Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Racing bike advice please

Mar 26, 2008
Eastbourne
I am after a racing bike and have a budget of £200 ish. I would prefer to buy second hand as better value for money. I have been told that I won't go far wrong with a Specialized Allez but any other advice would be much appreciated. I am not going to be able to get out too often as other family commitments so not worth going crazy with the spec.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you're coming into B&H, pop into G Whizz in Hove
http://g-whizzcycles.co.uk/

Their stock changes regularly but they can sort you out with something. I got my racing bike there and it goes like a dream.

Failing that, the Bike Hub just off Lewes Rd may have something - their bikes are not generally as good as G Whizz but they may have a gem.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I am after a racing bike and have a budget of £200 ish. I would prefer to buy second hand as better value for money. I have been told that I won't go far wrong with a Specialized Allez but any other advice would be much appreciated. I am not going to be able to get out too often as other family commitments so not worth going crazy with the spec.

On that budget it is difficult, but halfords start their Carrera range about starting £250. I bought a bike for my daughter a carrrea subway for her commute to college, once my husband who is a bike machinic, tighten the things the shop forgot, he and I was impressed with the spec for the money and a really solid bike. As for second hand bike I don't know what to suggest, most high end bikes hold a reasonable value second hand. The main thing about a bike for comfort is the fit, of course the more you spend the lighter they get.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've bought a couple of bikes second hand and not had an issue. One from a friend and one from a Facebook ad. G-Whizz are good, you'll pay top money for a second hand bike from them, but you'll have backup for aftercare for a long time. Quick search on Facebook and the likes of this is available: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/268878083760430/

Another route, is to go on some bike club Facebook pages, like Brighton Excelsior, Brighton Mitre, post on their group that you are looking for a road bike, you may get good advice or someone selling.

There are also some great articles regarding buying a bike on a budget. Reviewing new bikes at the £500 - 600 mark might give you a good idea of what will be available second hand at around £200.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
I'd defo go with an allez, it was my first 'real' bike and I still use it regularly today. I don't know what your budget is but do not go for the cheapest one, nor the full carbon (i think there is one). I would say the spec is almost more important, so: a allez with a 105 groupset would probably be ideal for you

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
G-Whizz are excellent ... well worth a visit and a conversation with them about what you need + theyre not biased and they wont give you a hard sell + their aftercare is excellent

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
First bit of advice is that they're referred to as "road" bikes now, not racing bikes/racers. Just saying so the bike shop assistant doesn't get all snobby with you.

Specialized Allez is a good shout, it's probably one of the most popular entry level road bikes around.

Mar 26, 2008
Eastbourne
Many thanks all for the advice. I will keep an eye out for the Giant Defy alongside the Allez and will pop into G-Whizz next time I am over that way although the e-bay and facebook prices look more competitive even if they come with some risk.

Now off to find out what a 105 build means :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Many thanks all for the advice. I will keep an eye out for the Giant Defy alongside the Allez and will pop into G-Whizz next time I am over that way although the e-bay and facebook prices look more competitive even if they come with some risk.

Now off to find out what a 105 build means :)

Well, Shimano (the well known fishing tackle brand) produce groupsets at different levels of cost, cheapest to most expensive:
Claris
Sora
Tiagra
Ultegra
Dura-ace

There are sub levels within some of the sets, but that is the breakdown. A 105 build is therefore considered a good quality groupset. A lot of it comes down to weight and the engineering going into the components. I've had Tiagra through to Ultegra and they all work fine, you might notice a slightly smoother change between sets, but nothing to worry about. I know a few cyclists who do thousands of miles per year and have Claris on their winter bikes who are fine with it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

I bought my first road bike from decathlon nearly 5 years ago - still using it, still loving it! They do road bikes very well, especially at the entry-level price point.

Well, Shimano (the well known fishing tackle brand) produce groupsets at different levels of cost, cheapest to most expensive:
Claris
Sora
Tiagra
Ultegra
Dura-ace

There are sub levels within some of the sets, but that is the breakdown. A 105 build is therefore considered a good quality groupset. A lot of it comes down to weight and the engineering going into the components. I've had Tiagra through to Ultegra and they all work fine, you might notice a slightly smoother change between sets, but nothing to worry about. I know a few cyclists who do thousands of miles per year and have Claris on their winter bikes who are fine with it.

My bike has shimano sora, and it never misses a beat. I wouldn't worry about 105 for a first road bike.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Claris
Sora
Tiagra
Ultegra
Dura-ace

Sturmy Archer 3 speed hub on my winter bike

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here