Lidl or Aldi

• Lidl

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Aldi

Votes: 52 63.4%

• Total voters

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I love Lidl, with its bargain basement prices, merry haphazardly, and a surprise around every corner. But now there is a new Aldi superstore due to open near me, which will be larger than my local Lidl, and rather more convenient to get to. So should I swap allegiances? Is one better than the other, or are they really much of a muchness?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Very similar I shop at Aldi because it is closer to my house.
But there are some small differences I suggest you go to Aldi and decide which one you prefer.
I believe that Lidl has a madder mad middle, just.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
As you speculated that they were really much of a muchness why didn't the poll have that option?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They are owned by brothers so they are allied together anyway.

They aren't. I think it's a myth.

People may get confused with Puma / Adidas. Started by two brothers who fell out or Aldi being two separate companies in Germany ( Aldi North and Aldi South ) each being controlled by one brother.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
They aren't. I think it's a myth.

People may get confused with Puma / Adidas. Started by two brothers who fell out or Aldi being two separate companies in Germany ( Aldi North and Aldi South ) each being controlled by one brother.

A number of people have told me the brother story, and a quick Google always proves them wrong. How did such a dull rumour become so widespread?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A number of people have told me the brother story, and a quick Google always proves them wrong. How did such a dull rumour become so widespread?

Combination of there being 2 Aldi companies (each owned by a brother), German trainers and an identikit supermarket from the same country.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Got accused of shoplifting a prawn sandwich at the Eastbourne aldi this week the cashier saw a empty wrapper In my trolley said pass I here I will scan it I said it was not mine She said you ate it didn't you four times I she asked Four times I said no All the time the rest of the queue looking a me Her turning looking at them As much to say he did She then turned to my 12 year old son And said he ate It didn't he My self smiled She said see looking at the queue At which point I swore she said no need to swear I said fxxxoff paid my bill And left Thought about it in car park went back in and aske dto see manager told him what had happened demanded he looks at cctv Anyway after a hour he came back with a bottle of wine and said sorry I then realised that I had been there two hours So said i will get a parking ticket He said no problem when you get it bring it in and we will cancel it I wont be going back there in a hurry

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Got accused of shoplifting a prawn sandwich at the Eastbourne aldi this week the cashier saw a empty wrapper In my trolley said pass I here I will scan it I said it was not mine She said you ate it didn't you four times I she asked Four times I said no All the time the rest of the queue looking a me Her turning looking at them As much to say he did She then turned to my 12 year old son And said he ate It didn't he My self smiled She said see looking at the queue At which point I swore she said no need to swear I said fxxxoff paid my bill And left Thought about it in car park went back in and aske dto see manager told him what had happened demanded he looks at cctv Anyway after a hour he came back with a bottle of wine and said sorry I then realised that I had been there two hours So said i will get a parking ticket He said no problem when you get it bring it in and we will cancel it I wont be going back there in a hurry

Positively Joycean, though rather less erotic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If in Burgess Hill we use LIDL the only complaint being the time it takes to get through the check out but if in Brighton use ALDI London Rd but the same check out problems.

Their till areas are designed for the trolley to fit in so that you put the goods back into the trolley and not in your bags then take the trolley to the side to put the goods in you own bags. If everybody did that there would no hold ups at the checkouts. I do not think there is much difference in the products although a top chef once told me he uses LIDL for fresh veg as it is by far the best and freshest of all the supermarkets including Waitrose and Sainsburys

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
If in Burgess Hill we use LIDL the only complaint being the time it takes to get through the check out but if in Brighton use ALDI London Rd but the same check out problems.

Their till areas are designed for the trolley to fit in so that you put the goods back into the trolley and not in your bags then take the trolley to the side to put the goods in you own bags. If everybody did that there would no hold ups at the checkouts. I do not think there is much difference in the products although a top chef once told me he uses LIDL for fresh veg as it is by far the best and freshest of all the supermarkets including Waitrose and Sainsburys

Most 'fresh' veg is not fresh

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

And...................................relax.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

This. It's the reason they have the big counters over by the window, for you to sort your stuff. Nearly everyone carefully puts it in bags at checkout. If you do that in their shops on the mainland you get shouted out by everyone in the queue.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Use both equally. I do find Lidl just a little more expensive though. I prefer the experience in Lidl - easy parking and wider isles. The parking at Portslade Aldi is an utter nightmare.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here