Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
don't know if it's come up in the rest of the thread as don't have time to go through it all but I always like the 'Argos' approach some McDonalds have where you pay for food at a terminal and then queue to collect it - would that work in this instance? Especially if you could streamline it so that instead of using a terminal you could use an app and order from your seat :thumbsup:

Is it April 1st already? :)

The clueless entity that is Sodexo (managers and staff) struggle to fill an order for 4 pints of Harvey's whilst the 'customer' is there helping them count-can you imagine the chaos if they have to start matching orders with customers who have pre-paid?

Remember that this is a catering company who has 1 pump for Harvey's (WSL Centre), leaving 1 pump out of use. They appear to be pouring to order rather than have people pre-pouring.

They simply wouldn't be able to cope.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The clueless entity that is Sodexo (managers and staff) struggle to fill an order for 4 pints of Harvey's whilst the 'customer' is there helping them count-can you imagine the chaos if they have to start matching orders with customers who have pre-paid?

Remember that this is a catering company who has 1 pump for Harvey's (WSL Centre), leaving 1 pump out of use. They appear to be pouring to order rather than have people pre-pouring.

The thing to keep bearing in mind is that it's only the club's catering turnover that is suffering. They lose that sale, it's gone forever. Every single 'customer' has multiple catering options both before and after the game away from the stadium. If the club can't raise their catering game for that brief window of opportunity they have to take the money we would happily pay but for the stupidly long slow queues, then y'know, f*ck *em, it's their loss :wave:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The thing to keep bearing in mind is that it's only the club's catering turnover that is suffering. They lose that sale, it's gone forever. Every single 'customer' has multiple catering options both before and after the game away from the stadium. If the club can't raise their catering game for that brief window of opportunity they have to take the money we would happily pay but for the stupidly long slow queues, then y'know, f*ck *em :wave:

I have stopped buying 'food' at The Amex because of the declining quality and also the ballache it is trying to spend money with the club. After driving from Guildford (especially evening games) I want something to eat. I stop at M&S Services at Patcham now, grab a sandwich and a coffee. I'm only 1 person but there must be a growing number doing the same.

Ah well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The thing to keep bearing in mind is that it's only the club's catering turnover that is suffering. They lose that sale, it's gone forever. Every single 'customer' has multiple catering options both before and after the game away from the stadium. If the club can't raise their catering game for that brief window of opportunity they have to take the money we would happily pay but for the stupidly long slow queues, then y'know, f*ck *em, it's their loss :wave:

At a guess not sure if it will directly affect the club. I'd imagine they tendered, receive a sum from Sodexo for running it and possible share of revenue. The club should still obviously be concerned though of course..

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Can't believe the club are not on a share of the turnover, therefore every lost customer is lost revenue. I understand the club monitors this board, hopefully they will chew on some of this feedback

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The pies can be a bit of a lottery these days. Partially it's Sodexo's fault because they now cram loads of them into the racks which causes them to be kept at different temperatures. The ones at the bottom get incinerated because they're left there until the end and the ones on top go a bit soggy because there's not enough heat. They also get put in sideways which Piglets said wasn't supposed to happen when the stadium first opened. I think some of them get a bit flattened which is why they sometimes appear smaller.
When they were in the boxes they were completely protected and had to be stored in the same way so were more uniform.

However, I've had two beef pies so far - one of them contained 4 big lumps of steak. The other only had one so it's a big difference, I'd imagine with the mass production they're not taking as much care with the filling as they used to. [MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION] commented that his was a bit vinegary, I actually quite liked that but they need to be careful not to over do it. It tasted like there's a layer of pickled onion on top of the beef, the recipe has been tweaked this season without a doubt.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Piglets Pies use the same suppliers, the pies are the same size, and they use the same ingredients as when they launched with the Albion in 2011*

*unless you think they're lying.

As someone who worked there last week - 100% this.

They've also moved to new premises in the past year - about ten times bigger than their previous one, as the cater for 11 football clubs (and rising - they've just taken on Spurs this past week or so), plus a number of international cricket and rugby grounds.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As someone who worked there last week - 100% this.

They've also moved to new premises in the past year - about ten times bigger than their previous one, as the cater for 11 football clubs (and rising - they've just taken on Spurs this past week or so), plus a number of international cricket and rugby grounds.

And this is the critical time for them to ensure they get consistency in their operation. They need as much if not more attention to detail than when they just had the Albion

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
And this is the critical time for them to ensure they get consistency in their operation. They need as much if not more attention to detail than when they just had the Albion

I'd be happy enough to tell you that they do. They don't have the attitude of 'ooh, we have a new customer, let's only focus on getting their pies and pastries right'. Watching them in action, they take great pride in getting all the product right. To those who believe that the recipe has changed, I'd be telling them that;s not the case (unless - as Jem alludes to - they're lying).

They do do occasional factory tours. If you want to know how the pies are done, ask them.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
To those who believe that the recipe has changed, I'd be telling them that;s not the case (unless - as Jem alludes to - they're lying).

They do do occasional factory tours. If you want to know how the pies are done, ask them.

The tweet that Jem posted is nearly a year old, the steak pies have been the same for the last couple of seasons but they're ever so slightly different this season. It would be interesting to know if it's deliberate or not.

Just to back up my theory, one of my mates thought it was different as well and said it to me unprompted after one bite, we both have a pie at pretty much every home game. I think there's more onion, in the two pies I've had in two different games both had a layer of onion sitting on top of the meat. I didn't detect any difference in the meat or gravy. Something has changed and if it's not the recipe then it's the way the ingredients are added together.

I like it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Fair enough :)

On the occasions I am able to go to the football I don't usually buy food or drink so was unaware what the general level of service was :)

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
The tweet that Jem posted is nearly a year old, the steak pies have been the same for the last couple of seasons but they're ever so slightly different this season. It would be interesting to know if it's deliberate or not.

They are VERY noticeably different. Of course it's deliberate. They now contain half the meat, which has been replaced with onions and carrot. The steak was a real treat for me at every game and my pie of choice, but sadly they're now not to my taste at all (far to sweet/bitter) and I have subsequently switched to the chicken.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I visited Piglets a few months ago. Simply lovely people working hard to build a business the right way.

They showed me around their premises and every stage of the production process which is remarkably manual, but that's how they like it as it produces better pies. If they say they've not changed the recipe in any way, I'd have no hesitation in believing them.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Jem, assuming you've sampled a few steak pies in the past you should try one at the next game and see if you think it's changed.

In the two I've had so far you get a definite hit of acidity that didn't used to be there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
5 years and completely unchanged recipe? doesnt seem very likely. i recall last year, possibly year before me and friends all tucked into first pie of the season and said it was different. nothing wrong with it, but a bit different. the tweet says they are "still making the same way"... not that they have exactly the same recipe.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
They keep saying they aren't.

Here they are confirming today in case the previous tweet from last season doesn't suffice.

[tweet]766322920973099008[/tweet]

Myself, my old man and several of the guys around me all agreed chap. They're a different recipe. Notice I said they're not to my taste. I'm not suggesting that Piglets have sold out or dulled down their recipes or are cutting corners etc, just a changed recipe, BUT I will say that in order to give way to the vegetables that are now included in the Steak pie there is less meat.

You don't eat them do you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Jem, assuming you've sampled a few steak pies in the past you should try one at the next game and see if you think it's changed.

In the two I've had so far you get a definite hit of acidity that didn't used to be there.
That'll be more onions.......coincidentally a bit cheaper than beef....

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
That'll be more onions.......coincidentally a bit cheaper than beef....

I don't think there were ever any vegetables in the steak pie. It was always full of meat and thick gravy. (Ashamedly I consume one almost every game) There is now a lot of carrot and onion and the taste has changed a LOT. It's a fact I am afraid. It's not the same pie, that's how much it has changed. The gravy is bitter and not to my taste at all. I didn't even finish it. I handed it to my mate. I couldn't. I went from loving it, to hating it and switching to the chicken. How can you(Jem/Bozza) argue with that?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here