Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yesterday’s attendance

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The segregation bits did look smaller, about time too. Still disappointing to see so many empty seats, why wouldn’t the STHs not put them on the exchange if they aren’t able to make it?

It’s ****ing hard work offloading tickets....legally

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Arsenal,Spurs and Man United tickets could sell twice over and should be put on exchange as soon as released

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I have just bought a ticket in the South stand for the Swansea game. I really wanted WSU but none were available and didn't want to risk not getting a ticket at all waiting for the original allocation to sell out for potential WSU's to become available. All tickets should be available at anytime, the customer comes first.............

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Yep, that is the problem, and no clubs seem to have in-house developers. The websites are dross, handled by the same company, and they end up going to shite like Survey Monkey to do their own business. They need an in-house dev or two to sort this out. I won't be using the exchange again when I can't make it.
That's a shame. I managed to get a Bristol City home ticket last year due to an STH using the exchange.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not sure if I posted this before, but it's part of an email sent my Paul Barber to me recently on the subject, and he said I could share if I wish. So, just in case...

"We could have had a fully functioning ticket exchange in place some time ago. Again, as previously explained, there have been two key reasons why it hasn’t been put in place: (1) a lack of demand and (2) business models that wouldn’t have worked for the club – or, more importantly, for fans. Instead, we have developed a simpler system built from scratch that is more cost effective for the club and for fans.

It’s currently clunky and it’s highly manual. But it works - and we promote it when it’s active. It’s been used hundreds of times this season already (as well as on several notable occasions last season). It is however a complete myth to suggest transaction volumes will soar with a more automated exchange or a better financial incentive. It didn’t at Spurs back in my day there - and it doesn’t at other clubs now.

For whatever reason there’s a reluctance amongst some fans to offer their seat for exchange. I really don’t know why. It’s the key reason why the big clubs quickly lost very lucrative deals with viagogo and others in the secondary market within a short space of time – quite simply, those providers couldn’t generate a return on the guarantees they had paid upfront because transaction volumes were too low.

I know that many fans think this is a simple problem to fix. I’m afraid it isn’t. There are three basic business models (and some hybrids):

- the provider pays a big fee to the club - and then owns the club’s secondary ticket market; the provider either allows a “free market” on prices and/or they charge a % to buyer and seller. These deals usually only exist for the biggest clubs (and less so now).

- a hefty license fee is charged to the club for the software. The club can either provide a free or fixed market for re-sale pricing (and takes a % of the transaction value if it is above face value) or, more common, it charges fees to buyers and/or sellers.

- the club works with a provider to develop its own exchange, imposes conditions on sale (e.g. to buy you must be a club member to minimise potential security issues) thereby limiting flexibility to a degree but also limiting costs to fans as far as is possible too.

Clearly, a simpler more flexible system will help but the vast majority of PL clubs still experience up to 10% of “no shows” every week. That’s a lot of empty seats every game. And, yes, we are as frustrated as those fans that see the empty seats - and those fans that want to get access to them. It’s a topic of regular debate amongst clubs – and it has been for years. But we can’t re-sell what we don’t get back!

Finally, we have refined the current clunky ticket exchange to make it easier for us to activate and, more importantly, so it will be easier for fans. Unfortunately, the delay is not us “breaking our promise”, it is a complex payment system issue that has much wider commercial repercussions for us to fix at this particular time. Once resolved, it will be a better system that returns cash to fans not vouchers.

In summary, those that want to use the current ticket exchange, clunky and inflexible as it is, are doing so – and some, regularly. It doesn’t ever make sense to activate a ticket exchange when you have tickets left to sell. We can only promote it when its activated because it is a waste of time and resource to pre-list tickets when the exchange might not get activated, hence the long-awaited upgrade."

An honest and clear explanation by PB.

Interesting about the 10% no-shows. For our weekend non-televised games, I reckon our % would be far lower than that at the moment, simply by looking around the stadium.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Been here before, will be here again, but bears repeating...

Club know how many people bought tickets i.e. the amount of revenue due to the taxman.

Club knows full well how many people actually clicked through the turnstiles.

It's an insult to the intelligence to formally announce tickets sold as attendance as opposed to people clicking through the turnstiles. One's a statutory requirement to the taxman, one's a courtesy to those who actually turned up on the day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Been here before, will be here again, but bears repeating...

Club know how many people bought tickets i.e. the amount of revenue due to the taxman.

Club knows full well how many people actually clicked through the turnstiles.

It's an insult to the intelligence to formally announce tickets sold as attendance as opposed to people clicking through the turnstiles. One's a statutory requirement to the taxman, one's a courtesy to those who actually turned up on the day.

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that Pretendance = Attendance is a Premier League rule.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Coz they don’t know about it.
The exchange page is very basic and even looks a bit spammy.
The exchange page can’t be accessed from some Apple devices.
You can’t put tickets on the exchange until it sells out, often a few days before and after those who can’t go may have already left on their holiday or to partake in whatever it is that’s preventing them from going.
You are never told if your seat has sold
Some don’t value the £25 shop voucher (less if a concession)

All above are genuine reasons but I can say with some certaintly that mainly it’s the first point

I was hoping to be back in time from my skiing holiday. Alas our flight was delayed. But you can add that to a very good list of reasons.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that Pretendance = Attendance is a Premier League rule.

Don't doubt you're right. But both figures should be publicly available for all sorts of reasons. Instead of one being a dirty secret.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

All very interesting but if Barber has a weakness it is that because of his experience at here and Spurs nothing can be improved. Spurs,Man united and Arsenal could sell twice over so as soon as released should be put on exchange. I get so many emails with store offers and corporate offers but none about ticket exchange. How hard is it to email season ticket holders saying x game looks like selling out so if you cant go please put on exchange. Am sure so many dont even know about it.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
When we were at the Huddersfield game before Christmas the announcer was really pushing the ticket exchange so they could fill the place for the following Chelsea game. They are a similar sized club to our with a similar setup but the big difference there is that they actually tell people when the exchange is open and not hope that ST people might check on the off chance they can resell their tickets.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

However, as he goes to great lengths to explain that there’s no demand, why does the club so vigorously try to ban anyone who finds their own buyer?

It’s clearly too much hassle for the club to organise it properly, so just leave it to us to sort it out ourselves!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’m a season ticket holder and know there’s a game in April I can’t make. Seems bonkers I can’t let the club know now so they can resell my ticket. Instead I have to wait to see if it sells out and then try to find the survey monkey link to trigger the exchange. This is where the system is especially lacking, should be able to do exchange in advance and regardless of if it is a sell out or not.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Great to see another over 35500. From my vantange point in the ESL it looked like a smaller than usual segreagtion area between S1F and S1G. Sure in the past is has been 5 columns but looked less, maybe just 3?

WHU-0004.jpg
]
The new lights produce too much glare both for my eyes and photographs with my pocket cameras.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here