Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich fan on Hughton

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The problem for me is we arent playing the same style of football that took us up last year.

After going 1-0 up Wednesday night we should have gone at them for a second but instead we just sat back and it eventually cost us. very frustrating to watch and not only that very dull to watch.

It is so different. The last 2 seasons we counter attacked from start to finish, scoring hatfuls of goals.

I would imagine that because PL opposing players and systems are simply that much better, CH has had to resort to the cautious approach, otherwise we'd be taken apart by those better players/teams.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It is so different. The last 2 seasons we counter attacked from start to finish, scoring hatfuls of goals.

I would imagine that because PL opposing players and systems are simply that much better, CH has had to resort to the cautious approach, otherwise we'd be taken apart by those better players/teams.

This is my take on it too. Of course, I still completely trust NSH (No Subs Hughton) but it does get very infuriating at times to see us play so conservatively.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agree with both, a fully fresh team can compete but most pundits were saying our players will never be able to put in a career/season defining performance every game and that we've be spent by January without reinforcements.

The PL is much harder and faster. We're still in it, which no more or less than anyone sane would have expected in August

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Or giving rise to heavier defeats, or draws turned into losses.

Assuming you're not taking the piss, would you not drop the odd point or ship a few more goals in order to get two extra points in all the winnable games we've spurned? That's before you get on to actually providing a bit of entertainment for the fans, making a contest of games against bigger clubs and all that...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
When did this happen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Norwich_City_F.C._season

Their next match against West Brom was a crucial one, but a poor performance saw them lose by a single goal dragging them closer to the relegation zone. The defeat saw angry scenes after the game with fans chanting for Chris Hughton to be sacked and also saw John Ruddy climb over the barrier to remonstrate with one of the home fans in the Barclay Stand. This result was the final straw for the club board who sacked Chris Hughton along with Colin Calderwood and Paul Trollope and named Neil Adams as his replacement.

They had 5 matches left, lost 4 and had a 0-0 draw in the other.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Assuming you're not taking the piss, would you not drop the odd point or ship a few more goals in order to get two extra points in all the winnable games we've spurned? That's before you get on to actually providing a bit of entertainment for the fans, making a contest of games against bigger clubs and all that...

Easier said than done, with our (pre Locadia and Ulloa) squad.

If we'd gone for the jugular at end of the Bmuff, Stoke and Stains home games for example, there would have been a bloody good chance of being picked off to lose. That really is a typical PL goal, when the opposition over commits.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
would you not drop the odd point or ship a few more goals in order to get two extra points in all the winnable games we've spurned?
Well you wouldn't get an extra 2 in all winnable games, you might get an extra 2 on the odd occasion, and a point less on some others. If the overall points tally would be higher, then obviously that's what I'd prefer we'd done. Hence the poll 'is Hughton too negative?'

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

If we'd gone for the jugular at end of the Bmuff, Stoke and Stains home games for example, there would have been a bloody good chance of being picked off to lose. That really is a typical PL goal, when the opposition over commits.

Fair comment, so let’s suppose we do nick a winner in one, no goals in another but to balance it out, we lose one on the counter. We still end up with an extra point.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Norwich_City_F.C._season

Their next match against West Brom was a crucial one, but a poor performance saw them lose by a single goal dragging them closer to the relegation zone. The defeat saw angry scenes after the game with fans chanting for Chris Hughton to be sacked and also saw John Ruddy climb over the barrier to remonstrate with one of the home fans in the Barclay Stand. This result was the final straw for the club board who sacked Chris Hughton along with Colin Calderwood and Paul Trollope and named Neil Adams as his replacement.

They had 5 matches left, lost 4 and had a 0-0 draw in the other.

Yep lost 1-0 at Fulham to make it 7 consecutive away defeats, 3-2 at home to Liverpool, 4-0 at Man U, then 0-0 at Chelsea confirming relegation before losing at home to arsenal final game.

Quite a comfortable run in tbf especially having taken zero points from the reverse 5 fixtures earlier in the season

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yep lost 1-0 at Fulham to make it 7 consecutive away defeats, 3-2 at home to Liverpool, 4-0 at Man U, then 0-0 at Chelsea confirming relegation before losing at home to arsenal final game.

Quite a comfortable run in tbf especially having taken zero points from the reverse 5 fixtures earlier in the season

I saw the loss at Fulham which effectively doomed them and could be seen as Hughton's revenge. Man of the match by a long way was the Fulham goalkeeper - a certain David Stockdale.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

The problem is how many points have we nicked off the opposition this year and how many we've let behind. IMHO the latter far far exceeds the former.

Eventually , if it hasn't happened already, the team will come to realise we have to be more positive. There's a chance they won't and we get away with it this season but the tactics surely leave us struggling to stay up every season.Don't see it changing even if we manage to build a much better squad.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The problem is how many points have we nicked off the opposition this year and how many we've let behind. IMHO the latter far far exceeds the former.

Eventually , if it hasn't happened already, the team will come to realise we have to be more positive. There's a chance they won't and we get away with it this season but the tactics surely leave us struggling to stay up every season.Don't see it changing even if we manage to build a much better squad.

:yawn:

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
I saw the loss at Fulham which effectively doomed them and could be seen as Hughton's revenge. Man of the match by a long way was the Fulham goalkeeper - a certain David Stockdale.
yep was a much much improved performance - tried to win the game and certainly didn’t deserve to lose

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A win today would be a massive result and the mindset of many, myself included, would probably change. We have been in relegation bound form for a long time now, especially at home. The away results have been much as you would expect from a team new to the Premier League.

It’s got harder but we need to keep faith in CH for the rest of the season. I imagine TB will, not expecting a Norwich scenario from the fans either. Our good start to the season raised expectations too high. Very few of us feel we have the right or the players to stay in this division without a dogfight, CH has clearly not lost the players which is a plus and we haven’t seen heads drop on the pitch too often.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
We have laid the foundations for survival for the remainder of the season although that is no guarantee we will stay up. We are solid in Defense and have brought in attacking options, we now know this division. We have the personnel and management to survive but for me the biggest risk is being too predictable. Courage and a fine balance between attacking and defending and I believe we will survive.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
We have laid the foundations for survival for the remainder of the season although that is no guarantee we will stay up. We are solid in Defense and have brought in attacking options, we now know this division. We have the personnel and management to survive but for me the biggest risk is being too predictable. Courage and a fine balance between attacking and defending and I believe we will survive.
Solid in defence??... sadly one whiff of a corner or free kick anywhere near our box and our much vaunted back 4 seem to revert to Sunday pub league division 5 standard of concentration.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A win today would be a massive result and the mindset of many, myself included, would probably change. We have been in relegation bound form for a long time now, especially at home. The away results have been much as you would expect from a team new to the Premier League.
I don't get this.

The wrong end of a freak result v Chelsea.
Drew with Bournemouth.
Beat Watford
Drew With Burnley
Similar result to Chelsea v Liverpool.
November = undefeated at home :wink:
October = undefeated at home :wink:
September = 100% at home.
August = lost to Man City. Whoop-de-do.

Sure there are too many draws, 2 annoying displays of class, but I don't see the Albion as any more relegation bound than 10 other teams.
I came out of the Chelsea game buoyed, really impressed with the performance and confident this team, with the addition of some firepower, could easily be 'safe' before the shite run in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't get this.

The wrong end of a freak result v Chelsea.
Drew with Bournemouth.
Beat Watford
Drew With Burnley
Similar result to Chelsea v Liverpool.
November = undefeated at home :wink:
October = undefeated at home :wink:
September = 100% at home.
August = lost to Man City. Whoop-de-do.

Sure there are too many draws, 2 annoying displays of class, but I don't see the Albion as any more relegation bound than 10 other teams.
I came out of the Chelsea game buoyed, really impressed with the performance and confident this team, with the addition of some firepower, could easily be 'safe' before the shite run in.

Win today and I will share your enthusiasm. Remind me when we last won at Home, not doing it again very soon is likely to drop us into the bottom 3 imo. Given where we were in late September that would very definitely be relegation form over the last few months.

Anyway I am predicting an uncomfortable nail biting win today :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here