get it back.

The majority couldn't give a toss about independence but have to suffer when they won't feel any benefits of it at all. They'll just be poorer and more insular.
But the low prices has been achieved at the expense of extremely low wages paid to migrant workers and often under appalling contracts. Surely you can't be happy with that?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
That's the crux of it.

Independence is like working for yourself, you make your own decisions etc. Many would like to work for themselves, complain about bosses making the money etc, but will not take the plunge, bit like those that support the EU. So some are happy to rely on 27 other nations, happy to have a powerful (atm) country rule the roost.....some want to get their independence back.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
But the low prices has been achieved at the expense of extremely low wages paid to migrant workers and often under appalling contracts. Surely you can't be happy with that?

Brexit or no Brexit you will need migrant labour to do season agricutural work, there are areas of the country where you can't gert local people to do it. Not everyone wants to work in polytunnels for 60 hours a week for 6 months a year, its good money but you have to work hard

Its the same situation is most parts of the developed world. I was in Taiwan recently, they use imported Phillipino labour

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Brexit or no Brexit you will need migrant labour to do season agricutural work, there are areas of the country where you can't gert local people to do it. Not everyone wants to work in polytunnels for 60 hours a week for 6 months a year, its good money but you have to work hard

Its the same situation is most parts of the developed world. I was in Taiwan recently, they use imported Phillipino labour
But it's not good money. That's the point.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's the crux of it.

No - Your 'majority [who] couldn't give a toss about independence but have to suffer' are actually the minority. The MAJORITY won the referendum to get independence.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I don't care, fing banks. They are one of the big reasons everything went to pot in the first place. Not hard to forget the hundreds of people trying to get their money out Northern Rock.

You might care as it would account for £3.5 billion in uncollected taxes in anyone given year which equates to the amount of money being spent on Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliment money which will now be found in other ways

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here