Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's wrong with Wednesdays?

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
In Jan and Feb we will play every day of the week except Wednesday. In fact, we might go the whole season without a match on a Wednesday.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wednesday :lol:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
United are the biggest team in Sheffield....And they don't like it...That's what is wrong with them!

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I seem to recall in the days of the Goldstone, midweek games were always on a Wednesday with a 7:30pm kick-off.

I'm not sure why midweek games seemed to be moved en-bloc to Tuesdays at 7:45pm - maybe to do with TV?

I miss Wednesday football.....

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Nothing wrong at all, a MASSIVE day of the week for everyone and anyone:moo:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Used to prefer Wednesday to Tuesday night- nearer the weekend!

Ahh.. Wednesday. It's my favourite 'between Tuesday and Thursday type day of the week'.

I think the reason is that more office meetings are held on a Wednesday than any other day of the week (according to Some Bloke) and so the clubs know that it may be slightly harder for us to get to the game after a meeting. Since clubs and TV companies do everything in their power to schedule games on days and at times which we find most convenient, then their earnest desire not to inconvenience us will be the reason Shirley for a dearth of Wednesday games.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ipswich last season. Just after Christmas - Wednesday 29th December 2015. I think.

Edit: wrong. That was a Tuesday. :facepalm:

I keep thinking there must have been one but unless it was governed by the Christmas and new year timetables and I've forgotten it I don't think there has actually been a Wednesday night match at the Amex.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i reckon its changed to allow an extra day before the Saturday game. so the week goes from Saturday to Saturday, psychologically fitting better. with a Wednesday midweek game you get the extra day before the Wednesday.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ipswich early 2015 Hughtons first season, win 3-2 Tex was brilliant. Was definitely a Wednesday

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Correct. Two other league matches have been played at the Amex on a Wednesday: Bournemouth on Jan 1 2014 and Cardiff on March 7 2012.

The only other competitive fixture played on a Wednesday was the Carling Cup tie against Liverpool on September 21 2011.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Correct. Two other league matches have been played at the Amex on a Wednesday: Bournemouth on Jan 1 2014 and Cardiff on March 7 2012.

The only other competitive fixture played on a Wednesday was the Carling Cup tie against Liverpool on September 21 2011.

So only one league game on a Wednesday night assuming new years day was an afternoon kick-off, plus one cup game
..........and I was there for them all so shows how crap my memory is :lol:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think we played a few Wednesday games with 8pm kick offs during the first season at Withdean

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here