Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wayne Rooney to make England comeback

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, as previously discussed I was choosing sinks and vanity units for my new bathroom. I missed the German friendly as well....it was taps that night.

Well then, you're not really in the best position to comment. The Spain game was one of the most competitive England games I've ever seen, way more competitive than those 'Attackers v Defenders' Euro/World qualifying games which we have to endure.

Your point (post #90) about the tournament designer is spot on though.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
In other news: England captain "banned" from earning 100th cap away, so she can earn it at home instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46109635

Houghton OUT!

This is bollocks, the Rooney thing is a load of bollocks, John Terry (sorry, "J ****ing T") having a guard of honour off of the pitch during his last game.

The essence of sport is not a sodding montage soundtracked by 'A day like this' by Elbow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I got to "Rotherham" before :ffsparr:

Its a massive facepalm isn't it.

Imagine a few years down the line if Dunk was Albion captain, and he was due his 400th appearance away at, I dunno, Watford. Hughton by now is managing Spurs, but current Albion manager Jermaine Defoe said:

"Lewis won't be involved this Saturday. He wants to play but we told him no. I wanted to make Tuesday a special day at the Amex because he [Lewis] has earned it. He deserves it so he'll be rested, and it can be a celebration of his Albion career. He actually doesn't want it to be about him because he is so humble and he wanted to make his 400th appearance at Watford. But we have almost banned him from playing. It is very doubtful he will even be on the bench."

Mmmkay. Really professional, Phil.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If womens football wants to be taken seriously, this type of bobbins certainly doesn't help does it.

What an absolute farce.

Genuine question. Who isn't taking women's football seriously?

The growth of the game in the last 5 years has been phenomenal.

I imagine quality of play, development of talent, improvement of facilities, further TV coverage, growth of young girls playing football, performance of the national team and the continued growth in attendance figures would probably count for more than 'this bobbins'

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Its a massive facepalm isn't it.

Imagine a few years down the line if Dunk was Albion captain, and he was due his 400th appearance away at, I dunno, Watford. Hughton by now is managing Spurs, but current Albion manager Jermaine Defoe said:

"Lewis won't be involved this Saturday. He wants to play but we told him no. I wanted to make Tuesday a special day at the Amex because he [Lewis] has earned it. He deserves it so he'll be rested, and it can be a celebration of his Albion career. He actually doesn't want it to be about him because he is so humble and he wanted to make his 400th appearance at Watford. But we have almost banned him from playing. It is very doubtful he will even be on the bench."

Mmmkay. Really professional, Phil.

Your example is regarding a competitive league game. I can't think of a manager EVER doing what you suggest or fans standing for it.

The England game Houghton is being held back from is a friendly.

Really, not the same.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The growth of the game in the last 5 years has been phenomenal.

I imagine quality of play, development of talent, improvement of facilities, further TV coverage, growth of young girls playing football, performance of the national team and the continued growth in attendance figures would probably count for more than 'this bobbins'

Its being taken more seriously than it was, for sure. But its still fighting for its place to be taken as seriously as the mens game - it probably never will be.

Contriving your team selection to accommodate gestures / stunts like this doesn't do anything to help. Its just unprofessional. As unprofessional, contrived and pointless as bringing retired players back for a farewell hurrah that nobody asked for and nobody cares about. In fact probably even more so.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Your example is regarding a competitive league game. I can't think of a manager EVER doing what you suggest or fans standing for it.

The England game Houghton is being held back from is a friendly.

Really, not the same.

Really, really pointless though. What is this cloying DESIRE to honour players with these empty gestures ? Just let her play the bloody game, what does it matter if the game at Rovrum is her 101st cap instead of her 100th ? Its just a different number. Its meaningless and trite, and I'd expect the manager of a National team to be above this kind of bobbins. Yes, it IS bobbins.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Really, really pointless though. What is this cloying DESIRE to honour players with these empty gestures ? Just let her play the bloody game, what does it matter if the game at Rovrum is her 101st cap instead of her 100th ? Its just a different number. Its meaningless and trite, and I'd expect the manager of a National team to be above this kind of bobbins. Yes, it IS bobbins.

I'm with you on this - it looks like the marketing people have got their wish and the England team will milk as much publicity from her 100th cap as they possibly can.

It's ironic that this month one footballer is desperate to play for England but won't be capped, while another will be given a cap for doing f*ck all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm with you on this - it looks like the marketing people have got their wish and the England team will milk as much publicity from her 100th cap as they possibly can.

It's ironic that this month one footballer is desperate to play for England but won't be capped, while another will be given a cap for doing f*ck all.

Indeed.

To be clear, I've no problem with the England doris getting some kind of recognition for reaching/surpassing 100 caps. Thats a great achievement on her part. But just let it happen - don't start pissing about with selections just so that the hundredth cap can happen to coincide with a particular fixture, its a nonsense. I bet she'd rather just play both games and get on with it.

The Rooney thing isn't the end of the world either, but its just indicative of the fluff, pomp and nonsense that the FA are so susceptible to. Rooney didn't ask for it. Southgate didn't ask for it. The fans didn't ask for it. So WHY BOTHER.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Indeed.

To be clear, I've no problem with the England doris getting some kind of recognition for reaching/surpassing 100 caps. Thats a great achievement on her part. But just let it happen - don't start pissing about with selections just so that the hundredth cap can happen to coincide with a particular fixture, its a nonsense. I bet she'd rather just play both games and get on with it.

The Rooney thing isn't the end of the world either, but its just indicative of the fluff, pomp and nonsense that the FA are so susceptible to. Rooney didn't ask for it. Southgate didn't ask for it. The fans didn't ask for it. So WHY BOTHER.

Contrast this with when Bobby Moore won his 100th cap for England in 1973 - from Jeff Powell in the Daily Mail:

When the footballer acclaimed by Pele and Franz Beckenbauer as the best defender of all time won his 100th England cap, the occasion was marked by Bobby Moore doing one of the things he enjoyed most.

Driving the Scots demented with frothing frustration, suppressed rage - and grudging admiration.

On St Valentine's Day, 1973, the commanding figure of the only English captain ever to raise the World Cup aloft led his country to the massacre of Scotland (5-0) at Hampden Park. Great and terrible was the gnashing of sporrans.

Otherwise, the celebration of that noble century was largely confined to a few mentions in the papers, something said by Sir Alf Ramsey, then a few beers with the chaps when we got back to London.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
28 players called up including Rooney just for the USA game.

So no players 'missed out', Callum Wilson got his call up and Southgate will clearly play a COMPLETELY different set of players for each game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I used to go along with this, or similar, believing that players generally had 10-12 years at the top, max. So, if you are a Michael Owen, starting at 16, then of course you are on a downward spiral by 28. Rubbish that "28 is the peak age" etc, because it all changes with when they started.

But I think we are seeing more an more players proving this wrong these days. From your global superstars like Ronaldo and Messi, through to your more run-of-the-mill top flights pros like Defoe and Millner, there are loads more players these days who breaking through as a teenager doesn't mean you're done by 30. We know so much more about diets, training, recovery routines, and just managing your body through the years, that Giggs and Bruno aren't the freaks out there. The oddities are the guys who don't look after themselves and are washed up early.

It's the nature vs nurture argument, and yeah it's probably a bit of both.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
7adef6e01f9996c74f0beb1d787f0b73.jpg

Rooney to Captain the side then. TBF could just be for the last 5 minutes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's also getting a guard of honour - presumably when he leaves the pitch, as opposed to when he comes on, although frankly I wouldn't rule anything out. Mascots scattering petals before his feet as he takes the field ? A flypast by the Red Arrows ? A cheeky wink from Simon Cowell ?

I can't wait.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He's also getting a guard of honour - presumably when he leaves the pitch, as opposed to when he comes on, although frankly I wouldn't rule anything out. Mascots scattering petals before his feet as he takes the field ? A flypast by the Red Arrows ? A cheeky wink from Simon Cowell ?

I heard he is going to do a lap of honour of the Wembley pitch in a VW Beetle with a faulty tail light whilst being chased by 2 comedy police officers with a breathaliser (played by Hale and Pace), brought to you in association with Jacobs Creek.

Pure Rooney class.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Genuine answer: I'm not.

Sorry, maybe that makes me a bad person and I should care about it, but I just don't. If they want to do it, fine - I'm sure there are some that are quite good. If people want to watch it, fine, and if Albion and other clubs think it's the right thing to do to have a women's team, fine. Good luck and success to all concerned. But it's still not for me, thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here