Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
And that, purely and simply, is utter bollocks if you'd taken the time to read even some of the arguments on here.

I have read all the arguments both on here and in the press. As far as I can see it is a political strike - well certainly it is from the RMT's point of view even though according to Lynch the president of the RMT "does not speak for the members" as he alleged in the TV debate the other night. Sounds like they need a new president then who DOES speak for the members.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The RMT are generally recognised as the more militant of the two and a throwback to the 70s. ASLEF are quite mild so if they are pissed off then its with valid reason.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen.

No drivers today could engineer anything on a train and we haven't had anyone stoke a fire on a regular service train for 50 years.
Shows us how out of date they are.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen.

No drivers today could engineer anything on a train and we haven't had anyone stoke a fire on a regular service train for 50 years.
Shows us how out of date they are.

Quite right. Argument won. I'll tell my colleagues to stand down.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quite right. Argument won. I'll tell my colleagues to stand down.

If you could. See if you can appeal to a common decency and respect for fellow man that seems to be as old fashioned and out of date as their full title.
Your refusal to consider even the slightest, most reasonable criticism of the Unions throughout this thread sums up on microcosm why nobody is supporting the unions (or the govt or Southern) on this.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
whatever the arguments and whoever wins them when the strikers decide to go back it will still be a shite service

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If you could. See if you can appeal to a common decency and respect for fellow man that seems to be as old fashioned and out of date as their full title.
Your refusal to consider even the slightest, most reasonable criticism of the Unions throughout this thread sums up on microcosm why nobody is supporting the unions (or the govt or Southern) on this.

If you've read my posts and my reasons for striking you will know that it's out of respect for passengers and their safety and security that we are striking. Disagree if you want but that's the truth. The unions are not beyond reproach at all but someone has to stand up and say, "this is wrong". And I'll leave you with this report highlighting just one of the reasons why a lot of people believe so strongly. http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/n...on-cold-dark-platform-for-two-hours-1-7766876

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
If you've read my posts and my reasons for striking you will know that it's out of respect for passengers and their safety and security that we are striking. Disagree if you want but that's the truth. The unions are not beyond reproach at all but someone has to stand up and say, "this is wrong". And I'll leave you with this report highlighting just one of the reasons why a lot of people believe so strongly. http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/n...on-cold-dark-platform-for-two-hours-1-7766876

Not sure why you bother with The Troll, you're just wasting your time

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Hahahaha! I've read it all now! Driver got out to say he was not trained to help her. Not trained to lift a piece of metal sheeting over to the door and give her a push up the ramp? He could have easily helped her but he's got a very good reason not to help hasn't he.
The driver is squarely at fault here. Dispicable to leave someone in a wheelchair on the platform for two hours just to point score.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Not sure why you bother with The Troll, you're just wasting your time

I agree with Ernest. That poster isn't interested in your explanations. Don't waste your time.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Genuine question - Are there any recorded incidents with current DOO services which are related to the health and safety of the public, I dont know myself but all I hear is retoric concerns for my safety and I am interested if these are based on experience or just a case of ifs, buts and maybe?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I agree with Ernest. That poster isn't interested in your explanations. Don't waste your time.

Nobody has to agree with my posts but I believe what I am writing so the troll accusations are just petty. Very easy to dismiss someone's argument by accusing them of trolling. Certainly easier than engaging. Fair play to DD, he at least offers up articles and opinion unlike Ernest who just likes to shout people down, or troll.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
This article highlights the crux of the dispute for me now. SASTA and the DfT want the ability to operate DOO with no 2nd staff member, to save money, curtail union power and continue to operate with insufficient staff numbers. This is one of the outcomes.

Surely equality legislation can be invoked to prevent this in 2017? Remember, this could be any of us as we grow older and less able.

Contrast this to the Falmer village bus stop debacle, where £1m+ was spent making access to the stop DDA compliant, and STILL no GoVia (B+H) buses stop there due to a sub-standard acceleration lane.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nobody has to agree with my posts but I believe what I am writing so the troll accusations are just petty. Very easy to dismiss someone's argument by accusing them of trolling. Certainly easier than engaging. Fair play to DD, he at least offers up articles and opinion unlike Ernest who just likes to shout people down, or troll.

Whatever.

Yoda

English & European
Genuine question - Are there any recorded incidents with current DOO services which are related to the health and safety of the public, I dont know myself but all I hear is retoric concerns for my safety and I am interested if these are based on experience or just a case of ifs, buts and maybe?

Yes, two recent ones (not Southern):
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/raib-report-032016-serious-accident-at-west-wickham-station
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/report-122016-passenger-accident-at-hayes-harlington-station

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
whatever the arguments and whoever wins them when the strikers decide to go back it will still be a shite service

Agree if they begrudgingly return...How about if they went back to work, wanting to work,wanting to help improve service, willing to work overtime...going that extra mile to help passengers !!!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Thanks - and post 5948 from the couple of days ago sheds a bit more light. Also, can't seem to link to it but if you Google RMT doo dossier you can download that. Of course there isn't suddenly going to be a plethora of deaths because drivers will just make as sure as they can that no one is trapped and won't move until it is 100% safe to do so. And doo dispatch is just one aspect of the dispute of course.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agree if they begrudgingly return...How about if they went back to work, wanting to work,wanting to help improve service, willing to work overtime...going that extra mile to help passengers !!!

Why should an essential service be funded / planned to be reliant on workers working above their contracted hours, though?

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012

As someone that has had my life turned upside down by having to move to London from the South Coast due to just everything with Southern and the strikes, who has no sympathy for any side anymore, even to me it would appear you're trolling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here