Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Small things that irritate you.....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Absolutely. It has even infected Radio 4.

Ah good old R4, I do try it occasionally, but it's never long before it morphs into the listening equivalent of riding a bucking bronco - how long you can hang on for before the hanging stench of middle class pomposity has you reaching for retune/throwing the radio out of the nearest window, whichever comes first.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But it doesn't, that's the point.

Take as an example. "I installed a new sales system at the company this week and I've been dealing with user complaints all day - we need less stupid people at this place." If used correctly then it means the company has workforce that's low on intelligence, if used incorrectly, it means that the company has some people who are bright but some workers who aren't: they're not the same thing at all.

I do take the general point that grammar and spelling shouldn't matter too much but they do when poor spelling/grammar create confusion.
yes. this highlights that the context is important rather than a blanket "less/fewer" rule, thats the irritation. i'll put spade away.

Last edited:

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
People in my office’s IT department seem incapable of speaking plain English. A typical e-mail of theirs reads: “We are currently experiencing intermittent issues. We are investigating these issues as a matter of urgency and will keep you updated as to our progress. Thank you in advance for your co-operation.”

Rather like automated messages that say “We are currently experiencing high call volumes…”, instead of “We are receiving a lot of calls…”, or simply “We are busy…”.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Loud eating, particularly crisps and apples
People who use Facebook to 'stalk' - they never post anything at all, but when you see them they will give you a detailed account of what you've posted......
'Like'
'OMG'
Adults using 'holibobs', 'Amazeballs', '3 more sleeps' and other such shite
Your/you're/they're/there/their/could of etc
Vegan/vegetarians aggressively pushing their agenda (each to their own but this annoys me for some reason)

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Drivers who indicate they are going right on a roundabout, but then go straight on!

Idiots who sit religiously, in the Right Hand lane of a dual carriageway,
when the left lane is completely empty (totally ignoring Highway Code rule 264!)

Drivers who find even navigating a supermarket car park, a little beyond their mental & driving capabilities!

Would this be Sunday drivers?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
1. The sound of someone scoffing crisps with their mouth open.

2. ********s not overtaking, whilst in the middle or outside lanes of dual carriageways/M-Ways, when there's plenty of space for them in the inside lane.

No 1 surely applies to the eating of all food.

Also people who gape all the time (please no smut) ie those people who are open-mouthed permanently - gormless idiots.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Loud eating, particularly crisps and apples
People who use Facebook to 'stalk' - they never post anything at all, but when you see them they will give you a detailed account of what you've posted......
'Like'
'OMG'
Adults using 'holibobs', 'Amazeballs', '3 more sleeps' and other such shite
Your/you're/they're/there/their/could of etc
Vegan/vegetarians aggressively pushing their agenda (each to their own but this annoys me for some reason)

I happened to mention to my relatively-recent-vegan boss that a picture of some pork chops in a magazine looked lovely, and that I could really eat them. Next thing I know, I'm aware of him standing over my shoulder playing with his phone. Then he pops the phone in front of me and was trying to make me watch a video of a cow being slaughtered! Nice.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Shop / counter assistants who ask:

1) "Do you want any bags today?". If I did I am more than capable of asking for them and the fact I have just plonked my opened rucksack on the counter probably suggests I don't.

This happens everytime especially in Tesco Holmbush. I usually retort with I should get it all in here at least I have done so far. Of course sales assistants work to a choreographed script mostly - there are some smarter ones who can see you don't need bags and you don't need reminding "how much you've saved by shopping with us today" they never bloomin' do it when it costs more.

It's usually the younger studenty types who don't do the tired routine thing.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The same threads within a couple of weeks of each other...

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
when you open a new packet of drugs and you ALWAYS open the end where the warning leaflet wraps over the sheets of pills.

aaaaaaagh!!!

( I have to take a lot too)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Gillette Razor blades in bullet proof plastic packaging.

Only becomes apparent when face is lathered up and hands slippery.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm not much of a moaner as the complaints department at SEAGULLS TV will testify to but ........................... when your in a shop/doctors ect about to be served or worse being served and the phone goes , the assistant stops serving you and answers the bloody phone , you Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaants

The inconsiderate and rude behaviour of foreign students

This, you would have though in all the years us British have going to the Spanish Costas, Mallorca, Canaries, Rhodes, Crete (Falaraki and Malia esp) and Aiya Napa they would have picked up a few tips on etiquette, politeness to locals and general decency on behaviour when out in public.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not much of a moaner as the complaints department at SEAGULLS TV will testify to but ........................... when your in a shop/doctors ect about to be served or worse being served and the phone goes , the assistant stops serving you and answers the bloody phone , you Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaants
When people say your instead of you're. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here