Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere tonight

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
On the box sounded great. No choreographed drumming & droning.
Anyone who thinks Palace is a great atmosphere needs to give their head a wobble.
Utter joke club with a laughing stock of supporters.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No club does, you plonker.

Out of interest, were you at Wembley for Spurs v Albion? How did you rate Spurs' fans that night?

Yes, thought the support for them was non existent, as you say, difficult at home but some clubs do it, possibly, better than we do is all I’m saying.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It was great last night. The North looked to be united and all joining in, I could hear the West, which I often can’t. Hell, even the East Lower was on its collective feet a few times and joined in several chants other than the usual Aaaaaalllllbbbbbiiiiiiiionnnn drone that’s usually all they manage.

el punal

Sounded flat as ever. Think we need to come to terms with the fact that our atmosphere isn’t quite the same as other clubs and stop Pretending it’s any different. Some games it’s electric (shef wed 2nd leg) but in general it’s woeful compared to palace for example.

Truth hurts I know but it’s something we have to accept or almost unanimously look to change

Have you ever been to any of the Albion away games? You know . . . . ones like the Highbury Library for example, the noise was deafening from the passionate home fans. :shrug:

Brighton_Rose

Up the Albion!
Aug 13, 2011
Withdean Brighton
It was so tense I wanted a cushion to hide and someone’s bitten nail (not mine!) was under my seat! But great atmosphere and relief :love::love: proud of the team, so good.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great atmosphere last night, particularly towards the end when the players needed carrying through to the end.

I think we compare well with most grounds in the premier league it's really only Huddersfield and West Brom where we have been comprehensively outsung this season. Palace whilst loud in parts on saturday did not produce the 90 minute cacophony that we were all expecting, and as others have pointed out they recycle basic euro chants behind a poxy drum. It does seem fake to me.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I often criticise the North Stand for not matching the away fans, I sit on just about the half way line so in a reasonable position to make that comparison, but last night the atmosphere was superb, and the North Stand were great. Even in the 1901 shelf there was more than three of us singing. I guess when there’s a bit more volume the two sides of the NS can hear each other and join up, long may it continue.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
As i said in the match thread, i thought your support was very good last night. Good noise from all parts of the ground. Credit where credit is due. Our away support is usually excellent but was generally poor for some reason yesterday. Probably because a lot of ours only turned up to see the 'win'.

Unfortunately we are being steadily afflicted with the sense of entitlement that has killed Man U, AFC & CFC etc support over the years. Even 8-10 years ago our home support was regarded as among the best in the Premier League but we only seem to get 'up for it' for certain games these days.

The other thing that i have noticed over the years is that the first season a team gets promoted from the Championship their support is usually superb but steadily declines thereafter. Teams like Sunderland, Stoke & Swansea come to mind. I imagine that the first season the Prem is all new & shiny with new stadiums to visit but this novelty gradually wears thin as the slog of just trying to stay in the money league season after season grinds down their enthusiasm.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As i said in the match thread, i thought your support was very good last night. Good noise from all parts of the ground. Credit where credit is due. Our away support is usually excellent but was generally poor for some reason yesterday. Probably because a lot of ours only turned up to see the 'win'.

Unfortunately we are being steadily afflicted with the sense of entitlement that has killed Man U, AFC & CFC etc support over the years. Even 8-10 years ago our home support was regarded as among the best in the Premier League but we only seem to get 'up for it' for certain games these days.

The other thing that i have noticed over the years is that the first season a team gets promoted from the Championship their support is usually superb but steadily declines thereafter. Teams like Sunderland, Stoke & Swansea come to mind. I imagine that the first season the Prem is all new & shiny with new stadiums to visit but this novelty gradually wears thin as the slog of just trying to stay in the money league season after season grinds down their enthusiasm.[/QUOTE]

We'll take one season at a time ta very much :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Now that Lancing is fully operational is there any need for the boardroom and corporate offices to be at the Amex?
Would make room for a (limited) second tier in the North which would help the atmosphere/acoustic.
That said it is a lot louder on the pitch which is where the ground's acoustic design is intended to focus it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Now that Lancing is fully operational is there any need for the boardroom and corporate offices to be at the Amex?
Would make room for a (limited) second tier in the North which would help the atmosphere/acoustic.

Plans have been drawn up for exactly this - allegedly.

(They're hospitality seats though - not sure it would help atmosphere that much)

N17

Jun 21, 2011

The other thing that i have noticed over the years is that the first season a team gets promoted from the Championship their support is usually superb but steadily declines thereafter. Teams like Sunderland, Stoke & Swansea come to mind. I imagine that the first season the Prem is all new & shiny with new stadiums to visit but this novelty gradually wears thin as the slog of just trying to stay in the money league season after season grinds down their enthusiasm.[/QUOTE]

We'll take one season at a time ta very much :thumbsup:

Fair enough.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its notable how often the TV and written media, ie neutrals, mention what a terrific atmosphere it is at the Amex. Sometimes it can fall a bit flat through sheer tension or when we're playing shite (such as the Hudds game), but on the whole I think the atmosphere is at its very best when we are up against one of the "big boys", really up against it, and can see that the team is putting in a hell of a shift, as they did last night.

I simply do not understand anyone who thinks the atmosphere was lacking last night. It was great.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Great atmosphere last night, particularly towards the end when the players needed carrying through to the end.

I think we compare well with most grounds in the premier league it's really only Huddersfield and West Brom where we have been comprehensively outsung this season. Palace whilst loud in parts on saturday did not produce the 90 minute cacophony that we were all expecting, and as others have pointed out they recycle basic euro chants behind a poxy drum. It does seem fake to me.

Incidentally both clubs who stick us next to their singing sections with an incessant drum ringing in our ears. Also, both games they had alot to be loud about, we were shite on both counts.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I was there last night and thought the atmosphere was very good. Palace's is orchestrated with that ***ing drum and the recycled Euro chants as others have said - ours is much more natural I think.
Surprisingly because it was Spurs and I expected a lot more "tourists" there didn't seem to be as many as at some other games - and all the better for that too.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Quiet first half, noisy second half.

I'm sure our enthusiasm lifted the lads and helped them to hold on to the draw.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
I felt the fans were genuinely lion-hearted and a genuine 12th man last night. Good throughout, inspiring and spine tingling last 20.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I was there last night and thought the atmosphere was very good. Palace's is orchestrated with that ***ing drum and the recycled Euro chants as others have said - ours is much more natural I think.
Surprisingly because it was Spurs and I expected a lot more "tourists" there didn't seem to be as many as at some other games - and all the better for that too.

They don't seem to have as much of a plastic following as the other 'big boys'.. yet.

In some ways it must be exciting to be a Spurs fan with their new stadium which has been designed with atmosphere in mind. In other ways, I would be dreading the coming of the snobbish entitled wankers who populate the unimpassioned bowls of silence of their peers. They seem to be heading that way though after overhearing a couple of them on the way there, who didn't seem to like me correcting them on a few of their 'facts'. Looked more likely to keel over from a coronary than put up any kind of fight or rebuttal though.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Palace were quiet 2nd half when their team needed them most. Pretty poor.

Last night was a cracking atmosphere. WSU was rocking at times. North sounded decent and both backed each other up.

Far far better than most teams

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here