Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Curry

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
A couple of poppadoms to start accompanied by the raitha, onions, mango chutney but not the lime pickle which I think comes straight from Satan's butthole

For mains it has to be a saucy curry as opposed to a dry one. As for specific dish it's always chicken & can be a Bhuna, Murghi Marsala or on occasions a Madras. Heat wise a Madras or a Ceylon chicken is as hot as I like. This has to come with mushroom pilau rice

On the side pretty standard stuff. Onion or mushroom bhaji, Bombay potato, veggie Samosa. Love a peshwari nan but often too filling.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
What are hate cloves?

Forgive my poorly worded boiled rice justification. It should read ‘I hate cloves...’

I reckon hate cloves could catch on though. For a food to be that disgusting it must really hate taste buds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It’s all about the home made from my MIL and my wife’s ‘aunties’.

They are like nothing you’ve ever tried in a restaurant - even their bhajis and tandoori chicken kick ass.

One of her aunties always makes me a massive supply of her special chicken whenever she drops round. So succulent and as hot as her dry spice mix is you can taste every single spice and the heat builds nicely with each mouthful.

Even the simplest things like kachumber are so different in each household but if you ever get a takeaway cuzza and they’ve forgotten that lovely bag of salad here’s a really easy recipe to make your own:

One small red onion - very thinly sliced or diced, then wash in warm water, leave to dry.

Flavoursome small plum tomatoes halved - Tesco sugar drops work well.

Half a Cucumber, split down the middle, peeled and de-seeded then finely sliced and washed

Fresh coriander - a handful roughly chopped.

One carrot, peeled, washed and grated

Add to a bowl the following:

Table salt - 1 teaspoon
Ground cumin - preferably seeds that have been roasted but the Schwartz jar will do - half a teaspoon, or to taste
Half a lemon, juiced

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and leave out of the fridge for at least ten minutes for flavours to infuse.

Sometimes it’s the simplest things.

Similar thing with family, Burmese origin on my mums side so started eating 'proper' curry from a very young age. My Aunties was to die for and my mums was completely different but equally fantastic. Fortunately, one of my cousins and I carried on the sterling work and I cook at least one curry a week, different dishes. This week was a keema but with beef mince. I had it from Sunday to Tuesday, so I don't need to feel this thread is going to get me out buying a ruby tomorrow!

As for the Indian salad, very similar to how I do it, but not cumin or carrots, the rest spot on to my way. I have one of those fine chopping implements so they all go in that to chop it as fine as possible, except the coriander.

However, today I shall be mostly cooking a proper Burmese dish: Khowsuey - https://tellmewhattocook.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/burmese-chicken-curry-khow-suey-pronounced-cow-sway/ - although I have modified this over the years and make a simpler version with lashings of coconut milk.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Should always be served with a vegetable curry on the side BG, makes the dish IMHO.

Exacttly, that's where much of the spice and juicy texture comes from. I've never had a biryani served without either vegetable curry or dhal or both either from a British Indian takeaway or on my business trips to India.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That's a Jalfrezi, isn't it?

The Naan, my local ruby house does a cheesy Naan which also has fresh green chillies!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
An EXTRA garlic naan? Does that mean you have two?

:lolol::lolol::lolol: very funny! Where are the grammar police when you need them.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
William Morton Curry was an English professional footballer who scored 184 goals from 393 appearances in the Football League playing as a centre forward for Newcastle United, Brighton & Hove Albion, Derby County, Mansfield Town and Chesterfield. Wikipedia

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Darren Paul Currie is an English former footballer who made over 600 appearances in The Football League. He is currently assistant manager at Barnet. Wikipedia. Vindaloo.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How odd. I’m just eating the last of last nights Rogan Josh cold for a late breakfast this morning. Splendid.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Big fan of lamb curries. Must haves include rotis and dhal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Poppadums and pickles (lime particularly)
Prawn pathia on puree to start
Garlic chilli chicken or similar, something with plenty of sauce and on the medium to hot scale
Keema Nan, don't usually bother with rice
Tarka dhal
Red wine to accompany

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The Anaz, in the Valley does a cheese and chilli naan which is absolutely fantastic. I suspect no such naan has been served in India ever, but I don't care.

There is not much authentic about most of the dishes available in the majority of Indian Restaurants in this country, and that is really not a problem at all. Most of these made up dishes are glorious.:drool:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Poppadoms, with dips, and controversially also with the main.

Mushroom Rice always, pilao is fine if the restaurant in question makes it properly but the weird white rice with odd grain a different colour pilao is an abomination.

Always used to be a garlic naan shared, as one on your own is too much with rice and a main. However, I now alternate in a paratha if the Indian in question makes them properly. I am also making my first attempt at making these beauties this evening.

Sag Paneer and Onion Bhaji, Mrs Pantani will have ordered both of these so I get some without having to compromise on an extra side for myself.

My extra side/starter rotates through the various tandoori and kebab options, with the occassional foray in to aloo gobi, or some other cauliflower thing.

Main is always Lamb, and normally one of the spicier but not too hot varieties, Madras, Ceylon or something off the chefs specials/specialties bit that most Indians seem to have.

Now obviously that is a lot of food, so loads get brought home with us, the only thing better than curry? Day old curry, just seems to get better with age. Final point on all these essentials, it all goes out of the window if I am eating with some friends of mine who are vegetarian, we then just order loads of veggie things and share it all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here