Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding fans who have passed away

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well considering his mate is 16 (The person who posted the email reply) i'd guess around 16-17. I'm 19 and I think it's pointless! We're not all the same

Generally...You appear not to be the norm I.e you're 'normal'!!! :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
To be fair, I don't think this is a generation snowflake thing. Anyone can lose a sense of perspective when they're grieving. And anyone can feel that, when they've lost someone, they want to 'do' something to make it better.

To be fair, it must be stupid people only then. When I grieve I don't think hey, let's contact the football golf, tennis, social etc clubs and ask thousands of random people to join in my grief publically. I also realised this during primary school (before everyone jumps in saying this lad was only 16...and they want the vote, god give me strength...) when a collection of relatives died and life carried on without schools coming to a standstill, town criers calling for silence, all night vigils, roadside tributes being laid, campanogosts called up etc etc just because e.g. MY cat had died (which is where this is heading)!!! :angry::shit::shootself

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Err who are you claiming is the greatest generation? I agree they are being self indulgent but the rest of the vitriol seems a little unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you don't know WHO the greatest generation are then you must be SNOWFLAKE-SHEEP ???

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, it must be stupid people only then. When I grieve I don't think hey, let's contact the football golf, tennis, social etc clubs and ask thousands of random people to join in my grief publically. I also realised this during primary school (before everyone jumps in saying this lad was only 16...and they want the vote, god give me strength...) when a collection of relatives died and life carried on without schools coming to a standstill, town criers calling for silence, all night vigils, roadside tributes being laid, campanogosts called up etc etc just because e.g. MY cat had died (which is where this is heading)!!! :angry::shit::shootself

What a great post. As someone mentioned earlier, Diana's to blame. Before her death the British "stiff upper lip" was in rude health, but then suddenly thousands of people decided to grieve for a rather silly lady they didn't even know.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What a great post. As someone mentioned earlier, Diana's to blame. Before her death the British "stiff upper lip" was in rude health, but then suddenly thousands of people decided to grieve for a rather silly lady they didn't even know.

Hardly Diana's fault.....she was, er, dead. It was Tony B Liar that fuelled the outpouring.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
On my demise, I'd settle for Withdean Board Man coming out of retirement and parading round the Amex pitch at half-time with a board depicting my likeness while all the while being harangued to Get The Board Down.

My ashes would of course be loaded into a suitably fat firework and exploded over the North Stand by Withdean Rocketman to the dismay of all present.

Ow this is tooooo good! GET THAT BOARD DOWN, can't see a bloody thing! I miss those days. Always made me chuckle...if I were chairman, I'd bring him back. Pay an employee to walk round with the raffle numbers and take good natured 'abuse' from generations of fans :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Ow this is tooooo good! GET THAT BOARD DOWN, can't see a bloody thing! I miss those days. Always made me chuckle...if I were chairman, I'd bring him back. Pay an employee to walk round with the raffle numbers and take good natured 'abuse' from generations of fans :)
"GET THAT BOARD DOWN...!!" was a good joke at Withdean.

At The Goldstone there had been some logic to people near the front of the terraces shouting out as their view of the pitch was obstructed. To carry on the tradition when seated in the Sputh Stand at Withdean was good work ...

Lush

Mods' Pet

Yes. Or you might build the Taj Mahal.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yes. Or you might build the Taj Mahal.

Impossible to get Planning these days.

Had Mumtaz Mahal died in recent times she'd have been lucky to get a single storey extension with external access and a dormer window in her memory.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
When I die I'd like to be fired from a cannon on the halfway line into one of the goals as part of the halftime entertainment.

As it's unlikely that I'll ever get round to writing up a formal will, would any attorneys please accept this post as my final wishes.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Really? My first memory of a public outpouring of grief and an apparent desire to create a memorial was probably Hillsborough. Started out as a few flowers left at the gates of Anfield and then the whole of the Kop. Doubt anyone orchestrated it, was just spontaneous and then more and more people joined in. As for Diana, you might not have liked her but whilst we never all met her, she was hardly, thanks to the British press, someone we didn't know.

And why can't you grieve for someone you've never met? It's not the same level as family and close friends but you can still feel a sense of loss. Example could be when David Bowie died or other famous people that you may have a connection with through you life.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Absolutely this. The clue is that they requested about their 'grandad', suggesting they're a 20 something tops. The trouble is, there's now an entire generation that believes it's 'the norm' to do this. No it F UCKIN ISNT! It's just further 'generation snowflake' me me me narcassism which 'generation sheep' (their other alias) blindly and without pause for thought, think. It's truly not their fault when raised to think it's normal. But it's got to stop as have the paddies they throw when they don't get their way.

The sooner we get our centuries old sensible, stuff upper lip back the better. But Christ it's an endangered species in this country right now. It's a joke we've exploited 'keep calm and carry on' as a marketing phenomena when all the evidence is to the contrary. Not. Even. Fit. To. Clean. The. Shoes. Of. The. Greatest. Generation!

This with knobs on.
I don't grieve in public, to me grief is a private thing. I also wouldn't cry in public, not that I cry much anyway.
I heard a women on the radio the other day, describing herself as a survivor of being childless, she had, had children, but not until her thirties.
For Christ's sake, it's all gone a bit far now, please, can we get back to a stiff upper lip, and stop emotting (whatever that is), all over the place, and yes, that includes some on here shedding tears for Knockys Dad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When I die, I don't expect people to stop enjoying their afternoon watching the Albion to applaud me. I won't be round to be offended...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Really? My first memory of a public outpouring of grief and an apparent desire to create a memorial was probably Hillsborough. Started out as a few flowers left at the gates of Anfield and then the whole of the Kop. Doubt anyone orchestrated it, was just spontaneous and then more and more people joined in. As for Diana, you might not have liked her but whilst we never all met her, she was hardly, thanks to the British press, someone we didn't know.

And why can't you grieve for someone you've never met? It's not the same level as family and close friends but you can still feel a sense of loss. Example could be when David Bowie died or other famous people that you may have a connection with through you life.

My first real memory of a nations outpouring if grief was winston Churchill's funeral. I was 8 at the time and distinctly remember getting very upset as everyone was around our house in Wakefield listening to the radio. First time I ever saw my grandfather cry...really affected me.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This with knobs on.
I don't grieve in public, to me grief is a private thing. I also wouldn't cry in public, not that I cry much anyway.
I heard a women on the radio the other day, describing herself as a survivor of being childless, she had, had children, but not until her thirties.
For Christ's sake, it's all gone a bit far now, please, can we get back to a stiff upper lip, and stop emotting (whatever that is), all over the place, and yes, that includes some on here shedding tears for Knockys Dad.

Glad someone else has picked up on this 'survivor' nonsense too. Until recently it meant you'd be in Auchwitz or Belsen. And that was about it. Now, as you say, all sorts of weirdos are banding it about when their lives weren't remotely on the line let alone even traumatic in many instances. It's just me me me, narcassism again: how can I get maximum attention blah blah blah! I sometimes think it's because people's vocabulary is so poor, maybe they think there aren't other words for e.g. Being chased for payment, being told off at school, not getting into university, being pickpocketed!!! You are NOT A SURVIVOR, this s hit has and will always go on daily. Lord give me strength, for there are more gormless than there are not these days...! :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My first real memory of a nations outpouring if grief was winston Churchill's funeral. I was 8 at the time and distinctly remember getting very upset as everyone was around our house in Wakefield listening to the radio. First time I ever saw my grandfather cry...really affected me.
About THE only occasion in living memory this island should and did openly grieve. Diana...? PAH!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
About THE only occasion in living memory this island should and did openly grieve. Diana...? PAH!

i was on holiday when she died (fortunately), think I got back day of the funeral, thought something really really bad had happened, like a massacre. What stuck in my mind was before I went away politicians were slagging her off for getting involved in land mines etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here