Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Well done Frank Lampard

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No, not for beating Manchester United which is, of course, highly commendable, but for playing a full strength side in a much-derided competition when promotion from the Championship is the key objective for his club this season (we've all been there)...

"It was the easiest selection I have had, the players were superb against Brentford and they deserved the chance to play at Old Trafford. I wanted to bring a team who could really compete. I am so proud of them."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We'll see if he still says the same if Derby miss out on promotion at the end of the season, with key players 'over-tired'.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We'll see if he still says the same if Derby miss out on promotion at the end of the season, with key players 'over-tired'.

Imploding after Christmas is "The Derby Way" and I, for one, can not wait.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
When we are looking quite comfortable in mid table, I will hope CH takes the same approach for the FA Cup. I know we went quite far in that competition last year by the way.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yep, two or three extra games in the autumn will make them knackered come April and May. They really should be on overtime if they want them to play more than 90 minutes a week to earn their money.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Wise minds think alike, Bozza. As posted on the Cup thread...

"Hang on Frank.
Aren't Derby in a Championship playoff spot?
Surely you don't want any meaningless Cup distractions other than focusing on getting into the promised land that is the Premier League?"

(Just preparing the ground for the FA Cup 3rd Round draw in December and discussions on Albion team selections...)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Imploding after Christmas is "The Derby Way" and I, for one, can not wait.
It's almost guaranteed. However I'd take Derby storming to the title if it meant that Leeds finished 7th again.

I love The Championship when we're not in it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why exactly does Fat Frank playing a full strength team at Old Trafford warrant praise? Or is this another subtle dig at Hughton

Because almost every side in the Premier League and the top half of the Championship does not play a full-strength side in this competition until Wembley is within touching distance.

Because fans spending their time and money to follow their clubs deserve to see a full-strength side.

Because the League Cup has become almost farcical with teams changing nearly their whole XI, if not their whole XI.

Because "concentrating on the League".
[tweet]910256000820809728[/tweet]

Because harvesting loyalty points became a thing.
[tweet]910239847738220545[/tweet]

Stuff like that.

It's no more a dig at Hughton than any other manager who pay lip service to this once proud competition, and the FA Cup for that matter.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'd be tweeting it if that were the case, even if clicks onto NSC earns nowhere near as much as, oh I don't know, Football Whispers to pick a site at random...
Don't rise to people posting incorrect stuff about you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wise minds think alike, Bozza. As posted on the Cup thread...

"Hang on Frank.
Aren't Derby in a Championship playoff spot?
Surely you don't want any meaningless Cup distractions other than focusing on getting into the promised land that is the Premier League?"

(Just preparing the ground for the FA Cup 3rd Round draw in December and discussions on Albion team selections...)

Not really my mind, being honest. I was walking the dog on the Downs this evening listening to 5Live when the team sheets came in, and they commented on how unusual it was for a promotion-chasing Championship side to play a full strength side in a game like this.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"I am trying to build a group to be successful and nights like this are incredible."

Winning a shootout in front of United's Stretford End is always going to be remembered by fans and players in years to come.

Well done, Frank. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I like Frank. Always have. Would make a great Brighton manager in years to come.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If they were playing away at Barnet or somewhere then totally agree. But this is a match at a huge ground and is a bit different. Expect most of the players would view the two scenarios differently.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The belief Derby will get from that result cannot be under-estimated. 8 great penalties, 7 of them the keeper didn't even touch, the kids leading the way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It does also bring into sharp focus our league 'form'.
We have basically beaten a mid-table championship side, and dropped points in all our Premier League matches. :jester:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here