Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Looks like a PB at Tilgate Parkrun today, finally cracked 20 mins with 19.55....just waiting for the confirmation email! ��
Fantastic - well done. Nice way to end the year.

Nice easy run this morning ahead of Runuary - out every day of the month for at least 15 minutes. Also entered one of those virtual things for a bit of bling by running 100 miles in the month.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Looks like a PB at Tilgate Parkrun today, finally cracked 20 mins with 19.55....just waiting for the confirmation email! ��

Excellent, well done.
I was hoping for one last go at a sub 20 myself for the year. Unfortunately I have had a head cold for the last couple of days so I have failed to achieve it this year. I plan to have a go in the next couple of months.
Well done to you though, what have you got your sights on as your next goal?

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Fantastic, what a great way to finish the year.

I like the idea of a New Year's Day parkrun. Whether it seems like a good idea in the morning remains to be seen

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fantastic, what a great way to finish the year.

I like the idea of a New Year's Day parkrun. Whether it seems like a good idea in the morning remains to be seen

I've got to do a long run tomorrow. Just as well I counted last night as my New Years Eve drinks wise. The postponement and subsequent pub shenangins meant I could barely get out of bed this morning let alone run!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
22:13 at Preston Park felt very sluggish. Ankle felt ok though. Roll on Prom and Hove Park in the morning.

Thought it was today. Good I should get to one of them.

I've got to do a long run tomorrow. Just as well I counted last night as my New Years Eve drinks wise. The postponement and subsequent pub shenangins meant I could barely get out of bed this morning let alone run!

Same as me. Was drinking from 4pm with some Cardiff London 1927 supporters. When the game was postponed it would have been rude to not have had a skinful more. They had made the effort to come down, after all. Have to go through it all again now when they come down again. Early night tonight.....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Missed Park Run this morning as slept in, shame as conditions were perfect for running.

Instead I ran some hills this afternoon. Carden Ave to New England Hill all the way up to the Dyke and back for 10.08 miles which rounds me up for 747 miles for the year.

35 miles down on last year, due to constant hamstring tightness since late May.

Finger crossed it clears for next year but learning to live with it now.

Happy New Year to all and good luck for those doing the Park Run double tomorrow.

I intend to get back to Park Run before the MK Dons game and then prep for the Brighton Half and the Brighton Marathon 10k in April.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
1,586 miles for the year for me, well down on the 1,908 I did last year, two main injuries losing me about 4 months of running in total.

Managed a few marathons (less than the last 2-3 years) and also managed to nail my key race of the year at the SDW100 this time, although a bit slower than I wanted, missing out on a sub 24 hour finish by less than an hour due to having to really carefully control things during the day when it got too hot and humid and runners started dropping like flies.

2017 ? Hoping for a marathon PB and a sub-24 100 miles. Will all depend on whether anything breaks or falls off.....wondering whether 50+ is too late for all this !

Good luck to all the NSC running gang in 2017, been brilliant to share experiences in here this year. Best thread on the forum [emoji106][emoji106]

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
20:10 park run today. Nice way to start the new year and a decent marker for me try and improve on. Better than expected turn out all things considered. I finished 8th and 2nd in age group.
I didn't add my goals to this thread earlier but just hoping to improve my pb's with main focus going sub 3:30 for a marathon and running an ultra at some point. I have applied for the Rome marathon but not yet confirmed as they require a medical certificate from doctor to confirm I'm not going to drop dead in the process. It's only a week before BM so not too fussed if I don't get a place as BM place secured.

Happy new year to all NSC runners. Let's hope for some good running, new pb's and speedy recoveries.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
1,586 miles for the year for me, well down on the 1,908 I did last year, two main injuries losing me about 4 months of running in total.

Managed a few marathons (less than the last 2-3 years) and also managed to nail my key race of the year at the SDW100 this time, although a bit slower than I wanted, missing out on a sub 24 hour finish by less than an hour due to having to really carefully control things during the day when it got too hot and humid and runners started dropping like flies.

2017 ? Hoping for a marathon PB and a sub-24 100 miles. Will all depend on whether anything breaks or falls off.....wondering whether 50+ is too late for all this !

Good luck to all the NSC running gang in 2017, been brilliant to share experiences in here this year. Best thread on the forum [emoji106][emoji106]

That's a pretty damn impressive annual tally, especially in the circumstances and I totally echo your view of this thread. Not a great start to the running year 2017 for me.. Planned to do a double parkrun but had to abort after hamstring twinge at the end of the first run. This proved to me that I am a flat track bully - happy to run along the proms of Hove, Worthing and Southsea and the like, but not so good on the hard yards of cross country. Reigate Priory is a lovely park but muddy, up and down and generally unpleasant. Probably unwise, too, to have run yesterday.

So - a DNS, an injury and a personal worst (24:02) for me. But still a category win, so I'm looking on the bright side!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So here we are - 2017 then.

Goals - pretty much the same as the last two years: Just get out there and enjoy it. Oh, stay injury free too.

However, being a sucker for punishment, I want to see if I can run every single day of 2017. However, unlike my last injury-inducing run streak where I was doing 5+ miles a day in the end, the minimum run will be one mile. A single gentle mile, ideally on grass, should be OK, I hope.

I also might run with someone else for the first time ever at some point. I've seen a local group run up to Cissbury Ring one night a week, and donning a head torch for that appeals. I might also pop my Park Run cherry at some point.

First up will be a wet and splashy 2 miles to retrieve the car from where I abandoned it last night.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Aims for 2017 - purely to stay injury free.

I set every PB possible in 2016 from 1 mile to the marathon. Not expecting to achieve one this year but want to just enjoy my running. I've always run on my own but the possibility of a club or more social running appeals. And definitely more off road too.

Also looking to regain my Mince Pie crown in 11 months after losing it by one second!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Aims for 2017 - purely to stay injury free.

I set every PB possible in 2016 from 1 mile to the marathon. Not expecting to achieve one this year but want to just enjoy my running. I've always run on my own but the possibility of a club or more social running appeals. And definitely more off road too.

Also looking to regain my Mince Pie crown in 11 months after losing it by one second!

Ha ha, lovely stuff. I love a challenge. It's currently at the engravers....

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A slow 21 minute parkrun for me today in order to test my knee out, and it felt okay-ish so probably best not to push myself for a bit.

Think I may have already put my 2017 aims up. But sub-19 parkrun and sub-1:30 half marathon both look achievable.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
20:10 park run today. Nice way to start the new year and a decent marker for me try and improve on. Better than expected turn out all things considered. I finished 8th and 2nd in age group.
I didn't add my goals to this thread earlier but just hoping to improve my pb's with main focus going sub 3:30 for a marathon and running an ultra at some point. I have applied for the Rome marathon but not yet confirmed as they require a medical certificate from doctor to confirm I'm not going to drop dead in the process. It's only a week before BM so not too fussed if I don't get a place as BM place secured.

Happy new year to all NSC runners. Let's hope for some good running, new pb's and speedy recoveries.

20:10. Brilliant and thanks for not getting that in 2016!
I won't get anywhere near that till, hopefully, late summer, by which time you'll be well under 20:00. Be a good training incentive for me, chasing the impossible.

Two days drinking hangover Parkrun for me today. Took it easy in 26"+. Three runs done without problems on my road to recovery.. This week will begin training again with some 9-10 minute mile plods and try and get rid off the baby that appears to be growing in my stomach.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Double parkrun like many others today and pleased with consistency, 21:57 at Hove Prom and 22:03 at Hove Park, although have lost a little sharpness over last few weeks due to injury and inactivity. Adding in Preston Park yesterday, I finished between 60th and 63rd over three parkruns in two days which considering different courses and field sizes is a completely irrelevant statistic - but we runners love those :) .

2016 was a good year 1402km/871 miles over 144 runs cf.1142km/710miles 117 runs in 2015. PBs at 5km/10km/HM and Marathon although still can't reach the elusive Hove Park parkrun PB which has sat there stubbornly for more than two years now. Highlights were London Marathon and The 1066 Way to Battle. Lowlight was being ill most of August and September.

2017 - it looks like I'll need some surgery in February which will take me out for around two months so targets are clear for me - get fit again, Berlin Marathon in September and most of all enjoy my running again.

Happy New Year all fellow running threaders - thanks for all the great and inspiring stories on this thread, the fun meet ups at various events and especially those who supported me through my health issues this year.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Did the Serpentine 10k today and set a new PB at 51.04 (previously 52.10). Getting closer to me target for the year to dip under 50 minutes. It was a great event, a lovely route around Hyde Park, it was a bit cold but I soon warmed up!

https://www.strava.com/activities/817797384

So far I have signed up for three marathons for 2017, 19th March Limassol, 9th April Brighton and 16th December at Samphire Hoe which is a 6 hour event, but doing a marathon distance (I hope!) along with a few others to celebrate a mate hopefully reaching 100 marathons. My target for 2017 is to come home in under 4 hours 30 minutes.

15823017_10155617114882814_6630480336716426372_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here