Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where are you on the UK fat scale?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Exactly this for me. I am a complete fatbastard 25.1. I need to lose nearly 2lb to be “healthy”.

Actually carrying at least half a stone more than I’d like after a few weeks off running with a niggle, then exacerbated by two weeks on holiday eating and drinking for England.

BTW im 24.8. You fat *******. :whistle:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
21 BMI for me, which is healthy.

Apparently 72% of men in the North East (where I live) are overweight or obese.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am overweight (not obese) yes, although I have lost over 6lbs in the last 6 weeks on the 5:2 diet. BMI takes no account of the fat percentage of the body and sports people can appear overweight due to their muscle.

The difference between waist and hip measurements is more accurate.
https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/articles/health/alternatives-to-bmi.php

I also have an autoimmune disease and Hashimotos disease which affects my metabolism. I do eat healthily but have to be more careful than most as I can put weight on just by eating normally.

Fair play.

But I think it’s wrong to say BMI is flawed. It is what it is; an easy measurement to take and which, on its own, is nothing more than a guide. You need to consider other factors and measurements. Similarly heart rate doesn’t mean much on its own. Throw in systolic and diastolic and you have a much better heart assessment. Even then you’d still need an ECG to get a fuller picture.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Fair play.

But I think it’s wrong to say BMI is flawed. It is what it is; an easy measurement to take and which, on its own, is nothing more than a guide. You need to consider other factors and measurements. Similarly heart rate doesn’t mean much on its own. Throw in systolic and diastolic and you have a much better heart assessment. Even then you’d still need an ECG to get a fuller picture.

As I said in my next post, my GP nor consultant rheumatologist bother with the 'easy measurement'. There are many other factors, such as age, gender body fat ratio etc.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Your BMI is 20.8 which is in the healthy category.
Your BMI is lower than the average of 27.9 for a man in your age group (35-44) in England. About 69% of men in your age group in England are overweight, obese or very obese.
In all parts of the UK, the majority of the adult population is overweight, obese or very obese, according to the latest national surveys. In the South East, the figure is about 62% of men.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
See above (another fatty?)

As a rough guide it'll do I suppose.

As a measurement to announce to large numbers of the populace that they are “overweight” and thereby at a much higher risk of succumbing to all manner of life threatening diseases....it remains a load of old bollox I'm afraid, and very much flawed.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
There's quite a few factors at play here. I'm short for my weight, I'm predominantly lazy, also I gave up smoking and took up eating and drinking.
I've cracked the smoking craving thing now, next to turn this party seven into a six pack.....or at least ikea it

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

As a measurement to announce to large numbers of the populace that they are “overweight” and thereby at a much higher risk of succumbing to all manner of life threatening diseases....it remains a load of old bollox I'm afraid, and very much flawed.

Yup. Used with other measures such as cholesterol, BP, hip to waist ratio, an ECG etc it *might* be useful, but on it’s own it can be misleading.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Exactly this for me. I am a complete fatbastard 25.1. I need to lose nearly 2lb to be “healthy”.

Same for me! My missus gets annoyed with me as I quite like cakes, biscuits and butter on my toast - but when I go for a check-up my cholesterol is on the low side.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

To be fair, the majority of the U.K. does not need a BMI to tell them they’re overweight and unhealthy....a cursory glance in the mirror will suffice.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I am overweight (not obese) yes, although I have lost over 6lbs in the last 6 weeks on the 5:2 diet. BMI takes no account of the fat percentage of the body and sports people can appear overweight due to their muscle.

The difference between waist and hip measurements is more accurate.
https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/articles/health/alternatives-to-bmi.php

I also have an autoimmune disease and Hashimotos disease which affects my metabolism. I do eat healthily but have to be more careful than most as I can put weight on just by eating normally.

Well done Thunder bolt. And your right about the calculations... Its an indicator though.

Immune systems have a lot to answer for but you are doing great....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fair play.

It is flawed because it's promoted as the best way of telling if you're overweight and so too many people take it as gospel. It's far too basic. We got a letter from my step daughters school when she was 10 saying she was overweight and that we should do something about it. No account was taken that she had almost finished pubity at that point so was far more developed than many of the girls her age. On top if that shw ate healthly, did dance once a week, swimming lessons once a week, trampolining lessons every week and school PE sessions. Remember this is the system that labelled Jessica Ennis as overweight just before the London Olympics. An utterly unrealistic system and probably does more damage than it does good. Oh, I'm 27.5 but BMI can eff off if they think I'm going to care.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here