Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I suspect a lot would blame Thatcher, but for the wrong reason, she was key to establishing the single market after all. When she was selling it to us, she said, "Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers—visible or invisible—giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the world's wealthiest and most prosperous people.

Bigger than Japan. Bigger than the United States. On your doorstep. And with the Channel Tunnel to give you direct access to it."

But ask people the question, do you think stronger unions could have prevented the temporary wage depression in construction trades? If you get a yes, ask them to work back to where unions started to lose power, you get to Thatcher.

Amusing reading your attempts to pin this on Mrs T.

Baldseagull said:
further education was a Bricklaying apprenticeship, my wages were hit when the accession countries gained access.

Remind me which Prime Minister decided it would be a good idea to place no restrictions on the accession countries citizens coming here to work when numerous other EU countries did ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I won't be trawling the thread looking to catch you out, but use of hyperbole is common to both sides of this argument, are you certain you have not used any? The EU has been described as a dictatiorship, Judges as traitors etc.

But those are opinions, maybe extreme ones but no more than opinion, saying there is a current recession, or that the economy is crashing is not the same, it's quantifiable.

If you say the markets will crash and the inflation will increase to 10% they are opinions at the time of posting but can then be reasonably revisited to see if they were accurate or not, if you choose to latch on to every negative data set and use it as a stick to beat the UK economy, Brexit and the Tory Party it deserves scrutiny, when it becomes obvious it never happened and those views are repeated multiple times by one or two posters then of course it might be used to disqualify that posters future view, he can post what he wants but might expect a reminder of those previous inaccurate and political driven predictions and rightly loses credibility.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Amusing reading your attempts to pin this on Mrs T.

Remind me which Prime Minister decided it would be a good idea to place no restrictions on the accession countries citizens coming here to work when numerous other EU countries did ?

Tony Blair, and yes that was a mistake. Do you see the pattern here? UK Government actions causing UK issues.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But those are opinions, maybe extreme ones but no more than opinion, saying there is a current recession, or that the economy is crashing is not the same, it's quantifiable.

If you say the markets will crash and the inflation will increase to 10% they are opinions at the time of posting but can then be reasonably revisited to see if they were accurate or not, if you choose to latch on to every negative data set and use it as a stick to beat the UK economy it deserves scrutiny, when it becomes obvious it never happened and it happens multiple times to one or two posters then of course it might be used to disqualify that posters future view, he can post what he wants but might expect a reminder of those previous inaccurate and political driven predictions and rightly loses credibility.

The economy may well yet crash, go into recession etc. in which case the poster can be said to have been premature, or not happen at all during this process, in which case you can call them out as wrong, however, the EU is not a dictatorship and Judges applied the law to their decision, not treachery. I would say the examples I gave are worse, in that they were untrue at the time they were said, remain untrue, and are unlikely to ever become true.
Anyway, off to the match, see you there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

If you say the markets will crash and the inflation will increase to 10% they are opinions at the time of posting but can then be reasonably revisited to see if they were accurate or not, if you choose to latch on to every negative data set and use it as a stick to beat the UK economy, Brexit and the Tory Party it deserves scrutiny, when it becomes obvious it never happened and those views are repeated multiple times by one or two posters then of course it might be used to disqualify that posters future view, he can post what he wants but might expect a reminder of those previous inaccurate and political driven predictions and rightly loses credibility.
BigGully as the voice of reason! hilarious!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Would you like to repeat an earlier claim where you said that those absurd posts weren't yours ???
I'm currently working today but I'll give you some homework for you and reply tonight. If the economy is doing so well, your words not mine, please give a single piece of evidence to support that.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm currently working today but I'll give you some homework for you and reply tonight. If the economy is doing so well, your words not mine, please give a single piece of evidence to support that.

You are doing it again, I thought I said the UK economy is 'doing ok', which I guess compared to your previous predictions means you must think its doing bloody brilliantly, not me ???

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve just been catching up on Mays idiotic discussions with Merkel. So, leaving the jurisdiction of ECJ is a red line she won’t cross. But she also wants to remain a member of the EU’s law enforcement arm, Europol, and the European arrest warrant...... but both are policed by the ECJ. Even an idiot can see you can’t therefore be a member of these.

I’m slowly coming round to the idea I’d like her and David to just **** off and stop wasting our time. Just go.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’ve just been catching up on Mays idiotic discussions with Merkel. So, leaving the jurisdiction of ECJ is a red line she won’t cross. But she also wants to remain a member of the EU’s law enforcement arm, Europol, and the European arrest warrant...... but both are policed by the ECJ. Even an idiot can see you can’t therefore be a member of these.

I’m slowly coming round to the idea I’d like her and David to just **** off and stop wasting our time. Just go.

She doesn't believe in Brexit, she didn't vote for Brexit and wouldn't vote for it if asked again. She wants wants to keep all the EU goodies at no cost

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

They are an embarrassment

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm sure you know the difference between voting out a government and voting for a handful of MEP's.

I know you like freedom and taking back control and the democratic will of the majority etc.............

What do you think of this?

[tweet]964804329201852416[/tweet]

I'm sure you're thrilled. Likewise if Scotland or Northern Ireland chose their own path, you would be well happy too, surely?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

is that the case or is that an assumption? as i understand it Europol is not really law enforcement but intelligent sharing, any investigation they do is though and with cooperation of the local national police.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I know you like freedom and taking back control and the democratic will of the majority etc.............

What do you think of this?

[tweet]964804329201852416[/tweet]

I'm sure you're thrilled. Likewise if Scotland or Northern Ireland chose their own path, you would be well happy too, surely?

Rita Ora was born in Kosovo. And the country declared independence 10yrs ago pretty much to the day.

Or am I missing something?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Just to let the thread know that according to today's S Times someone has found 37 (aka "nearly 40") clever people to group together as "Brains for Brexit". So many!

(Sadly they all appear to be experts at one thing or another - theology, a couple of economists and so on - so I suppose we have to ignore them.)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Just to let the thread know that according to today's S Times someone has found 37 (aka "nearly 40") clever people to group together as "Brains for Brexit". So many!

(Sadly they all appear to be experts at one thing or another - theology, a couple of economists and so on - so I suppose we have to ignore them.)

Will be difficult for a movement which is so contemptuous of anyone who actually claims to know anything about anything to know how to utilise such people on their team. Overall this isn't really a surprise when you consider the oil and tobacco companies and the evangelicals have always found academics to deny climate change, ill-effects of smoking, evolution, that guns kill people etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here