Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Matchday Experience at Palace…

I was too young to remember my parents taking me to the Goldstone, so can't comment on what that was like. But it's 2017, I'd prefer not to have a constant smell of piss wafting through my nostrils which I watch football personally.

You wouldn't have it your wish list I'm sure, it's just how things were, many fans that grew up in this era continued to go to the match and support their team

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
As much as I hate Palace I'm not joining in this one, I have very fond memories of The Goldstone some of which include being dangerously packed in, the pissy smell from the bogs and the worse smell from the burger bar. We all have different opinions on what we enjoy at the match, I had a feeling I'd be in a minority when I read the title thread "matchday experience"

I was thinking this too.

'Matchday experience' ? Used to just turn up and watch the football after a few jars at the local. From what I remember of a few years back, Selhurst has that old school feel to it. I'm not knocking it either.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I was thinking this too.

'Matchday experience' ? Used to just turn up and watch the football after a few jars at the local. From what I remember of a few years back, Selhurst has that old school feel to it. I'm not knocking it either.

Well yes it has that old-school feel to it, but at new school prices. And at new school prices you don't expect a pillar in your line of sight, or to not have enough room for your knees. Even Palace fans know it's a dump but they still persist in jealously slagging off the Amex..

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Its football you win some you lose some, not embarrassing its what happens.

Edit: and now here's the companion BBS thread, entitled Disgraceful Disabled Facilities

In denial or blatantly lying? Maybe you should spend more time on your own boards and less on ours. If you did you would read your OWN fans complaints about your OWN disabled facilities......ON SATURDAY!

Don't give us all that crap about "ohhh...that was years ago". It isn't. It is NOW. You should be ashamed and thoroughly embarrassed about the way you treat your disabled fans. Write to your potless chairman to complain. Better use of your time.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As much as I hate Palace I'm not joining in this one, I have very fond memories of The Goldstone some of which include being dangerously packed in, the pissy smell from the bogs and the worse smell from the burger bar. We all have different opinions on what we enjoy at the match, I had a feeling I'd be in a minority when I read the title thread "matchday experience"

You have fond memories of the pissy smell from the Goldstone bogs ? God I'd not want to find your hidden video or CD stash then.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sorry...had to post this. Complete realism from a Palace fan on their boards.

"Palace have spent a lot of money ensuring the ground is on a par with the team.

Today proved they've achieved that. "

You have fond memories of the pissy smell from the Goldstone bogs ? God I'd not want to find your hidden video or CD stash then.

Slight misquote, but come on people, you know what I mean, I just look back at a time when when Trip Advisor didn't exist and we only went for the football. Padded seats? Quilted bog paper? Pies within their sell by date? Jugs of Woo Woo in the bar?, fùck me ragged!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Slight misquote, but come on people, you know what I mean, I just look back at a time when when Trip Advisor didn't exist and we only went for the football, padded seats? Quilted bog paper? Jugs of Woo Woo in the bar, fùck me ragged!

Let you off, but you were getting perilously close to El Pres territory there.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
When i went to selhurst as an awaY fan i was offered burgers from a vat of brine..

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not going to take the P out of them for this, as the bottom line is maintaining a pace in the Prem Lg, and they're more likely to do that than us. They have plans to upgrade / replace their infrastructure, and remaining in the PL will go a long way to allowing them to do that... eventually.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Selhurst is so bad, even when they have a riot and burn the town down they leave the ground alone as it's not a challenge and already looks derelict.

Time for the PL regulations to specify minimum leg room on seats to allow people taller than 6' to sit in comfort, together with sea quality, toilet and disabled areas, and then give Palace 3 months to upgrade or close the ground down until achieved.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Its football you win some you lose some, not embarrassing its what happens.

In denial or blatantly lying? Maybe you should spend more time on your own boards and less on ours. If you did you would read your OWN fans complaints about your OWN disabled facilities......ON SATURDAY!

Don't give us all that crap about "ohhh...that was years ago". It isn't. It is NOW. You should be ashamed and thoroughly embarrassed about the way you treat your disabled fans. Write to your potless chairman to complain. Better use of your time.

That view from that part of the ground has been like that ever since we got promoted, BT / Sky put a studio there, yes that was half the section of the disabled places. This season they have in accordance with premier league stipulations added new disabled areas in both the main stand and the Arthur Waite stand, the one in the main stand was all but empty on Saturday. So there are better places for disabled to sit if they want to but if you want to sit at that particular point it has that restricted view and has had for the last 4 seasons...I know as I used to sit there, I moved when the studio went in.

So yes I did like that view but again Sky / BT dictated to the club where they wanted the studio, the club let us know and we could move if we wanted to.

I have read the ranting on that page but its really not new ( I sat there for 3 seasons before the studio) just a guess but I bet that thread would not have appeared if we had won.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
When i went to selhurst as an awaY fan i was offered burgers from a vat of brine..

That's how the burgers used to come at the Goldstone, with the smell of piss wafting down from the open sewer urinals. Maybe Palace are aiming for a retro theme.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That view from that part of the ground has been like that ever since we got promoted, BT / Sky put a studio there, yes that was half the section of the disabled places. This season they have in accordance with premier league stipulations added new disabled areas in both the main stand and the Arthur Waite stand, the one in the main stand was all but empty on Saturday. So there are better places for disabled to sit if they want to but if you want to sit at that particular point it has that restricted view and has had for the last 4 seasons...I know as I used to sit there, I moved when the studio went in.

So yes I did like that view but again Sky / BT dictated to the club where they wanted the studio, the club let us know and we could move if we wanted to.

I have read the ranting on that page but its really not new ( I sat there for 3 seasons before the studio) just a guess but I bet that thread would not have appeared if we had won.
Is it true that the new disabled section is open to the elements, meaning the wheelchair users will get a soaking when it rains? That doesn't seem very well planned if correct.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Is it true that the new disabled section is open to the elements, meaning the wheelchair users will get a soaking when it rains? That doesn't seem very well planned if correct.

The new ones in the main stand are front row, although under cover I would imagine that if the wind was blowing in your face so would the rain ! but that's not too different to most grounds. The disabled area in the AW stand runs the length of the stand about half way up, probably one the best views in that stand ( I have never been in it) but again it was all but empty on Saturday.

theboybilly

Fair play to Palace for staying in the Premier League but failing to spend anything on the ground will come back to haunt them, I'm sure when they got promoted the Chairman said they were going to invest for the future but apart from some cladding and new floodlights nothing has been done.

Replace the main stand with a Amex style West Stand rebuild the away stand and supermarket stand with similar more modern ones and you could have a decent ground with 4 different sides and it wouldn't cost much more than a couple of Premier League strikers.

Can't see anything happening now but when they do finally get relegated they won't be coming back up again and will have the worse ground in the Championship.

There is no room for a modern main stand without impacting on their already tiny (for a football club) car park. Somehow they are dreaming of building a hotel too - it'll end up being a downmarket B&B if anything

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here