Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The time is coming for a breakaway super league I think.
Just look at the gulf between the top and bottom of the table.
The top 6 will always be the usual suspects and a lesser team winning the league will happen once every hundred years or so.
The top 4 from all the major Eropean leagues should form a super league and save us from having to witness games set up like this.
With the pressure reduced we would be able to watch more competitive games home and away.
The season consists of 38 games, 12 of which we effectively conceded.
I would sacrafice playing Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea to see better quality games.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Locadia had been given a proper chance I’d quite possibly completely agree and be calling for him to be dropped for good. But I just don’t think games away to the top six or out of position constitute a proper chance. I think I’m right in saying he hasn’t started a single game against a bottom 14 team as a central striker since we signed him?

The list of reasons why Locadia hasn’t impressed yet continues to grow!

Next he’ll start against a bottom 14 side away, but he’ll need a home game as it will suit him better.

Then we’ll have a home game and the formation won’t suit him.

*add additional reasons as required

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The top 6 will always be the usual suspects and a lesser team winning the league will happen once every hundred years or so.
The top 4 from all the major Eropean leagues should form a super league and save us from having to witness games set up like this.
With the pressure reduced we would be able to watch more competitive games home and away.
I would sacrafice playing Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea to see better quality games.

I wouldn’t sacrifice ManUtd and a guaranteed 3 points each season!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Unless you make it a closed shop you'd effectively just create another Premier League. And who would you put in it? Leicester have won the league more recently than Spurs or Arsenal and I can remember, pre oil money, when Man City were a League One team. Plus ALL the television money would follow the breakaway. I agree, it would be far more competitive to watch but so would us dropping down in to the Championship.

The financial long term plan and the facilitties that we've created at the Albion are for the Premier League and nothing else, but I have made a few "careful what you wish for" posts in the past and so have a lot of others. The long term will mostly consist of a relegation fight and trying to pick off the teams around us whilst just surviving and having to savour the odd away win. That's our realistic world, footballing wise and financially. The exception is, of course, contained in my first paragraph where Leicester won the whole thing and that's not just me saying it, at the time Telegraph sports writer Paul Hayward said exactly that if Leicester could do it, so could we. But realistically it will take an almost unrepeatable set of circumstances where all of the big teams find themselves in transition and inconsistent, while we pick up a few miracle bargains like Mahrez. Who, of course, hasn't stayed with little Leicester, opting to be a sub for City and getting around twenty minutes football yesterday.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Citeh are on a different planet to us, do we have a back 4 that cost more than our Stadium ?

We simply cannot compete against teams like this there is a massive gap so 2-0 loss away from home to me was a good result

Glad we didn't have that attitude when we went to Liverpool in 83 when they were the best team in the world!

I don't buy this....they cost so much so we must roll over bullshit. We are in the premier on merit, not fluke.

Hughton seems to think that the team that got us to stay in the prem is his first choice. I fail to see the point in buying all these players if he isn't going to play them.

People are happy to just hang on and not go down...well not me. .I expect us to go out and have a go at these teams...ok so if we all think we are going to get stuffed, well that may be, but if the only reason we are in the prem is to battle to stay in it, then woopie do

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
People are happy to just hang on and not go down...well not me. .I expect us to go out and have a go at these teams...ok so if we all think we are going to get stuffed, well that may be, but if the only reason we are in the prem is to battle to stay in it, then woopie do

That is exactly what this is about staying up and trying to build a better team gradually. There are fine examples of teams who thought they knew better and ended up relegated and some of these were driven by fans dissatisfaction of manager and style of play.

Time will tell whether we go down that route, Liverpool '83 is no comparison that was a Cup game.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That is exactly what this is about staying up and trying to build a better team gradually. There are fine examples of teams who thought they knew better and ended up relegated and some of these were driven by fans dissatisfaction of manager and style of play.

Time will tell whether we go down that route, Liverpool '83 is no comparison that was a Cup game.

Well that is not the football I want to see every week. Maybe after 45 years it's time to call it a day. This just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well that is not the football I want to see every week. Maybe after 45 years it's time to call it a day. This just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I fully understand that but quite surprised it has taken this long for the reality to set in

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Glad we didn't have that attitude when we went to Liverpool in 83 when they were the best team in the world!

I don't buy this....they cost so much so we must roll over bullshit. We are in the premier on merit, not fluke.

Hughton seems to think that the team that got us to stay in the prem is his first choice. I fail to see the point in buying all these players if he isn't going to play them.

That was in the cup!

You like so many other completely disregard the previous season's league result which was far more impressive beating them 1-0 at Anfield. Why do most forget this amazing game? There was only a handful of us there. The cup game there was at least 35000 Brighton there according to bullshit. I was at both and at Forest when beating the European Champions.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

We'll stick with the 82 1-0 at Anfield and the 1-0 at the City ground

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Huddersfield are doing exactly that. A corner shop taking on a supermarket.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45695962

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We'll stick with the 82 1-0 at Anfield and the 1-0 at the City ground

And I suspect if we can remain in the Premier League we may well pick up the odd fantastic result away

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm afraid I'm with you on this. It's all very well people saying you want to evolve gradually but we aren't doing that. I appreciate that TB has an eye on the finances but football is a sport.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Citeh are on a different planet to us, do we have a back 4 that cost more than our Stadium ?

We simply cannot compete against teams like this there is a massive gap so 2-0 loss away from home to me was a good result

Performance - possibly (I didn't see it)

Result - no (a good result would have included point(s) which was always highly unlikely).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm afraid I'm with you on this. It's all very well people saying you want to evolve gradually but we aren't doing that. I appreciate that TB has an eye on the finances but football is a sport.

To be honest, I was visiting my mum down in Somerset and the football didn't even cross my radar....I only remembered when coming home asking the mrs to look up the score. I haven't been away for three years now and I much prefer playing golf...maybe it's my age, but with the feeling of " been there done that" and totally uninspiring frustrating football ( apart from United being so dreadful). I am really struggling to get any enthusiasm going for this.

Maybe it was the journey, not the destination that it was all about for me.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

I don't think we have enough money to compete properly with the top six, so mid-table is probably the best we can aim at unless we get an even richer sugar-daddy.

It depends what level you want to see. At present we could swan around in the Championship (or lower) looking world beaters at that level, or appear also-rans in the Premier League scrapping to stay there like everyone else outside the moneybags teams. Personally I want to be in the highest league we can get in.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
If Locadia had been given a proper chance I’d quite possibly completely agree and be calling for him to be dropped for good. But I just don’t think games away to the top six or out of position constitute a proper chance. I think I’m right in saying he hasn’t started a single game against a bottom 14 team as a central striker since we signed him?

Spot on. I felt quite sorry for him yesterday and it must be quite disheartening for him knowing he’s going to be back on the bench on Friday night when we MIGHT try and leave our half and create a chance or two. Yesterday was impossible for him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't think we have enough money to compete properly with the top six, so mid-table is probably the best we can aim at unless we get an even richer sugar-daddy.

It depends what level you want to see. At present we could swan around in the Championship (or lower) looking world beaters at that level, or appear also-rans in the Premier League scrapping to stay there like everyone else outside the moneybags teams. Personally I want to be in the highest league we can get in.

Probably a few years ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be honest, I was visiting my mum down in Somerset and the football didn't even cross my radar....I only remembered when coming home asking the mrs to look up the score. I haven't been away for three years now and I much prefer playing golf...maybe it's my age, but with the feeling of " been there done that" and totally uninspiring frustrating football ( apart from United being so dreadful). I am really struggling to get any enthusiasm going for this.

Maybe it was the journey, not the destination that it was all about for me.

If you haven’t been away for three years you definitely haven’t seen it done it. The quality of football in the Premier League is light years ahead of what it was when we were last at this level. The stadiums are also mostly newish or refurbed.

I really enjoyed yesterday, even with the result and I am enjoying our gradual improvement. Make no mistake we are a better team than last year. It is painful to watch at times but I will certainly bear with it. Good to see Jose back and I am not a Locadia hater, so can watch him with an open mind. Bissouma looks to have great potential, Maty had an absolute blinder. Ali J really does need to start, he has also been pretty good and attack minded in his cameos so far.

Each to their own though :smile:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Bong gets so much completely undeserved shite on here, and at the AMEX I can't help thinking it's something more sinister than footballing ability.

I know you love to slate Brighton fans but how the **** have you got away with insinuating that people who don't rate Bong are racist?
Uh-oh, I don't particularly rate Locadia either.

Where are my matches, I need to light the cross in my garden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here