Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] San Fran/Oakland, Vegas, Reno/Tahoe & San Diego

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Im in SF area 18th Oct-23rd so if coincides with your visit and u fancy meeting up PM me and we can try and sort something out! Ill obv be watching the Toon game somewhere or at my appartment(AirBnb sorted now!) and obv welcome to come round for that!! Or if its an organised ride let me know the details and I can get down and cheer u off!! Not sure of exact Tahoe dates yet but let me know when u arrive there and maybe give u another cheer!!

We only booked our flights 5-6 weeks before our trip and SF hotels were ridiculously expensive then so I just kept an eye out. Prices came down closer to our stay and I only booked it a few days before we needed somewhere. Hotwire and Priceline both do "opaque" hotels, where you're not given the specific hotel you will be staying in but commit to, say, a 4* Union Square West hotel for $200 a night. Once you pay you are told which hotel it is.

In most cases you'd probably be happy with any hotel meeting that criteria but, if not, you can generally work it out from the details they give you on the hotel facilities and TripAdvisor ratings etc. On this occasion Hotwire listed four hotels and said it was one of the four, and based on the facilities they said the hotel had I was able to eliminate the other three and had high confidence it was going to be the Hilton Union Square.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
If you're doing Reno/Tahoe then look at visiting Ely, Elko, Virginia City, Genoa, Lamoille Valley. There are some beautiful places in Northern Nevada.

If you'd like some maps or a Nevada state visitors guide send a PM and ill ship some out to you.

For LA, I always stay in Santa Monica, the accommodation isn't the cheapest but you dont need car hire for the city, 15 mins to LAX and you can get the metro to and from LA's biggest tourist spots, like Hollywood, BHills or even Universal.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I love San Fran and GF lives there hence why going but Ive heard bad things recently about it with loads of homeless on streets due to the Fentinal(?) debarcle over there.

And from hotel research Ive done its still fking expensive!! Like £150 a night up for a bed in hostel dorm!! Think Im AirBnbing it in Oakland for 3-4nights after a treat of first night in downtown hotel!!

Flight prices silly cheap at mo!!

Flights need to cheap unless you have deep pockets. Cali is so expensive especially with a depleted GBP, the US used to cheap but not anymore

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If you are driving from Vegas to south lake Tahoe via death valley (totally recommend) then you will travel through a small town called Big Pine. There's a huge sign says bbq, decided to stop and it is a little shack with no indoor seating and a few tables outside. I was waiting for my lunch and the owner came over from the bbq and said, "it's your lucky day"and gave me tri-tip rib that just melted in my mouth. I was sitting next to two strangers who had travelled 100 miles to eat here and I found out that this shack had been voted the no.1 restaurant in the whole of the USA! If you're anywhere near here stop!

https://la.eater.com/2017/6/13/15793796/copper-top-bbq-big-pine-road-trip-photos

With regard Alcatraz, you can buy tickets on the day but get there early. Strangely, I did this and they said they had run out, they only keep about 100 by, but was told I can buy for the next day. Another must see.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Thoroughly enjoyed San Diego, stayed at the Scripps Inn in La Jolla which I can recommend but I've got a horrible feeling its gone more upmarket than it was when I stayed there 20 years ago (with the commensurate price hike)!
San Fran is a great city and re. safety, you just need to steer clear of certain areas - no different to any city in that respect. Best thing to do in San Fran is hire a bike down on the waterfront, cycle over the bridge to Sausalito and get the ferry back to SF

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
We only booked our flights 5-6 weeks before our trip and SF hotels were ridiculously expensive then so I just kept an eye out. Prices came down closer to our stay and I only booked it a few days before we needed somewhere. Hotwire and Priceline both do "opaque" hotels, where you're not given the specific hotel you will be staying in but commit to, say, a 4* Union Square West hotel for $200 a night. Once you pay you are told which hotel it is.

In most cases you'd probably be happy with any hotel meeting that criteria but, if not, you can generally work it out from the details they give you on the hotel facilities and TripAdvisor ratings etc. On this occasion Hotwire listed four hotels and said it was one of the four, and based on the facilities they said the hotel had I was able to eliminate the other three and had high confidence it was going to be the Hilton Union Square.

Cheers Bozza! I actually typed out a PM asking exactly that but your inbox was full!

I guess you had a good experience through Hotwire but I did a search and some saying that they have been let down by them!! Have u used other times as well? Im probably going to give it a shot anyway as the prices look amazing and try and pay via Paypal so Ive got the refund option should it go belly up!!

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
If you're doing Reno/Tahoe then look at visiting Ely, Elko, Virginia City, Genoa, Lamoille Valley. There are some beautiful places in Northern Nevada.

If you'd like some maps or a Nevada state visitors guide send a PM and ill ship some out to you.

For LA, I always stay in Santa Monica, the accommodation isn't the cheapest but you dont need car hire for the city, 15 mins to LAX and you can get the metro to and from LA's biggest tourist spots, like Hollywood, BHills or even Universal.

Thks for tips & offer mate much appreciated.....PM incoming! Hoping not to go to LA(unless GF wants to!) as I cant stand it!!

If you are driving from Vegas to south lake Tahoe via death valley (totally recommend) then you will travel through a small town called Big Pine. There's a huge sign says bbq, decided to stop and it is a little shack with no indoor seating and a few tables outside. I was waiting for my lunch and the owner came over from the bbq and said, "it's your lucky day"and gave me tri-tip rib that just melted in my mouth. I was sitting next to two strangers who had travelled 100 miles to eat here and I found out that this shack had been voted the no.1 restaurant in the whole of the USA! If you're anywhere near here stop!

https://la.eater.com/2017/6/13/15793796/copper-top-bbq-big-pine-road-trip-photos

With regard Alcatraz, you can buy tickets on the day but get there early. Strangely, I did this and they said they had run out, they only keep about 100 by, but was told I can buy for the next day. Another must see.

Not decided if driving or flying yet but will add to the list as I love a BBQ shack!! Thks mate!

Thoroughly enjoyed San Diego, stayed at the Scripps Inn in La Jolla which I can recommend but I've got a horrible feeling its gone more upmarket than it was when I stayed there 20 years ago (with the commensurate price hike)!
San Fran is a great city and re. safety, you just need to steer clear of certain areas - no different to any city in that respect. Best thing to do in San Fran is hire a bike down on the waterfront, cycle over the bridge to Sausalito and get the ferry back to SF

Will have a butchers at Scripps thks mate! Im not going to spend a load of time Downtown as Ive booked an Oakland AirBnB so prob chill round there but will obv avoid Tenderloin area and the like!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cheers Bozza! I actually typed out a PM asking exactly that but your inbox was full!

I guess you had a good experience through Hotwire but I did a search and some saying that they have been let down by them!! Have u used other times as well? Im probably going to give it a shot anyway as the prices look amazing and try and pay via Paypal so Ive got the refund option should it go belly up!!

I've used both Hotwire and Priceline for hotels both in the UK and abroad and never had an issue. I'm not sure in what way they could let you down unless you are disappointed with the final hotel you get, but if you do research and/or go 4* or higher, there should be a very limited chance of that happening. Both companies are very large and well-established.

BetterBidding.com - https://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=431 - can help you identify a hotel too, either by what others have had before, or by you asking for help.

Have a quick search for Hotwire promo codes too - there's always some knocking about.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
I've used both Hotwire and Priceline for hotels both in the UK and abroad and never had an issue. I'm not sure in what way they could let you down unless you are disappointed with the final hotel you get, but if you do research and/or go 4* or higher, there should be a very limited chance of that happening. Both companies are very large and well-established.

BetterBidding.com - https://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=431 - can help you identify a hotel too, either by what others have had before, or by you asking for help.

Have a quick search for Hotwire promo codes too - there's always some knocking about.

Thks mate!! I think the bad reviews were turning up to hotel and no room booked!! But if a man like Bozza recommends thats good enough for me!!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
If you’re a risk taker and want a contrast to the US, when you’re in SAN Diego pop over the border to Tijuana

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
If you’re a risk taker and want a contrast to the US, when you’re in SAN Diego pop over the border to Tijuana

I will be but pass straight through it on way down to Baja!! Thats reason for heading to SD so can hop into Mexico with GF for Christmas!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here