Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How’s Everyone’s Mood Today?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Relaxed.

If there was such a thing as the 'best' fixture for a stinker, it would be the 1st of 38.

But I truly hope that CH acts immediately in team selection. We all know who needs to come in.

Except it was one of those games where 1 or more points was half expected. They're the points we should be aiming for. Yesterday looked pretty aimless in all departments-players, manager, coaching.

Yes, it was the first of 38 but I would be feeling a lot better with at least a point from a fellow 'relegation candidate' as per pre-season predictions.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I still think pre season was not very good , the first team had one game together against Nantes , which was p,aged at half pace , no wonder the team looked unfit , not up to speed yesterday, and did not look like a team

I agree. Too much splitting the squad for two matches in one day and too many games behind closed doors. They should have played one game every few days gradually building up minutes for the first team players as pre-season went on. The back-up players could have got any game time they need by turning out for the under 23’s.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree. Too much splitting the squad for two matches in one day and too many games behind closed doors. They should have played one game every few days gradually building up minutes for the first team players as pre-season went on. The back-up players could have got any game time they need by turning out for the under 23’s.

Ignore, I’m talking rubbish...again

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It should be reality. We are not very good in this League. We were not last year and will not be this year. The issue is whether we get more points that 3 others. No surprise losing to Watford, likely to happen whatever formation and selection, just the manner of loss. Watford can be top half. There is no chance we will be.

el punal

It should be reality. We are not very good in this League. We were not last year and will not be this year. The issue is whether we get more points that 3 others. No surprise losing to Watford, likely to happen whatever formation and selection, just the manner of loss. Watford can be top half. There is no chance we will be.

I know the team played a stinker yesterday but bloody hell mate can we leave the doom and gloom predictions until we’ve at least played a few more games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Except it was one of those games where 1 or more points was half expected. They're the points we should be aiming for. Yesterday looked pretty aimless in all departments-players, manager, coaching.

Yes, it was the first of 38 but I would be feeling a lot better with at least a point from a fellow 'relegation candidate' as per pre-season predictions.

I envisaged a 2-2, even dreaming of it the night before.

But Watford are better than Albion fans and others give them credit for. Season after season loads says they’re going down, then they go and beat a stack of teams at Vicarage Road and stay up.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Well I had manure, spuds, b'muff, chelski, the bin dippers and citeh all to win.
£120 return has helped ease the pain a little.

We still looked shit though.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I just wish our wingers could play as wingers instead of supplementary full backs. Chalk on their boots and all that. Still, Chris knows best as far as I am concerned. After all it's not my job on the line.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
That's it in a nutshell. We've had terrible away games, like Rotherham and Cardiff away a couple of years ago, with Huddersfield & Leicester as examples of last season. We weren't outclassed, we were just abysmal at all the aforementioned games. It happens.

Kipling said it best.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

We'll bounce back.

He was also spot on with his cake mix as well, smart cookie that one.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
About what it was yesterday; disappointed and slightly bemused that we were SO shite.

But the PL is a funny League - you can have bad runs for several weeks (Palace last season) and then recover. 9/10 wins should be enough to stay up.

Seems there is a lot of work to do to get signings up to speed quickly; don't think we can faff about worrying unduly about offensive payers' defensive duties, else it will be 14-15 games gone before they start. I do worry whether CH is quite bold enough at times.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just wish our wingers could play as wingers instead of supplementary full backs. Chalk on their boots and all that. Still, Chris knows best as far as I am concerned. After all it's not my job on the line.

I have waited until I saw the extended highlights before commenting on that. Warren Aspinall was calling out Bernardo for not being in position a couple of times, which is going to put pressure on March, and it's well documented that Knocky plays better when Bruno is on the pitch.

Having watched the highlights now, I can see what Warren was getting at. I wasn't going to give an opinion just based on a radio commentary.
You've also highlighted that our wingers are having to play as supplementary full backs which is a similar observation.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What worried me most was that we lost so embarrassingly to Watford - Watford, ffs - more or less unchanged from the pedestrian outfit that struggled for large chunks of last season.

If I'm feeling positive, it's that we've had these games where we simply fail to turn up against poor teams before - Huddersfield (twice) and West Brom away last season, for example. Maybe the challenge of facing a probable top four side next Sunday will motivate one or two more than a trip to unglamorous Hertfordshire.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Disappointed with how we started, was a huge lack of urgency from the players and for long periods we looked like strangers.

However, were some positives to be taken, Bissouma looked exactly what we need and AJ looked good (albeit briefly)

This, as it would seem that the regulars do not feel that their position in the team is under any threat.
Would have been different with pace, as proved in the later stages, and disappointingly to say, some commitment.
The team should be made to watch the replay and then asked what they think.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
This, as it would seem that the regulars do not feel that their position in the team is under any threat.
Would have been different with pace, as proved in the later stages, and disappointingly to say, some commitment.

Yes. God knows what Mullery would have done to that lot after a 'performance' like that. At least CH acknowledged how poor we were and hopefully is more aware of why than he cared to share at that interview.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
no my logic is to have wingers that do what wingers do and attack down the flanks to the 'goal line' (maybe better description than by-line) and create opportunities for a striker or two who would be in and around the box ... may sound old fashioned idea but maybe thats because I am oldish :p

strikers do not have to be target men ... they just have to be in the right place at the right time .. dont need to be a target man to be in the box to get on the end of a wingers cross

but thats just my thinking

But wingers don’t just go to the byline...

And strikers don’t have to be just target men, but they each have individual characteristics that make them suited to specific team roles. For example, Locadia has stated he isn’t particularly good at heading a ball... what would be the point in having wingers on their correct side, thus making them more predictable, and then having them get to the byline to loop in crosses for someone like a Locadia who can’t head it?...

Just from a tactical perspective, it makes little sense.

el punal

I’ve just read a report in the Argus that states Chris Hughton has warned the “regulars” to look over their shoulders. Good, if that is the case. The threat, perceived or not, hopefully will focus every player’s mind who were so poor on Saturday. I just hope Chris is positive for the Man Utd game and plays Bissouma and Jahanbakhsh from the start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here