Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prague

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Only use AAA (Bright yellow) taxis. You can phone them, and they will tell you how much your trip will be.
Its worth getting 3 day travel pass. Trams run all night, and the pass covers all of Prague. Metro, trams and buses...and venicular railway.
Tram 22 from Narodni Divadlo (opposite Slava Cafe by bridge) takes you up to the castle back door. Its always better to walk down.
Petrin hill on the castle side of the river has venicular railway to the top. Great views, and a beer garden
Eat and drink away from the center. You wont find any Czech people partying in the center except in a few places. Mostly
they party away from the center. Andel, Zizkov, Vinohrady. As a Czech colleague put it, all the cooks in Prague train at the same cookery school, so the food is as good in the center as it is on the outskirts.

Strahov monastry up on the hill near the castle makes its own beer, but theres more bars than you can shake a stick at.
Karlstejn castle where they used to keep the crown jewels is about a 35 min train trip out of Prague.

For an italian meal thats of reasonable prices with fantastic views, theres is a boat opposite the castle, Grossetti or Grossetto..Its by Jan Palach square Best views of the castle you will find whilst eating.

There is big mall in Namesti Republiky (Paladium) big food hall upstairs on top floor with all the usual McD, BurgerKing, KFC, Lebanese, Indian, Chinese food etc at reasonable prices.
If I think of anything else during the day, ill send you pm.
Let me know what sort of music, food and bars you favour.
Had some mates who visited Karlstejn ,loved the place .They even got to see TJ Karlstejn play ,level 8 of Czech football.

theboybilly

I went a fortnight ago and loved it. It's true about the graffiti (it just makes some of the lovely architecture look shabby) We only had 72 hours so not much time to venture too far. The Old Town Square is great......something always going on. Segways everywhere too. The Jewish Cemetery and the adjoining synagogue are humbling. I can't wait to go back in the New Year. I could have eaten the goulash in a bowl of bread each of those three days - tasty. Beer is cheap even in the touristy bits by UK standards and there are some really stunning beers too. We paid 800Kr ((£20-25) for a little horse and carriage tour, it didn't go too far but was nice enough.
Wenceslas Square is mainly run-of-the-mill stores and fast food but there is a little food market at the bottom....and it's a 10-minute stroll from the to the Old Town. Lots of free Wi-fi (why can't we do this so well?)
Some of the women are stunning.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Don't really mind, we both eat pretty much anything, i think we'd probably prefer some local cuisine, and obviously some places that will be memorable, nice views etc
I appreciate your help.

http://www.grosseto.cz/marina/galerie
Italian but you wont get better views. Its along from Charles bridge almost opposite the castle over the river. Jan Palach Square. Decent prices as well!

http://lokal-dlouha.ambi.cz/cz/
Off the old down square. Name of the road is Dlouha. Czech classics. Ive only been there a couple of times, and its been ok, but ive heard Czechs moan about it.

Theres hundreds of places to eat ok tbh. There seems to be a class of restaurant here between Cafe and Restaurant Portions tend to be enormous.
Many of the pubs also sell food.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
http://www.grosseto.cz/marina/galerie
Italian but you wont get better views. Its along from Charles bridge almost opposite the castle over the river. Jan Palach Square. Decent prices as well!

http://lokal-dlouha.ambi.cz/cz/
Off the old down square. Name of the road is Dlouha. Czech classics. Ive only been there a couple of times, and its been ok, but ive heard Czechs moan about it.

Theres hundreds of places to eat ok tbh. There seems to be a class of restaurant here between Cafe and Restaurant Portions tend to be enormous.
Many of the pubs also sell food.
You sir are a gent ! If you're near the Hotel Paris and fancy a beer, give me a shout !

grumpyoldgit

Mar 29, 2012
Went there last week for five days, what a lovely place, if you get time try and book the sandemans free walking tour you tip them at the end if you've enjoyed it so they tend to put more effort in, the girl we had was very amusing. Don't think you'll have time but went to the zoo as well which is huge and very reasonable, have a great time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Communism Museum is worth a visit just to see how brave people were given half the country were Stasi informers.

And don't forget to look in the couple of shops with football club Russian Dolls - I bought the Brighton one for around £20 and from large to small Mackail-Smith, Buckley, Barnes, Calderon and Greer so given that was 2012 quite please two are still current players.

Here is the thread we even had a quiz about it.....

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?262609-BHAFC-Russian-Dolls-Quiz&highlight=Russian+Dolls

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You sir are a gent ! If you're near the Hotel Paris and fancy a beer, give me a shout !

Supposed to be nice place. Looks nice from the outside, art noveau I think. Youre right next to Namesti Republiky and the main mall. (Palladium). You never know, I go there to Marks for my TBags!
Clothes are expensive here, so you may want to steer missus clear of the place. Youre close to the Municipal house (art nouveau again) and medieval tower which is worth a few pictures on its own. Youre also next to Old Town square a couple of hundred yards away. Good location.
All the souvenir shops do pretty much the same crap. See one, you have seen them all, but like somebody said, some have the Russian doll football teams etc. Remember seeing them last in last stretch from old town square to Charles bridge.

Last edited:

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
With stag do drink taken, seem to vaguely recall being steered into some kind of multi-storey club at the town end of the big bridge. Top night!

We went to this club a few years back, had about 5 floors for different music tastes, must have been good as I recall going there 3 days running mainly because it was central and close to our hotel.
Get merry before going in as has been mentioned drinks were a con in there
Can't go wrong with any restaurant there really, local cuisine like beef stew and dumplings was well nice
Went to bars off the side roads near the castle,these were much cheaper than in the main town and good views down to the river
All in all though all pretty reasonable wherever we went, on holiday so live for the moment
Remember going to a strip joint whilst over there, saw a Sven lookalike in this gaff and to this day still think it was him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here