Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What made Alan Shearer such a successful forward?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'm going to be contrarian here.

Undoubtedly a very very good striker. But he tended to dominate the teams he played in and was very much a big fish in a small pond. He never played for a top club and turned down big money to go to Newcastle where he was king bee and won diddly squat - even jacking in his England career. His most successful years were playing alongside another top striker in Sutton at Blackburn. I also got the impression that he had a lot of influence at Newcastle and towards the end of his time there it seemed the club couldn't do anything without asking him first.

Don't get me wrong - great player. But based on the above, there are others I would say were better.......

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Undoubtedly a very very good striker. But he tended to dominate the teams he played in and was very much a big fish in a small pond. He never played for a top club and turned down big money to go to Newcastle where he was king bee and won diddly squat - even jacking in his England career. His most successful years were playing alongside another top striker in Sutton at Blackburn. I also got the impression that he had a lot of influence at Newcastle and towards the end of his time there it seemed the club couldn't do anything without asking him first.

Don't get me wrong - great player. But based on the above, there are others I would say were better.......

You can't leave it there!

Whom are you refering too?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
1) Smashed it low and hard
2) Always played with a strike partner, rather than on his own
3) worked the channels
4) Knew how to find space in the box
5) Upper body strength
6) But mostly just 1

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
You can't leave it there!

Whom are you refering too?

I would argue Cantona - odd personality but a fantastic all round team player who won stuff.

Owen - great goalscorer hampered by injury in later years but unstoppable at his best.

Ronaldo - for obvious reasons.

Zola - great all rounder who played very much with a team ethic.

Just my view.....awaits flaming!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Without being over-analytical, one of my daughters used to play football locally at junior level and they would occasionally get free tickets for Saints matches. All I could say was that there was always an extra buzz around when Saints got a corner and you knew Shearer was going to be waiting for it...... and an extra buzz just whenever he got the ball in a dangerous position. I think his strength belied his size.

And it was also an opportunity once or twice to see a couple of Matt le Tissier wonder-strikes.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not exceptional at anything but very very good at all of the attributes. Good in the air, held the ball up well, decent vision, great shot in both feet, strong, good positional play. Most players are exceptional at one or two of the attributes. Shearer could do all of them very well.

Anyone who does rate the guy is mad. He also choose to play for his hometown club and his team at the expense of winning trophies and probably more money. I think that is to his credit personally...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He had the right attitude he wanted to do do well at football and was only in the press for the right reason , football.

Interesting choice as to whether you would have him or Lineker in your team.

As regards Owen probably a better finisher than both but overall contribution not the same and had his head turned even before the injuries.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

"Never played for a top club"? At the time Blackburn Rovers WERE the top club, outbidding every other British club for players. There were a decent outfit. Similarly, Newcastle were as big as anyone else bar Man Utd when they acquired Shearer, and they really should have won the title in 1996.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
He had the right attitude he wanted to do do well at football and was only in the press for the right reason , football.

Interesting choice as to whether you would have him or Lineker in your team.

As regards Owen probably a better finisher than both but overall contribution not the same and had his head turned even before the injuries.

Owen was never a great finisher in comparison to Shearer or Fowler. What Owen had was a better first touch than his peers.

Still a phenomenal player in his day.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
I read somewhere that he just trained all the time, even when most people had packed up, he was out the shooting, running etc. All time well spent from what he achieved

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The thing that impressed me most about Owen was his composure, even as a teenager he dealt with pressure better then most seasoned pro's!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I think he's been the best all -round striker in the English game since Greaves - great in the air, strong, could score from distance, so consistent, great with Sutton, Sheringham, Ferdinand, good team player - he had the lot.

Agree he workde well off a target man. Nicky Forster was in the same mould.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
"Never played for a top club"? At the time Blackburn Rovers WERE the top club, outbidding every other British club for players. There were a decent outfit. Similarly, Newcastle were as big as anyone else bar Man Utd when they acquired Shearer, and they really should have won the title in 1996.

Just wondered has he every paired up as "SAS" with Sutton on the pundits bench?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Incredibly strong and powerful with an unbelievable shooting range. A real handful for defenders and the last England forward you could always bank on at international level. Could easily have gone to Manchester United but choose to go to his boyhood club and have a lot of respect for that decision. Also scored a hatful at every club he was at and internationally and if memory serves me correctly barely missed a penalty either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here