Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] OT neighbour advice

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Thank you to everyone for the input or advice, obviously some more than others.

To be clear the shared driveway doesn't actually fit a car down so is only used as walk way to the back of the 2 houses and to store his bins and recycling boxes. When I said occasionally it I'm talking once every few months and is never more than a car boots worth of mainly cardboard boxes. To the person who mentioned about doing it before I went on holiday- I put it out at around 8am and arranged for it to be collected at lunch but he'd moved it in-between.

I met with him today to talk about the issues. I have agreed to keep nothing on the shared drive, which I feel is fair and also agreed to have a higher fence fitted at my expense. In return I ask him to respect my families privacy and stop taking pictures of my back garden that is a private space.

He told me he has sent letters to other neighbors about their choice of parking space, I did find that strange as it is on street parking so not sure he has the right to dictate this to anyone but as others have said life is to short.

He also mentioned the kids garden toys ( trampoline ect) as crap so guessing he isn't a fan of kids although its mainly a family street.

To the person who mentioned about van size -mine is small- Citroen berlingo and is brand new so tidier than most cars. To the poster who said they should ban all vans from residental areas, I hope you stick to your word when you need a trades person to work at your property and make it clear to any tradesman what a stuck up attitude you take to van drivers.

Oh dear he sounds a right sad, lonely b'stard. With any luck he'll move to a retirement complex with no children or pets. He will no doubt find something else to moan about, but it won't be your problem - good luck! :thumbsup:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Has he got a wife?

CC5842B4-E85E-4AA6-BFE1-AD8B2A3201E2.png

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Thank you to everyone for the input or advice, obviously some more than others.

To be clear the shared driveway doesn't actually fit a car down so is only used as walk way to the back of the 2 houses and to store his bins and recycling boxes. When I said occasionally it I'm talking once every few months and is never more than a car boots worth of mainly cardboard boxes. To the person who mentioned about doing it before I went on holiday- I put it out at around 8am and arranged for it to be collected at lunch but he'd moved it in-between.

I met with him today to talk about the issues. I have agreed to keep nothing on the shared drive, which I feel is fair and also agreed to have a higher fence fitted at my expense. In return I ask him to respect my families privacy and stop taking pictures of my back garden that is a private space.

He told me he has sent letters to other neighbors about their choice of parking space, I did find that strange as it is on street parking so not sure he has the right to dictate this to anyone but as others have said life is to short.

He also mentioned the kids garden toys ( trampoline ect) as crap so guessing he isn't a fan of kids although its mainly a family street.

To the person who mentioned about van size -mine is small- Citroen berlingo and is brand new so tidier than most cars. To the poster who said they should ban all vans from residental areas, I hope you stick to your word when you need a trades person to work at your property and make it clear to any tradesman what a stuck up attitude you take to van drivers.

Got to say this comes over a lot better than you original post. Hope things move on with yourself and neighbour...It only needs a little bit of give from both sides. Sounds like you are making the effort , well done.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree the best way forward would be to sit down and talk about it.

But the thought also occurs as to whether you might be running a business from home without change of use planning permission.

Not sure about the technicalities of that sort of thing. Only an issue probably if you're self employed(?)

I don't know if anyone else has (or could) edit it, but I was sure I wrote ….as to whether HE THINKS you might be running a business.... I was not trying to accuse the OP of operating outside the law.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Hoping for some useful advise on dealing with my next door neighbour.
He has recently retired and has lots of time on his hands, he seems to use most of that giving me a hard time. On occasions I have some waste from work collected from the shared drive and he hates that but it’s kind of unavoidable for me running a small business and I always have it collected within a day of putting it there.

More recently he has started to become angry bordering aggressive, telling me how and where I can park, how I should or shouldn’t maintain my garden and whilst I was on holiday last week he decided to take the waste I’d left out and arranged to be collected back in my garden. (Trespassing as the gate was locked). He has also sent me a few angry emails with pictures he has taken of my garden over the wall and from his bedroom windows.

We used to get on well but after him shouting at me about my van being parked outside his house I told him to piss off, i know that hasn’t helped but I’d had a long day and it’s onstreet parking.

He has now sent me a text demanding a meeting at a neutral location that is 4 miles away from where we live. He is making me out to be some kind of neighbour from well when in actual fact I’ve done nothing but improve my house since we brought it 8 years ago!

He used to seem a nice guy and I’ve even done a fair bit of work for him in the past but I feel I need to put a stop to this despite him thinking I’m in the wrong.
Ripping up his rose bed, shoving the stems though the letter box and pissing all over his door after spending most of the day in the pub is not a good way of resolving neighbouring disputes. I can state that with absolute certainty.

Just in case such a plan occured to you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I share your pain buddy.

I don't share a drive but it is directly next to my neighbours drive. Thankfully he and his wife are the nicest people in the world and I get on really well with both of them. The neighbour the other side on the other hand sounds very similar to your chap. I've lost count to the amount of times he's moaned to me about one thing or another. When I moved in I had a bit of work done. When I had the bathroom done he came round and moaned about the skip on my drive that had the old bathroom suite in it. There is no way he could have seen it from his property unless he opened the window and arched his head round. The neighbour who would have seen it was nice as pie about it I even let him put some of his bits in it too. The neighbours opposite who were looking right at it came over and asked if they could have some of the cardboard out of it as she was making a space ship with her son. It was more of a ballache to me as I couldn't park on my drive whilst it was there.

A month or so later I had the kitchen done. Thankfully I was at work else I think I would have chinned the bloke if I'd been in. He came round to the back garden so walked down my drive and let himself in the back gate to confront my chippy and started moaning to him that he had ruined his new windows. Basically saw dust had blown over the fence and sat on his damp white uPVC windows. My chippy simply ran his finger along them and hay presto problem solved.

I think he just has nothing better to do and is nosey. Every bit of work I've had done he's always come out to speak to the workmen to see what was going on.

I don't give him the time of day now.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Someone may have said this I don't have the time to read 11 pages but neighbour disputes must now be included when selling a house I believe, so being good neighbours may be better for you both should one or both of you wish to sell at some point.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
FFS :facepalm:
Strange comment, my work van which I own and I use for my business, is new not sign written and cleaner than many cars I see driving around.
It’s parked on my driveway outside my house.

Any suggestions to where I should park it when I’m not working?

In your garage?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You should have tried harder at school. Then you would not be bothered about vans. lol
With a name like pork pie I imagine you're a fat **** that's sits at a desk all day

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
What am I doing that breaks the law or puts me in the wrong- surely as it’s my own property I’m entitled to store anything I want within reason obviously. Not picking an argument just curious.

On occasions I have some waste from work collected from the shared drive and he hates that but it’s kind of unavoidable for me running a small business

I don't see how you think you are not in the wrong. You have a small business and are leaving waste in a shared drive. Many people along with your neighbour see this as a violation of law. Unless there is something you are not telling us.

i reckon you should stop leaving waste on the drive, thats probably major source of contention.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
A chap up the road parks one of these on his drive:lol:

image.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here