Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club will be writing to those who purchased a ticket for Bournemouth [but didn't go]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's a shame all this had happened due to a one off shite game against Bournemouth, every away game this season is going to be packed whether or not this was introduced, scaremongering

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
What's the data protection law on this
Can clubs share attendance info with another club?

I work in medical and cannot tell anyone - parent/ spouse / family member /police / anyone at all if someone has attended an appointment without a court order ( or coroner) !!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Good work from the club. You've now got to be very stupid to buy an away ticket and either not attend or give it to a friend/sell it to a stranger. It's there in black and white - you will be banned and you will not have a leg to stand on.

For what it's worth, I think the club will now hold some random ticket inspections at upcoming away matches and make an example of those found to be breaking the rules. They don't need to ID every single person, they only need to catch a few and that will be enough to put everybody else off the idea of taking the piss again.

Yes, but what if you buy a ticket with every intention to go, but then have good reason not to (change to work rota, sickness, etc etc)? In such cases it would clearly be outrageous for the club to penalise someone (and indeed in such cases, giving the ticket to another BHAFC fan would be an entirely reasonable response - you can't go, but another fan is there to support the team), but I really can't see the club setting itself up as judge and jury of what's a reasonable excuse for not using a ticket you've bought and demanding evidence (sicknote, letter from your mum....??)...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
In taking these measures they have effectively punished everyone. We've all bought a ticket to a game with every intention of going, then at the eleventh hour something comes up. Work, family bereavement, illness. We're now expected to plan for this and ensure the club are notified before the fixture and that the ticket is also returned. In the clubs own words failure to do so could result in further punishment such as a loyalty points reduction or a ban on purchasing away tickets.

Incredibly impulsive by the club and I think they are trying to resolve a problem that isn't really there. Previous threads have established that the circumstances surrounding Bournemouth were unique.£10 a ticket and 10 loyalty points in a season when everyone is clambering for a ticket was always going to result in no shows snapping them up. Seemingly everyone but the club saw it coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And don't even think about giving it to a mate coz then you'll both get punished!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
If people take notice of this I predict we will have less people at away games as a result, which can't be right. Surely that exactly what the club are trying to avoid? The ability for one of your mates to pull out on the day because he has to work or the kids are sick or whatever the reason now means that seat will be empty rather than giving that to someone (almost certainly a decent Brighton fan) who wants to and can go.

As someone has already said a decent away ticket exchange would help with these rules but suspect unless it was somehow able to work on the day I doubt it would make much difference.

I wonder if the club have considered micro chipping us? Works on our dog.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm happy to put questions to the club for further understanding of the implementation of this.

The obvious ones is the last-minute illness/life emergency that means someone is unable to attend and there is insufficient time to return the ticket to the Albion. What is a fan to do? If they don't go at all then they may be punished. If they give the ticket to someone who can use it, they may also be punished. Which is the better, or least bad, action to take?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is an utterly ludicrous post. Barber's mismanagement of tickets and the loyalty system has created the situation. That his fix is to try and hard ball loyal, paying customers (and let's be clear, you have to have been loyal for a long time to have enough points to get away tickets this year) really is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

What he should spend his time doing, seeing as its his job and all, is create a system which is fair and allows ALL season ticket holders to get first dibs on all away games, and then sell the remaining tickets afterwards. Unfortunately he's created a totally convoluted system that demands that loyal, paying customers take advantage in order to get to the games they really want to get to.

And the worst thing about it is that by creating such a stupid system, he's stopped other loyal, paying fans that could have gone to such games from actually going. So no, you silly silly person, the buck doesn't stop with fans, it stops with him.

Your letter is in the post, I presume...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
so iam going to get tarred with the same brush because i was ill that day and did not go
The club will be more interested in those that frequently get ill, and may suggest these people don't keep wasting their money.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We only have ourselves to blame. I'm quite sure Barber would be rather doing a million other things than having to organise all this. Regardless of whether there are flaws in the system, it's the fans' fault for taking advantage.
Yes, it was tongue in cheek but it really seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut and has opened a bigger can of worms. more and more of the fun in going to the footie has been squeezed from us.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Fans should show respect to other fans by not cheating them out of tickets.

You're barking up the wrong tree. You should be asking why such a system is in place that can so easily be taken advantage of and that is to the detriment of so many other paying customers. I'm sorry, but the buck stops squarely with the club.

That they're compounding their initial mistake with a, quite frankly, childish response is a bit pathetic.

And FYI, I don't think any Brighton fan owes any other Brighton fan anything. If you think otherwise you're living in a world other than the one the rest of us are inhabiting.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yes, but what if you buy a ticket with every intention to go, but then have good reason not to (change to work rota, sickness, etc etc)? In such cases it would clearly be outrageous for the club to penalise someone (and indeed in such cases, giving the ticket to another BHAFC fan would be an entirely reasonable response - you can't go, but another fan is there to support the team), but I really can't see the club setting itself up as judge and jury of what's a reasonable excuse for not using a ticket you've bought and demanding evidence (sicknote, letter from your mum....??)...

Let the club know before the match so the ticket can be re-released.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's the data protection law on this
Can clubs share attendance info with another club?

I've worked in Information Security and I think the host club giving this data to the Albion could be in quite a sticky position.

Curiously, however, those who don't attend are unlikely to be able to take action since, as they didn't attend the host club does not have any entrance scan data on them. It's only those who do attend that the host club has data on, and seems to be passing to the Albion.

I might pursue Bournemouth with the ICO on this, because I'm interested to see how it plays out.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Your letter is in the post, I presume...

My letter would've been in the post, but having become a ST holder for a second time five years ago (living up north for a long period made it impossible to attend games regularly enough to justify a ticket), I don't currently have the requisite points to get any away tickets.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
This is an utterly ludicrous post. Barber's mismanagement of tickets and the loyalty system has created the situation. That his fix is to try and hard ball loyal, paying customers (and let's be clear, you have to have been loyal for a long time to have enough points to get away tickets this year) really is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

What he should spend his time doing, seeing as its his job and all, is create a system which is fair and allows ALL season ticket holders to get first dibs on all away games, and then sell the remaining tickets afterwards. Unfortunately he's created a totally convoluted system that demands that loyal, paying customers take advantage in order to get to the games they really want to get to.

And the worst thing about it is that by creating such a stupid system, he's stopped other loyal, paying fans that could have gone to such games from actually going. So no, you silly silly person, the buck doesn't stop with fans, it stops with him.

Thanks for the name calling. The system seems to most to be fair as it rewards both loyal season ticket holders and fans with a decent away history. There will be some who have come off worse out of this but if you went to a good proportion of away games in the last few seasons and have held a season ticket for a while it seems right that you should have first dibs. The problem is that some fans have taken advantage to get themselves more loyalty points - I guess that's the board's fault but it's also the fans' fault who are cheating the system. If no fans harvested points then none of this would have happened.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You're barking up the wrong tree. You should be asking why such a system is in place that can so easily be taken advantage of and that is to the detriment of so many other paying customers. I'm sorry, but the buck stops squarely with the club.

That they're compounding their initial mistake with a, quite frankly, childish response is a bit pathetic.

And FYI, I don't think any Brighton fan owes any other Brighton fan anything. If you think otherwise you're living in a world other than the one the rest of us are inhabiting.

I saw posts from regular posters, who wanted tickets for Bournemouth and couldn't get them, because others had got in first with no intention of going.
It's cheating in anybody's world.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
So Paul Barber should come up with a system that gives 24,000 people "first dibs" on 3,000 tickets? How is that even possible?

The system isn't the problem. The system rewards people who have supported the club both home AND away over many years. The problem is people trying to gain an unfair advantage by cheating it.

There's one massive flaw in your whole argument. Wanna guess what it is? I mean you've pretty much spelled it out yourself...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here