Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great effort and well done GB - right on my stomping ground.

Shoreham-by-Sea has it all - I don't need to leave the place and I've got hills, off-road, fast flat routes, and the sea to cool off in. I *may* be biased because I've lived here all my life, but I bloody love the place. 😎

16 miles for me to Brighton and back this morning - 2.20hrs and 2,400 calories burned. Harvey's AND pie on the menu this afternoon 😂

You and the other GB are explaining why my running is going downhill. I'm not doing any. Weekly total of zero.
5 miles is a long run at the moment. Well done all of you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
First ever half marathon today in 2.13.23.

The most spontanious run I've ever done as I had no real idea of where I was going or when I could set out. We had my youngest's friend over for a sleep over so I had no idea of how often we'd be up in the night and I needed someone else to be up before I could set off. In the end everyone got up early together.

Headed off to Shoreham and ran a bit of the trail alongside the Adur before doubling back and going along Shoreham Beach towards Lancing. It had everything everyone on here has recommended. Some hills, a bit of off road, some flat and a return home in a West to East direction., Will definitely be running it again.

I can have Harvey's at the Sevilla game now :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/359220630

Nice work, well done....

Done a couple of events that have started and or finished in Shoreham (including the night marathon last week), bloody lovely running along the river/downslink trail, and can either stick on the DL all the way to the North Downs or veer off onto the South Downs for some hillage.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great stuff @guiness boy. Barnes green HM at end of september ? - it's a lovely event closed roads, some off road, village green atmosphere.

Just ran up to Devils dyke and back pretty warm out there. Not great on park run yesterday I realise three days in Scotland is not the greatest preparation. Great run by [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] though who cam sprinting past me in the last 50 metres. Definitely deserves a pie.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Finally got the forerunner305 to work again. Having cut wires, soldered new ones and re glued the case I still had trouble with no charge on the new battery.
A quick search suggested holding down mode and lap button for 10 seconds whilst connected to PC by USB port. Now on 6th hour of work and still going strong.
Hopefully my running will be recharged likewise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great stuff @guiness boy. Barnes green HM at end of september ? - it's a lovely event closed roads, some off road, village green atmosphere.

Just ran up to Devils dyke and back pretty warm out there. Not great on park run yesterday I realise three days in Scotland is not the greatest preparation. Great run by [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] though who cam sprinting past me in the last 50 metres. Definitely deserves a pie.

I would love to enter lots more races but it's not going to fit in with my football coaching commitments unfortunately, Sticking to the the Bright10 and Brighton Half for now. As usual I've said yes to far too much!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The biggest news of yesterday, eclipsing all this Zamora nonsense, is I ran a 10km PB on my usual 'down and up and a zillion roads to cross' route.

Maybe flat seafront runs are just not my thing after all.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
So I finally got an armband for my phone and ran using the strava app on my phone rather than the pedometer on my ipod nano. Think the ipod has been underestimating my runs so have in fact been running much further than thought! Best 5km run before was just over 31 minutes at about 6.20/km, yesterday it was 27:50 at 5.30/km! Given me a big boost in confidence now!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had another nice hill run today, which allowed me to head north and out of the strong westerly wind. 9.32 miles run in 1 hour 8 minutes 20 secs average pace of 7:20 per mile.

Again made my way to Mile Oak farm through Portslade village before rejoining Old Shoreham Road and heading back to the seafront at Southwick. Keen to get back to Park Run this week so hope to see a few of you there.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] the Brighton Marathon 10k places are now up for grabs, there is also a Worthing 10k along the seafront relatively soon, if your looking to get an organised event in.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Pretty upset I will be missing out on a 5 star Parkrun race between BigNuts and Pembury this Saturday. I've only ever seen Pembury's back.
Compensation will be 4 days cricket watching at Trent Bridge where I can now watch Brighton in the pub thanks to Sky.
Will be staying 3 miles from one of the Nottingham Parkruns so will pop over to Rushcliffe Country Park Saturday for a possibly hungover jog around their course wearing my Brighton away shirt.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Saw this little chap on my morning run today: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438705296.326175.jpg

He was a banded anteater, quite a friendly little chap too

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did a full Yasso 800 session last night for the first time. 800m repeats x 10, with walk/jog recoveries same time length as the 800s. Hardest training session I have ever done, without doubt. Almost bailed on a couple of the intervals, and almost puked on another. Well chuffed with how it went though - all the 800s were in an 11 second window. I couldn't have done any more intervals, was completely shot after the 10th.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did a full Yasso 800 session last night for the first time. 800m repeats x 10, with walk/jog recoveries same time length as the 800s. Hardest training session I have ever done, without doubt. Almost bailed on a couple of the intervals, and almost puked on another. Well chuffed with how it went though - all the 800s were in an 11 second window. I couldn't have done any more intervals, was completely shot after the 10th.

Well done (and ouch!).

6k recovery run (again) for me this morning. It seems that despite running 10k last Wednesday and a half on Sunday I have put some weight on between Edgaston, a couple of BBQs and a business trip. Back on the rabbit food and off the beer till Friday and I think some intervals of my own tomorrow night (not those ^ though)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I am still not recovered from last months intervals but getting there. I like the look of Burt Yasso's intervals and may build up from 4x800 in September. I read that you can incorporate them in marathon training and run them in your planned marathon time. So for me 3 hours 40 becomes 3 minutes 40. I will aim 3:30 to 3:40 for Yasso's.
I reckon you were around 3:15 yesterday?
Gentle jog and repeat of yesterday's swim in the Adur near Lancing College for me today. Maybe [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] does live in God's Country.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

They sound appealing and appalling in equal measure :lol:

I'm not very good at intervals, but I do think they make a massive difference to your overall fitness and speed. Where did you do the 800s – on the same spot each time? The ideal would probably be a track, or Hove Park (where it is marked out and where I know), but I guess the seafront is another good location, and I see people down there doing that sort of thing.

No running since Sunday for me. A few reasons, but don't actually mind the break.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
My eyesight is getting pretty rubbish so I thought I'd try contact lenses for the first time. I'm just about ok on the road but trail running I need to see where I'm going a bit more. Just spent a very frustrating and ultimately unsuccessful 30 minutes trying to put them in at Boots. They've booked me in for another go next week but I'm not hopeful. Perhaps prescription sports/sunglasses may be a better option. Can anyone recommend?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here