Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
....... after three courses, a bottle of Malbec and two large brandies the night before. I even have a witness :)

I witnessed the run but not the drinking. The bottle of red is about par for Parkrun but the addition of 2 large brandies pushes it into the elite class.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Right: here's a positive one. What's the most surprisingly good run you've ever done? Not necessarily a PB but one where you ended up saying 'where did that come from?'. Maybe you were recovering from an injury or had a long lay-off or simply a beast of hangover. Or maybe you were running an unfamiliar distance and did far better than you anticipated.

Mine was when I was running the 10k leg of a relay triathlon. I'd not run for a couple of weeks but the pressure of not letting the team down made me run my best time for a good few years.
SDW50 last year. Was hoping to get in around 11 hours (had timings worked out for each stage and everything) but plodded through the finish in 9.50 (with my coach jumping up and down excitedly).

Vast majority of my other races, of any distance, have been unremarkable except maybe dipping under 20mins at Hove parkrun having never gone under 21 before (not sure I will again either). Freak performance.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
SDW50 last year. Was hoping to get in around 11 hours (had timings worked out for each stage and everything) but plodded through the finish in 9.50 (with my coach h up and down excitedly).

I would be jumping up and down doing the SDW50, let alone in that time.

Vast majority of my other races, of any distance, have been unremarkable except maybe dipping under 20mins at Hove parkrun having never gone under 21 before (not sure I will again either). Freak performance.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The benefits of a NSC Challenge day. Shame your pacer couldn't keep up.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
My best performance was probably this years Surrey Half. I hadn't been able to properly train for it for various reasons, but everything just fell into place at the right time (most notably a break in the perma-cold you have when you own young children) - and to get so close to breaking 1:30 having only got anywhere near previously on the flat course at Dorney Lake just wet my appetite for more!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Lovely evening for a run tonight. Always the same post marathon, your body refuses to to run fast. First two miles were 7:16 despite putting it in, things got easier from 3 miles and ended up running just under 7.5 miles in bang on 7 minute mile pace.

Will be interesting to see my Park Run time Saturday, really not expecting too much, but feel it's a good training run for The Worthing 10k in 4 weeks time.

Oh yeah and Mike Dean's a ****.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had minor surgery on neck lump today. Need cut to heal so I week without doing anything let alone run. That means missing the pub and Amex for the SW matches and watching at home. Told not to run, work allotment, or much at all for 2 weeks.
Keep thinking I have stopped running already with only 5 runs in a month but have to remember that they were a 2 mile recovery run, Brighton Marathon, the Three Forts Challenge Marathon and 2 Parkruns with one being Second best time in 7 years. Excellent time for a rest.
Good running boys and see you all at Wembley. I'll be up and running by then.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just seen impressive numbers run towards King Alfred from my balcony. Recognised a few, then realised its the Run Squad training session. Must have been 100+ out there tonight.

I understand our very own [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] is now a member.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had minor surgery on neck lump today. Need cut to heal so I week without doing anything let alone run. That means missing the pub and Amex for the SW matches and watching at home. Told not to run, work allotment, or much at all for 2 weeks.
Keep thinking I have stopped running already with only 5 runs in a month but have to remember that they were a 2 mile recovery run, Brighton Marathon, the Three Forts Challenge Marathon and 2 Parkruns with one being Second best time in 7 years. Excellent time for a rest.

Take it easy, two weeks off will be a good thing. Hope it heals up quickly.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just seen impressive numbers run towards King Alfred from my balcony. Recognised a few, then realised its the Run Squad training session. Must have been 100+ out there tonight.

I understand our very own [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] is now a member.

He'll be supporting Palace next.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Get well soon and text me if you need anything. I'm just round the corner. :thumbsup:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
He'll be supporting Palace next.

Oi - that a bit uncalled for is n't it? - I'll put it down to the anaesthetic still wearing off!

Yes I've managed to join Run Squad -been out three times with them so far and very positive experience. Organised sessions in different paced groups - tonight's drill was 3x12 min out and backs aiming to run at a faster pace than you normally would - I went with the 7:15/mile group. Very welcoming and a pretty decent standard - one of them came fourth in Seaford HM this weekend. Really enjoying it on Wednesday nights and looking forward to joining some longer stuff on Sundays. As [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] says its quite a big group - in fact you probably only saw half as we split into half running west half running east - I guess there must have been ~150 there tonight.

Get better soon [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] -rest well and look forward to seeing you back soon! Looks like I'll have to find a different pub from the Trafalgar on Friday eve.

(Go Eagles :O)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'll add my good wishes to the knockmeister.
Am trying a diet. I'm not a serial dieter at all but the weight was sneaking up on me. The adage used to be that you run at first to lose weight and then lose weight to run. After 30+ years of running, I've been almost exclusively focussed on the first. However, you get to a point where you start to think about losing a few pounds as a major variable to performance.
The day after I decided that I was carrying a bit too much timber (about 7lbs), I ran my best 5K for years. This could have been an excuse not to proceed but I resisted the temptation.
So this is my regime
- no breakfast
- no mid-morning snacks
- first food at around mid-day (that's as long as I can hang on)
- try not to stuff too much grub down late in evening
- try to get exercise before mid-day

And that's it. There is some 'science' around this - something about the body going into fasting mode and the exercise kicking off your fat-burning capability. There's also a few studies that show it to be reasonably successful. I'm sure all of this can be contested, but I'm giving it a go.

Results (interim):

- weight loss about 4lbs
- a bit grumpier than usual
- running performance: no discernible improvement!

Giving this about 1 months trial and about 2 weeks to go.

Anybody tried anything similar/different? (Diet - other than heroic levels of consumption! - is not a common topic on the thread.)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oi - that a bit uncalled for is n't it? - I'll put it down to the anaesthetic still wearing off!

Yes I've managed to join Run Squad -been out three times with them so far and very positive experience. Organised sessions in different paced groups - tonight's drill was 3x12 min out and backs aiming to run at a faster pace than you normally would - I went with the 7:15/mile group. Very welcoming and a pretty decent standard - one of them came fourth in Seaford HM this weekend. Really enjoying it on Wednesday nights and looking forward to joining some longer stuff on Sundays. As [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] says its quite a big group - in fact you probably only saw half as we split into half running west half running east - I guess there must have been ~150 there tonight.

Get better soon [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] -rest well and look forward to seeing you back soon! Looks like I'll have to find a different pub from the Trafalgar on Friday eve.

(Go Eagles :O)

Was only joking as jealous that I was told the waiting list was closed for Run Squad whilst you were signed up immediately. That's what i get for buying my trainers from TK Maxx.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Neck update. Ticket bought in the gods for Monday night so the head will not strain looking upwards (lucky it's not Leeds).

Stitches out Thursday and perhaps light jogging next weekend.

Adding the pie thread to the dieting plans on here I will have a venison and red wine pie in one pocket and a chicken and mushroom in the other. Both baked at Sugar Dough in Hove.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hove Park tomorrow? Will be showing off my London Marathon shirt! (Daren't wear my Run Squad one)

Would have bloomin' loved to. Sadly we are back in to football training to prepare for a tournament at the end of the month and then our own one just after that. Seriously loved parkrun so will be skiving off training a few more times in an effort to get to around 21.30

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hove Park tomorrow? Will be showing off my London Marathon shirt! (Daren't wear my Run Squad one)

I'll be there, but won't be in my London top, because I'm wearing it right now!

Would have bloomin' loved to. Sadly we are back in to football training to prepare for a tournament at the end of the month and then our own one just after that. Seriously loved parkrun so will be skiving off training a few more times in an effort to get to around 21.30

Surely you're the boss, GB, you can shift training time, can't you? ;) Junior Bobkin's training has moved to 10am Saturday, which works really well. Although he's old enough to get around anyway.

Which tournaments are you down for? We've got Worthing, Lancing and Southwick between now and July, so I might see you there...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here