Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding fans who have passed away

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I really like the previously suggested idea of a single fixture designated as a memorial game. Preferably the last game of the calendar year so that the club and fans can remember those passed during the year. A moment of reflection either prior to the game or at halftime would be fitting I think.

I think the club's repsonse to the current request is entirely appropriate.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Knowing they love nothing more than trawling NSC, I'd like to officially side with the club on this one.

A perfectly civil and correct response from PB.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I really like the previously suggested idea of a single fixture designated as a memorial game. Preferably the last game of the calendar year so that the club and fans can remember those passed during the year. A moment of reflection either prior to the game or at halftime would be fitting I think.

I think the club's repsonse to the current request is entirely appropriate.

That's what we do already isn't it?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I though the club already did a memorial type thing on the big screens before the last home game of the season with black and white pictures of fans who've passed. That's a perfectly nice way to remember all those we've lost along the way in one dignified moment.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I though the club already did a memorial type thing on the big screens before the last home game of the season with black and white pictures of fans who've passed. That's a perfectly nice way to remember all those we've lost along the way in one dignified moment.
Problem solved.

No more rounds of applause during games, unless an ex-player etc. / specific circumstances.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Opening with the SPLENDID picture from the Swindon game in 2002

#RIPinadvance

When you shuffle off, I'm looking forward to a lovely montage of all your HINEYART pictures appearing on the jumbotrons.

Now that I would stand up and applaud.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm demanding the game is postponed when I go. It's the only proper way for thousands of strangers to pay their respect to me as a Hereford 'survivor', and when the game is replayed I demand players wear black armbands too and my picture is on the front page of the programme with a giant stand mosaic of my face held aloft by fans in the West Stand. Who wants a stupid few lines in the programme when, hopefully by then(!), this is the way it's going and will be entirely reasonable / the club dare not refuse as people love to show their 'grief' publically, en masse and incompetition to see, ironically, who is the saddest!!

Oi, BARBER...GET A FECKING GRIP OF THIS STUPIDITY!!! :censored:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

And I take it no one else remembers the little telly for player of the season.
I do! I remember Mark Lawrenson coming on (with a broken arm) to pick it up in 1979!

And yeah, back on topic I said on the Big Thread I was done with applauding people I didn't know and/or who meant nothing to me personally.

EDIT: And I've just seen the response from the club for this particular request.. Well done PB.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Knowing they love nothing more than trawling NSC, I'd like to officially side with the club on this one.

A perfectly civil and correct response from PB.

Absolutely this. The clue is that they requested about their 'grandad', suggesting they're a 20 something tops. The trouble is, there's now an entire generation that believes it's 'the norm' to do this. No it F UCKIN ISNT! It's just further 'generation snowflake' me me me narcassism which 'generation sheep' (their other alias) blindly and without pause for thought, think. It's truly not their fault when raised to think it's normal. But it's got to stop as have the paddies they throw when they don't get their way.

The sooner we get our centuries old sensible, stuff upper lip back the better. But Christ it's an endangered species in this country right now. It's a joke we've exploited 'keep calm and carry on' as a marketing phenomena when all the evidence is to the contrary. Not. Even. Fit. To. Clean. The. Shoes. Of. The. Greatest. Generation!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Unfortunately the club will appear like the bad guys if requests like this are refused.

They should sort out an annual game for this asap.
or people could grow some balls and stop being so narcissistic/sensitive when refused by the club (correctly) :)

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
My Granddad was Brighton through and through. He had a season ticket at the Goldstone, for every season at Priestfield & Withdean and despite him thinking he'd never see Falmer - he did. When he passed away the thought of contacting the club for a minutes applause or silence didn't even cross my mind. Out of the 20,000 people there how many would have known who he was? Me, my mum, my friends I go to football with all would. They'd be handfuls of people who'd recognise his face as they'd have sat next to him for 10 years at Withdean and the people he sat next to at The Amex. There may also be people who would recognise him from The Goldstone or Gillingham but not many, So, at a push, 30 people... Out of 20,000+.

Why would I want thousands of people who didn't know him clapping for him on a specific minute? The first home game I went to after he passed away was Newcastle in the FA Cup when we won 1-0. Before the game I had a coupe of glasses of his favourite whiskey and then laid some flowers in the small memorial garden at Falmer. My memorial to him is the fact I'm nearly as pessimistic as he always was. He'd be looking at the league table and worrying that we weren't mathematically safe, and I'm the same. We could be 4-0 up with 10 to go and I'll be fearing a complete collapse if the opponents win a corner.

For me, little things like that are a much better tribute than 20,000 strangers clapping his name because they were told too. :shrug:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My Granddad was Brighton through and through. He had a season ticket at the Goldstone, for every season at Priestfield & Withdean and despite him thinking he'd never see Falmer - he did. When he passed away the thought of contacting the club for a minutes applause or silence didn't even cross my mind. Out of the 20,000 people there how many would have known who he was? Me, my mum, my friends I go to football with all would. They'd be handfuls of people who'd recognise his face as they'd have sat next to him for 10 years at Withdean and the people he sat next to at The Amex. There may also be people who would recognise him from The Goldstone or Gillingham but not many, So, at a push, 30 people... Out of 20,000+.

Why would I want thousands of people who didn't know him clapping for him on a specific minute? The first home game I went to after he passed away was Newcastle in the FA Cup when we won 1-0. Before the game I had a coupe of glasses of his favourite whiskey and then laid some flowers in the small memorial garden at Falmer. My memorial to him is the fact I'm nearly as pessimistic as he always was. He'd be looking at the league table and worrying that we weren't mathematically safe, and I'm the same. We could be 4-0 up with 10 to go and I'll be fearing a complete collapse if the opponents win a corner.

For me, little things like that are a much better tribute than 20,000 strangers clapping his name because they were told too. :shrug:

Completely and utterly this. There are maybe 20 to 30 people who know me personally that go to football. If they want to do something private if I pop my clogs then fine, but I don't see the point of asking 25-30 thousand people who don't know me to clap just because I happened to support the same football team as them.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Absolutely this. The clue is that they requested about their 'grandad', suggesting they're a 20 something tops. The trouble is, there's now an entire generation that believes it's 'the norm' to do this. No it F UCKIN ISNT! It's just further 'generation snowflake' me me me narcassism which 'generation sheep' (their other alias) blindly and without pause for thought, think. It's truly not their fault when raised to think it's normal. But it's got to stop as have the paddies they throw when they don't get their way.

The sooner we get our centuries old sensible, stuff upper lip back the better. But Christ it's an endangered species in this country right now. It's a joke we've exploited 'keep calm and carry on' as a marketing phenomena when all the evidence is to the contrary. Not. Even. Fit. To. Clean. The. Shoes. Of. The. Greatest. Generation!

good post .... never thought I'd say that to you!
:thumbsup:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

To add a little context, it looks like that was posted by a friend of the lad who lost his grandad and his profile suggests he's only 16. I think a picture/note in the programme and then inclusion in the end of season montage (which they did last season) is a nice touch for the families and friends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here