Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No.9 Ashley Barnes

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Baldock is a far better player than Barnes IMHO.

Very different strikers with very different qualities. Baldock has improved this year and is now a good striker at Championship level. Barnes has been in this bracket (upper end Champ, lower end Prem) for a few years now.

Barnes is a nightmare to play against and can certainly mix it. Every successful team needs one or two players like this.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Four, yep 4, goals this season. Let us say treble that for back in the Championship making 12, that is less than Murray, Hemed, Knockheart and equal to Baldock. I was never a Barnes hater, but he really was nothing out of the ordinary. Get over it Erns.

He was injured for 17 months and on his comeback scored a 94th minute winner against Palace in a 4-3 match at Turf Moor. For that reason alone he will always get a :bowdown: from me. He cost £120,000, we got a decent return from him as well as 20 goals in the League 1 winning season.

...and he's a very nice bloke.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I'm not a fan. Here is my take on this.

Barnes is 27.5 so pretty much at his peak. He has played professionally as a striker now for 10 seasons.

During that time he had his two best league goal scoring seasons with us in 2010/11 (18 goals in League 1 when I thought he looked good) and 2011/12 (11 goals in championship, the start of the decline).

Outside of those two seasons he has scored a total of 32 goals in 174 games (an average of 1 in 5.5 approx).

Burnley are probably the only Premiership team he would get a game at because of his physicality. There are aspects of his game that are good (physicality and shooting) but there are others that are poor (pace, touch, skill). It would have been interesting if we had kept him as part of a duo with Glen as per the 2010/11 season but I don't think he gets in our current side now.

Given all that, he is 100 times the player i ever was.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
He was injured for 17 months and on his comeback scored a 94th minute winner against Palace in a 4-3 match at Turf Moor. For that reason alone he will always get a :bowdown: from me. He cost £120,000, we got a decent return from him as well as 20 goals in the League 1 winning season.

...and he's a very nice bloke.

As is Calde of course, now he IS better than Bale, Messi and Ronaldo combined, just AB wasn't quite that good.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Thank feck I'm not alone - never rated Ashley Banjo, as in couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...

Never understood the AB fan club - he's no Zamora, and that's a given!

Marmite character, i personally didn't rate him at all and thought it was a reasonable deal to get 800k for him at the time, certainly no regrets that he left

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not a fan. Here is my take on this.

Barnes is 27.5 so pretty much at his peak. He has played professionally as a striker now for 10 seasons.

During that time he had his two best league goal scoring seasons with us in 2010/11 (18 goals in League 1 when I thought he looked good) and 2011/12 (11 goals in championship, the start of the decline).

Outside of those two seasons he has scored a total of 32 goals in 174 games (an average of 1 in 5.5 approx).

Burnley are probably the only Premiership team he would get a game at because of his physicality. There are aspects of his game that are good (physicality and shooting) but there are others that are poor (pace, touch, skill). It would have been interesting if we had kept him as part of a duo with Glen as per the 2010/11 season but I don't think he gets in our current side now.

Given all that, he is 100 times the player i ever was.

In so many of those Albion games you mention he was either a sub or had to muck in in Poyet's negative 5 man midfield in the Amex era. With the prize striker role going to a procession of not very good strikers on our books or loaned in.

Barnes was our best forward in that period.

Before that at Withdean, he was an excellent very young understudy to Murray, consistent, with a stack of crucial goals in our vital promotion of 2011.

He left for a much better contract at Burnley. His final pay with us was £3,250 pw at a time when many first teamers were on £8k to £11k pw. Good luck to him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He didn't foul the referee at Bolton. The ref went down and was looking for a scapegoat.

We'll have to agree to disagree there.

He has previous and likes to leave something on players in a tackle or two along with his red mist capability.

I'll disagree with you too. He turned because Wayne Bridge had won the ball and was charging down the left wing. Barnesy hadn't seen where the ref was and clipped his heel. The ref had it in for him, because Barnes had been whinging about the all in wrestling in the penalty area, with one Bolton player actually wrapping his arm around Barnes' neck, felling him, and no penalty given.
I was there, and I saw it with my own eyes. As was El Pres.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here